Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giving up First Class seat to Military personnel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
No. I do not share the American fascination with or adoration of the armed forces.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by quirrow
Meanwhile in Singapore, citizens question why military officers gets to fly Business class on flights for overseas training. Link to story here. Asians do not generally worship armed officers as much, I think, but Americans seems to have a high pre-occupation with regards to their armed forces. Not saying that we should not give them due respect, but adulation to the point of infatuation can result in erroneous judgement. In some developing parts of the world, the military might be contentious so people from these regions might not view the military in a good light, so you have got to account for these as well.
I think a lot of this comes from the fact, that has a country.. USA has troops all over the world, protecting the interests of countries, who otherwise may not have the resources available to do this on their own.
There are probably very few regions in the world , that do not have troops from the USA , not stationed there, or stationed near by
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:43 am

Never! But why do you ask? To brag about your "good" deed?
Badenoch likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:52 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
The Situation is correct. The vast majority of people in the military sit at a desk and never see combat. They hardly hold a position that Americans imagine they do.

Further, they have rules on accepting gifts and on doing anything that calls their ethical (or financial) character in to question. The disagreement in this thread alone is sufficient evidence that this is a gray area. You may think it's a selfless act, but they are not allowed to accept such an offer. You're putting servicemembers in a very awkward position by offering.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by williwaw
Just be mindful that DoD employees including uniformed personnel have ethics rules regarding gifts. Transportation benefits are explicitly in DoD policy as gifts. It is probably not going to be an issue in this case (unless you are employed by someone that could be classified as a prohibited source.) But it could cause some concern.
I work for the feds so i know this....

An active duty member can not take this. This does have value.

You can buy a drink for them or a meal---but taking a first class ticket whose value is well over $25 is illegal for them to do it and they can be fored if found out they accepted it.

If it was a broader promotion like the promos from restaurants on veterans day where active duty eat for free---this is allowed because it isnt targeting 1-2 people but thousands--its ok.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by quirrow
Meanwhile in Singapore, citizens question why military officers gets to fly Business class on flights for overseas training. Link to story here. Asians do not generally worship armed officers as much, I think, but Americans seems to have a high pre-occupation with regards to their armed forces. Not saying that we should not give them due respect, but adulation to the point of infatuation can result in erroneous judgement. In some developing parts of the world, the military might be contentious so people from these regions might not view the military in a good light, so you have got to account for these as well.
The feds would not pay for business class tickets on international flights. I fthe uniformed person has miles to upgrade then they can on their own dime.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by rebadc
I don't give away my seat to military personnel.
They are no more special than my daughters preschool teacher or cancer doctors.
They have chosen a profession like we all do; its a noble profession that takes dedication and sacrifice.
I have bought Starbucks for military personnel on occasion in the Airport just as I sometimes do for a random stranger just to pay it forward.
because that is under $25 that is allowed.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
With all of the stories going around about how white nationalists are running amok in the military (and how the Senate just voted to not vet them during recruitment), the whole soldier-as-hero narrative keeps getting further and further from reality. Yeah, maybe in WWI and WWII, the soldiers in the trenchers were absolutely heros. But the line between good and evil has become quite blurred in the last 80 years, and many of our volunteer soldiers are not nearly as altruistic and noble as some people in the media and government want to convince that they are. (BTW, my husband did serve in the Army, and I know many others who have served as well, and no, they are definitely not all good people).
Exactly. I've lived near military bases and too many bad incidents. Are there good people in the military, of course, but there are lots of good people serving the country in other ways too. I'd rather see our country become less militaristic.

Originally Posted by djp98374
I think its an overreaction from vietnam days when service members were villified even though many were drafted.

Now its all volunteer force and the movies and book have portrayed them as heros. politicians milk them for all their worth.
This. I also think 18 years of nonstop war where the bulk of Americans are not impacted but the poor are overwhelming the ones serving also makes many people feel guilty. Again, I'd rather work to change our culture.
downinit likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ft101
Most would use the adjective "strange" rather than "good".
You must not be an American.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I don't do this for recognition but posted here so everyone on FT would know how generous I am
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Nope ... and not going to do it. Most of my flights are long haul and I need my rest. They chose their profession like I chose mine.

Sorry .. not sorry.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by fotographer
I think a lot of this comes from the fact, that has a country.. USA has troops all over the world, protecting the interests of countries, who otherwise may not have the resources available to do this on their own.
There are probably very few regions in the world , that do not have troops from the USA , not stationed there, or stationed near by
Other countries' troops have fought and died in US-led military actions (see: Iraq. see: Afghanistan. To name two.) I don't see anyone falling all over themselves to offer up their FC seats to military personnel from those countries.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LTBoston
Other countries' troops have fought and died in US-led military actions (see: Iraq. see: Afghanistan. To name two.) I don't see anyone falling all over themselves to offer up their FC seats to military personnel from those countries.
so true... and you are right... about not giving up seats for the Military .. I wonder, if members of the arms forces from other countries dont travel in their uniform to avoid attention.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:40 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by fotographer
if members of the arms forces from other countries dont travel in their uniform to avoid attention.
The US military considers keeping a low profile as good "force protection". Most of the military is specifically directed not to travel in uniform so as to not draw attention.
Further, while it's nice of airlines to offer pre-boarding to military, using this benefit specifically identifies someone as being in the military. Again ... something service members are taught to avoid.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Are the people who give up their premium seats to members of the military former military themselves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.