Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by txflyer77
There are two things American airports do better than overseas airports:

1) Lack of bus gates

2) Not forcing you through a duty free maze

Boy I hope we never screw those up.

(And I've definitely reached the baggage carousel before my bag at HKG)
3) Domestic to International connections are most of the time efficient
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
3) Domestic to International connections are most of the time efficient
The lack of exit passport control is a definite plus - where else is this the case? UK?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by pinniped
How 'bout we just use "it's a bad process" as the reason? @:-) Snow or not, I absolutely hate deplaning to a bus and adding a half-hour to my travels.
This, exactly. Bus gates sounds like the stupidest thing ever. People don't exactly line up and get on and off of vehicles quickly.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OskiBear
The lack of exit passport control is a definite plus - where else is this the case? UK?
Mexico, for starters
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:13 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tentseller
1) ^

2) US airport's flights are majority domestic. US street price for booze is often lower than any duty free prices. I don't smoke so I I don't know tobacco prices. I have allergies so the lack of a fragrance alley is Godsend.

HKG the train taking humans to the baggage carousel runs faster than the baggage train
The escalators/elevator to the HKG train take longer than the train (particularly given the usually escalator passengers).
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Mexico, for starters
As long as you don't lose your exit card...
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Canada?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The escalators/elevator to the HKG train take longer than the train (particularly given the usually escalator passengers).
Forgive them, they do not know the local protocol of escalator use to ensure HK style efficiency.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:16 pm

I think the reality is outside of the people that fly a lot, the average person that takes a flight almost never experiences a wait to get to a gate, so there's no reason they'd *want* bus gates. I travel more than the average american, but far less than most people on here do, and I honestly couldn't even tell you the last time I've had to wait for a gate on landing. At a minimum, it's been years. The last one I can recall involved winter operations, and nope, sorry, no interest at all in deplaning outside to a bus in the middle of bad weather in MSP.

As for the luggage taking a long time thing, I'm not sure how much of that is more urban legend than anything else these days, or if not, then something the airlines could really control if they want to. I'm generally stuck with Delta, who's made an effort to speed up luggage handling. I know a lot of people joke about it, but from my experience, it's been a noticeable difference from before they started making guarantees about how long it would take. If I'm flying coach, by the time I get off the plane, hit a restroom, and make it to baggage claim, it's rare that my bag either isn't already there or isn't off in a few minutes. Even flying first, I've found they generally do a reasonable job of getting the priority tagged bags out first, and it's rarely been much of a wait. If Delta can do it, there's no reason other airlines couldn't if they wanted to. (Heck, my last flight, they had all the bags unloaded and the belts had stopped before I got there.) The last time I had a bag actually take what I'd say was an unreasonable period of time was a late night flight shortly before Delta started that program.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cardsqc
As for the luggage taking a long time thing, I'm not sure how much of that is more urban legend than anything else these days, or if not, then something the airlines could really control if they want to.
I think it's something we've historically kvetched about, sort of like how airplane food is bad and hotel mattresses are terrible. Sometimes it actually isn't that bad.

Some airlines have improved baggage service to the point where the app shows if your bag has been scanned onto your connecting flight.

The one time last year I had a baggage issue, I knew it before I landed: the app had alerted me that the bags had misconnected. (Not surprising, as *I* barely had time to run from one plane to the next before the door closed.)

I know WN baggage handling at Midway was notoriously bad for a period of time. (Is it still?) AA at MIA was always a struggle. The early days at DEN were bad but I haven't had serious trouble there in years, and most of my Denver trips include golf clubs or a snowboard. I usually fly carry-on only, but baggage handling problems or serious delays seem pretty rare these days. Perhaps restricting many pax on legacy airlines to 0 checked bags and many others (including me) to 1 bag has actually helped the operation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.