Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inappropriate "touching" on flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Inappropriate "touching" on flight

Hey guys, I flew delta yesterday in economy. I'm a 26 year old guy. I realize that space can be cramped. I was sitting in the aisle seat, and this girl was in the middle. We are both thin. I noticed she put the arm rest up between us shortly after we took off. She decides to use her laptop, and for about half the flight, her elbow was resting on top of my forearm, and would rub against my forearm whenever she typed. My forearm was not crossing over onto her seat. Now in all my years of travel, I've never had this happen to me. I was quite drunk after sitting in the lounge earlier, so I just sat there silently watching TV not saying anything.

Is this normal...?

Last edited by skiier; Jan 3, 2020 at 3:16 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:42 am

Neither her behaviour nor your's was normal.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skiier
Hey guys, I flew delta yesterday in economy. I'm a 26 year old guy. I realize that space can be cramped. I was sitting in the aisle seat, and this girl was in the middle. We are both thin. I noticed she put the arm rest up between us shortly after we took off. She decides to use her laptop, and for about half the flight, her elbow was resting on top of my forearm, and would rub against my forearm whenever she typed. My forearm was not crossing over onto her seat. Now in all my years of travel, I've never had this happen to me. I was quite drunk after sitting in the lounge earlier, so I just sat there silently watching TV not saying anything.

Is this normal...?
It's not normal behavior in my experience, but there are all sorts of people in the world. However, most strangers keep the arm rests down between each other and try not to intrude into the space of another on the plane. Why didn't you say anything to the person next to you if her behavior was bothering you? Even if it weren't bothering you, the polite thing would have been for the person next to you to ask if it was ok to move the arm rest up between the two of you and maybe explain why she wanted it up.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The time to deal with this was on the spot. If it was not important then, why is it important now?

Simply turn to the other passenger and say, "I would just as soon keep the arm rest down" push it back down and be done with it. Alternatively, if you do not care about the armrest, but do care about the touching, say, "your arm is on my lap, would you please move it"

If this is not availing, there is a call button or you may find a FA in the cabin and deal with the issue more privately.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:27 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Often1
The time to deal with this was on the spot. If it was not important then, why is it important now?

Simply turn to the other passenger and say, "I would just as soon keep the arm rest down" push it back down and be done with it. Alternatively, if you do not care about the armrest, but do care about the touching, say, "your arm is on my lap, would you please move it"

If this is not availing, there is a call button or you may find a FA in the cabin and deal with the issue more privately.
As this question appears to have been answered, I am closing the thread.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.