Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you recline in Economy on your flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you recline in Economy on your flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium
I recline, but always slowly. Same with when I lean the seat back up.

The unfortunate lady sitting next to me on my last flight had her iPad fall at least three times when the person in front flung their seat back at great velocity.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
Originally Posted by porciuscato
The solution is to make the fat, oligopolistic airlines like United (along with their overpaid union employees) actually compete. That way we could have more legroom at the same price or the same legroom at a lower price.:

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...rican-aviation

"Air fares are higher per seat mile in America than in Europe. When costs fall, consumers in America fail to enjoy the benefits. "

"The biggest four carriers in America between them now control 80% of the market, compared with just 48% a decade ago. "

"Not so in America: at 40 of its 100 biggest hubs, a single carrier now accounts for more than half of capacity. That pushes up prices. "

There need not be a trade-off between fares and legroom. The way to increase legrom is to increase competition. Open our skies! Repeal the out-dated Federal Aviation Act of 1938.
Back when airlines "competed" more, they also went bankrupt all the time.

At any rate, fares per seat mile are way, way down so it isn't correct that reduced legroom hasn't had an effect. If they are saving more money in Europe it is probably because Ryanair flies everywhere with Spirit's business model.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
Originally Posted by emcampbe
this. But I won’t fly Spirit, Frontier, etc....the lack of legroom (as low as 28” pitch) is only one of the reasons. If you think legacy air carrier CS is bad, try dealing with Spirit once they cancel your flight.

But many people will just search, click the flight with the lowest fare, and then complain about the consequences later (kind of like many people flying BE). The interesting thing is, while I don’t doubt that some people come out ahead, Id bet at the end, once you incorporate all the nickel and dining Spirit does, a significant amount of Spirit flyers end up paying more than they would vs. the higher upfront legacy fare.

but their seats are pre-reclined’
My impression is that there are two groups of Spirit flyers. The repeat customers actually like the airline, because they have learned all the complex tricks and hacks and know how to pay rock bottom airfare + only the fees that they think are worth it. For those people, Spirit allows them to fly all over the place cheap.

But there's another group who don't know the airline and just choose it off Expedia. And they hate the airline and often end up paying more than just buying a ticket on United or Delta, as you point out.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is not airline specific and there are existing threads in TravelBuzz, will move this thread there where the conversation can continue

Reclining your seat

Article: Your Reclining Airplane Seat Vs. The Lap Behind You: Who Owns the Air Rights
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I think a little recline should be ok if the meals are not being served. I flew LH on their A320 this month and I don't think the seats recline at all.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:55 pm

Domestic - I only recline if the front did so and I’m tight for space. But before that I always double check the back if there’s enough space.

international - I recline but double check if the back is okay. During meal times I always have my seat back up. Sometimes I ask the person behind if they’re ok (ie. I’m not killing their knee or something)

My workaround has been to manspread with my knees protected by the arm rest area instead.

having flown so many years and from 38” pitch to now 30”, I appreciate how it can affect people. I do think the airlines should just get rid of recline if the pitch is under 32”.

For me personally a bit of empathy and communication goes a long way.

Last time this happened, GHT Jr had a bad nose bleed later on in flight and the guy behind jumped right in and helped me.

Another time the lady behind was too cramped so I moved it up a little, later on found out she was connecting to the same flights and we hung out.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I don't find reclining helps much because economy seating doesn't recline much. I find the headrest wings are more useful.

Would you give up or reduce your carry on if airlines offered stretchers stacked up? What if the bed were 4 feet 6 inches and your head was pointed towards the window. There could be 3 layers, top, middle, bottom. Under the bottom would be a small area for luggage.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Domestic/Short-haul daytime flights? Absolutely not, especially since personal space is very limited on those flights and reclining basically implies that your personal space is more important than anyone else's on the flight. (If, in your head, you're saying "but it is," you're in the wrong here.)

Long-haul flights or domestic red-eyes (not that I've ever flown on the latter, to be fair)? Sure. But absolutely not during meal service until after everyone's tray/garbage has been collected. Eating in economy is so inhumane with how one must contort their hands/arms to cut their food that removing any amount of space for the person behind you is just incredibly rude. At night, when everyone is desperately trying to get four hours of sleep? Go for it, as long as you're slow to recline. Personally, I don't go all the way back - mostly in recognition that I am effectively intruding in the space of the person behind me.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I mostly fly longhauls, so yes I did recline every single time to rest and sleep. I put it up for meals and the landing.

Tall people who think that the last row with non-reclining seats is not comfortable have an obligation, not ensure they won't end up there.

It did happen to me on a few domestic flights, it sucks a little but isn't a big thing. I can still drink and read.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Except during meal service I will recline when it suits me. I will recline slowly. I do not ask permission. I do not tolerate people punching or kicking my seat. I do not complain about people in front of me reclining except during meal service. I do not punch or kick the seat in front of me. I do not pull on the seat in front of me when I stand up. If the person behind me pulls on my seat to stand I don't make an issue of it.
weero likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I don't recline, I am not sure but it doesn't matter what seat I am in I don't feel comfy reclined. However, if someone in front of me fully reclines I don't say anything but if I have to potty, I use the seat to help myself up and make every effort to bump it.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's exactly my strategy. I also make it obvious to visually check behind me before reclining to make sure the person knows it's about to happen.
Been awhile since I've been in E-, but at full recline on a UA 737, my knees are in full press, I get up frequently to prevent medical issues, and use the tray table to help pull me up vigorously, if you don't mind that, I don't mind you reclining.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Honestly, MOST flights I don't recline, if I'm really having trouble sleeping (I usually fly tired to make flights more bearable) then I might. If the plane is particularly empty I'll recline. I just don't find it does a whole helluva lot.

I do get a little pissed off when people recline into me though and that often forces me into a recline.

Some airlines are really good about reclines, I know ANA specifically has everyone sit up straight during meal time. A philosophy NOT shared by United, so I often end up eating my meal with someone's seatback invading my space. If the middle seat is open I don't worry about it much, but when elbow/shoulder space is at a premium, I'd really like to keep the space in front of me open.

I also find that some PEOPLE are habitual recliners. I'm not trying to turn this into a race thing at all and I wanna specifically state before this next statement, I LOVE Colombians, I really do, I love the country, I have a part time residence there, my girlfriend is Colombian, they're great. HOWEVER, they are RECLINERS...I swear, every last one of em. You can fly from BOG-MDE, it's a 20 minute flight and they'll be in recline mode before the plane even takes off. For whatever reason Avianca doesn't enforce the seats up straight thing all that much. They also love getting up into the aisle WELL before the plane comes to a complete stop, let alone the seatbelt sign coming off. But I digress.

I've never had anyone ask me if they could recline, I don't ask anyone, but I usually shoot a look back and I recline slowly. Nothing gets on my nerves more than the person who throws all their weight into the seat and throws it back, shaking my drink/jamming my laptop into their seatback etc. It never fails, that same person is always the one who seems to think the seat has more recline in it. So they spend the entire flight pushing their weight back trying to get an extra inch out of it somehow.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:07 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Immediately, every time. Airlines cramming too many seats in is not my problem. I paid for my space. If the person behind me needs more space, they can buy Y+ or F.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I don't feel the need to recline unless I'm going to nap. And then I do it slowly after first looking behind me. Don't want to crush or send anything flying behind me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.