Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it a new trend for First class to no longer be offered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton

I’m not as in the game as I used to be regarding the travel industry. Just Looked at one airlines new 787 and see the have Econ, prem Econ, and “businessfirst”.

looking at a few other airlines, looks like I’m seeing only 2 class configurations. So generally speaking p, is first going to become history as time goes on?

Last edited by the phoenix; Jan 26, 2020 at 4:03 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You're U.S. based. The quick answer is that U.S. airlines offer "first" (Dom F) on domestic routes but rarely did they offer first (int'l F) on long haul international, at least in the past 2-3 decades, and if they did (certain airlines), it was usually only on the largest aircraft. As the seats turned into recliners, the old school int'l F (virtually identical to Dom F) got renamed as (int'l) BC.

FWIW, airlines such as Delta, Continental and Northwest did not offer int'l Fin the decade or two before they body-snatched/merged. USAir tried it for a while.

A true PE products (at least different seats from Y) is still rare for U.S. airlines.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
American, United, USAir have had first class cabins in addition to business class for long-haul flights, TWA and PanAm too.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
I see so I guess when I see KLM, Latam, Turkish and ElAl offer BC , it’s the new “first” ?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the phoenix
I see so I guess when I see KLM, Latam, Turkish and ElAl offer BC , it’s the new “first” ?
No, more like "that's the highest cabin we can reliably fill" (i.e., with paying pax, not mileage or non-revs). Sometime before the '80s, most airlines had F & Y. With the advent of int'l BC with recliner seats (some airlines, such as NW, had BC cabins that resemble today's PE) , most airlines dropped int'l F (usually P fare code). Some tried to hold on to F for a while but just dropped to BC (known as J or C as fare codes) as the top cabin. Generally int'l F was kept for select routes and not all a/c had them. e.g., while both BA and AF operated 777s, some only had BC while others had F too. Generally airlines based in countries where there were very high yield markets - tied to having major financial centres (notably Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, U.K., Germany and France) had FC. The Dutch are too cheap hence why KLM only offers WBC.

Some mentioned US. US only had P (one row!) on the A330-300s and never on the 767-200s. US also went bankrupt shortly after A330s came into service. UA and AA were the only U.S. airlines to widely offer F/P.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus, there are specific requirements (defined by IATA or ICAO or one of those orgs) of what constitutes "F" vs "J" vs "PE" and I think many airlines have found it too expensive to offer true F service.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Plus, there are specific requirements (defined by IATA or ICAO or one of those orgs) of what constitutes "F" vs "J" vs "PE" and I think many airlines have found it too expensive to offer true F service.
Are you serious?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Most of the US airlines offered First Class seats but had little to no concept of what First Class service was and so found it unprofitable as US customers were inclined to fly private instead. Business Class seats then improved markedly, making the USA First Class an uncompetitive product. The savvy US customers also found that the non-US airlines had much better service and so booked with them instead. But most of the major quality airlines continue to offer First and they differentiate it substantially from Business, with much larger seats or suites, fantastic food and great service on the ground, whereas Business Class tends towards flying dormitory-type service.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It ought to be noted that most major carriers' business class is nicer in most ways -- lie-flats, personal space / "suites," IFE, etc. -- than F class was before business class was invented. Take a look at the F cabins of BOAC or Pan Am 747s in the 1970s. moderate recline, crowded seating. A lot of today's J-class habitues would look upon those service standards as some kind of Geneva Convention violation.
whughes3, trooper, hhdl and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BearX220; Jan 27, 2020 at 9:02 am
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Compare QR Qsuites (a J-product) with the QR F product aboard the A380.
Not much difference. Travel vloggers claim that Qsuites in all is better than QR F.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
It ought to be noted that most major carriers' business class is nicer in most ways -- lie-flats, personal space / "suites," IFE, etc. -- than F class was before business class was invented. Take a look at the F cabins of BOAC or Pan Am 747s in the 1970s. moderate recline, crowded seating. .
Indeed, int'l F (before it was fare coded as P) seats were very similar to domestic F seats of today. Just a bit more recline and no leg rests, and seat pitch (but so did Economy in the day), so much so that a FA could walk/sueeze in front of you and set up the table with "linen" and cutlery, instead of just handing over a tray from the aisle.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Can you provide a link to one of these? I've never of heard of it., I would have thought the relatively detailed History of Airline Classes and Cabins would have such a reference, but don't see one. A dozen "what's the difference between first class and business class articles" similarly had nothing, typically "The first and most important thing to remember is that all seat specs and luxuries (or lack thereof), depend on what airline you’re flying, what airplane you’re on and if you’re on a short or long-haul flight."
Mwenenzi, trooper and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You're U.S. based. The quick answer is that U.S. airlines offer "first" (Dom F) on domestic routes but rarely did they offer first (int'l F) on long haul international, at least in the past 2-3 decades, and if they did (certain airlines), it was usually only on the largest aircraft. As the seats turned into recliners, the old school int'l F (virtually identical to Dom F) got renamed as (int'l) BC.

FWIW, airlines such as Delta, Continental and Northwest did not offer int'l Fin the decade or two before they body-snatched/merged. USAir tried it for a while.

A true PE products (at least different seats from Y) is still rare for U.S. airlines.
That was true until the last few years but now Delta, American, and United all offer real PE cabins.

Last edited by Zeeb; Jan 27, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I regard US airlines offering "businessfirst" service without also offering "first class" on many flights as a way to normalize what these classes mean across domestic and international sectors. For years before this we had a domestic "first class" product that was inferior to the "business class" offering on most overseas routes. And the "first class" service on long-haul overseas routes was unmatched by anything domestically or within North America. Now customers can select "businessfirst" and "first class" with consistent expectations what each class of service means regardless of which geographic sector(s) it's in.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Can you provide a link to one of these? I've never of heard of it., I would have thought the relatively detailed History of Airline Classes and Cabins would have such a reference, but don't see one. A dozen "what's the difference between first class and business class articles" similarly had nothing, typically "The first and most important thing to remember is that all seat specs and luxuries (or lack thereof), depend on what airline you’re flying, what airplane you’re on and if you’re on a short or long-haul flight."
You know, it may very well be a figment of my imagination. I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything. It's one of those things I think I heard a long time ago and just assumed was true, but maybe not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.