Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What foreign currency do you keep?

Old Feb 7, 20, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

What foreign currencies do you keep a supply? How do you get that currency?

I keep about 8 different currencies, less than 10. When in a foreign country, I tend to use credit cards but will get currency. I know of a few places that give a better exchange rate. I haven't tried ATMs yet. (my credit union ATM card's network is just the US)

Last edited by A318neo; Feb 7, 20 at 6:08 pm
Old Feb 7, 20, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Answer for me:
Canada, USA, EU, UK, Switzerland, Japan, Australia, Singapore, minimal amount for India

Keeping foreign currency can be a pain in the neck. I had to rush to redeem my Swedish krona because they were changing theirs. The UK also changes but I never had a problem with having old money. I did have to specially use up my 1 pound coins about a year ago.

Last edited by A318neo; Feb 7, 20 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Canada, US, EU, Mexico, Japan are the only currencies of places I am likely to revisit.

From my visit to UK I had about £14 in coins that I sold to a friend. I still have small amounts in coins from Romania, Macedonia, Albania, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. I was hoping to encounter a coin donation bin in an airport on the way home or at least a Unicef donation box on a flight (which I haven't seen in years). That's how I got rid of other coins.
Old Feb 7, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Regularly I have US dollars, Canadian dollars, and Euros. Right now Iíve also got Norwegian Kroner and Indian Rupees.

As for spare change, probably about 20 or so currencies
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I just keep everything in case I go there again. Just found $100 Singapore dollars this week.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I keep Argentine pesos and Zimbabwe dollars.
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:56 am

Programs: LH FTL, EB*G(2)
I keep where I can forsee to return to that country/currency-area within 12-24 months (and inflation isn't already going bonkers).

Got biten by the UK change, too, since the timeframe to get rid of old bills was ridiculously short.
Old Feb 8, 20, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I currently have US Dollars, Canadian Dollars, Swiss Francs, Euros, HK Dollars and shrapnel in Swedish Krone, South African Rand and Argentine Pesos (the last two of which I fully expect to be worthless if and when I return). I regularly visit the USA, continental Europe and Hong Kong so I don't even try to run those down.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 8, 20, 6:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
USD and GBP because I travel there often. Anything else gets changed at the airport before my return flight.
Old Feb 8, 20, 7:54 am
was cslovacek

I donít keep any on hand permanently, but do order some right before a trip.

I received a shipment of Qatar and South Africa cash about a week ago for a trip we are leaving for this upcoming Monday.

I use https://currency.afex.com/ and they ship it straight to my house via Fedex. Theyíve had great customer service so far in the 7-8 times Iíve used them.

I always arrive at a foreign location with cash in hand.
Old Feb 8, 20, 7:58 am

Programs: American, Delta, United, Southwest, Marriott, HIlton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Avis, Hertz, National, Sixt
I'm in the U.S., I have some UK Pounds, Euros, and some Mexican Pesos
Old Feb 8, 20, 8:44 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Usd, cad, eur, chf, ntd, nis, krw, rmb, sgd, thb, idr, hkd

Hmm, I wrote this, and edited it, so all currencies are in capital letters as is the norm,
but for some reason FT will not permit all caps???
Old Feb 8, 20, 10:07 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
At present, I have US, Euros, and pounds as I travel to these countries often. I use a revolut card when in Europe and the UK.
Old Feb 8, 20, 10:15 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Pardon my naivety, but why do you all hold these currencies? Is it just because you had extra last time you went abroad? For most Western countries, a no-foreign-exchange-fee credit card and a debit card to pull out local currency seems to be plenty.

Chris
Old Feb 8, 20, 11:28 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
Pardon my naivety, but why do you all hold these currencies? Is it just because you had extra last time you went abroad? For most Western countries, a no-foreign-exchange-fee credit card and a debit card to pull out local currency seems to be plenty.

Chris
I have a stash of jpy since I go to Japan every year or two.
As for why I keep the cash, Japan is still a cash heavy society. Not every merchant takes credit cards, some have fairly high minimums, foreign cards are not accepted in ATMs unless itís a post office, 7-11, or one that specifically takes them.
Also the value of the cash gets eaten up by fees and rates exchanging back and forth between usd and jpy. Might as well just exchange once and be done with it.
kimberlyrose likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: