Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Locking checked bags? Should one do it? Do you do lock your checked bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Locking checked bags? Should one do it? Do you do lock your checked bags?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:19 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Often debated in all the travel forums and both sides have their points and are sure they are right.

Any "professional" can of course break any lock, password, etc. etc if they are determined, but a lock like the one on your luggage, house, car, computer etc. just makes it a little more difficult. The less professional or rank amateur which target will they pick the easy one or the hard one? By the thoughts of some here, I'd think they leave their house, car unlocked too, after all any professional can break in them in seconds or less.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, USAirways, Hilton, Hyatt, Loews, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I lock my bags but only to guard against them accidentally opening.
Same here. I have a TSA compliant lock and have still found the "TSA was here" note in my bag a couple of times.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by degas1900
Same here. I have a TSA compliant lock and have still found the "TSA was here" note in my bag a couple of times.
That's, uh, why they require you to have a TSA compliant lock. So they can open it, look at your stuff, leave the note, and relock it.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't check bags but I have taken to the habit of locking my bag when it's in the overhead on an international long-haul flight - particularly overnight when I plan on sleeping. Not that I have anything of real value in my bag, but I don't really want anyone messing with it during the flight. I usually lock it and then slide the zippers to the far end of the bag that is not facing the aisle/latch. If someone wants to rifle through a bag inflight, they can hopefully do it to someone else as mine will be a bit more annoying to to contend with.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:05 am

I tried the little locks a few times, even TSA compliant ones. They just cut them off anyway. At this point, if you want to rumage through my dirty clothes, knock yourself out. lol. I will save the 6 bucks for yet another lock.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Easy way to use a non-TSA lock domestically is just to check a fire-arm. TSA inspects the contents while you're present (if necessary) and the luggage/case must be locked with a non-TSA lock. Apparently DHS knows it's staff steal stuff and don't want to deal with the hassle involving a gun.
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by AceReport
Easy way to use a non-TSA lock domestically is just to check a fire-arm.
Not so easy if you're like most people and don't have a gun.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Locking luggage serves one purpose and one purpose only - alerting thieves to the fact that the bag contains something valuable.

Never check in anything you would not be willing to throw in the trash. I say this, not just because of theft, but also mishandling, damage, disappearance, etc.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by ft101
A gun is cheaper than a lot of the luggage I see around and is definitely less expensive than an iPhone.....
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I bought a starter's pistol for this purpose for less than $25 when this security theatre started to ensure my business equipment's safety during transport.
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:06 pm

A gun is cheaper than a lot of the luggage I see around and is definitely less expensive than an iPhone.....
A lot less desirable too, that's why most people don't have one making your suggestion that it's the easy option moot.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A cheap starter pistol with no ammunition is a gun as far as TSA is concerned.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:48 am

A lot less desirable too, that's why most people don't have one making your suggestion that it's the easy option moot.
Less desirable? I guess that's a personal preference I quite enjoy them.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:43 pm

Less desirable? I guess that's a personal preference I quite enjoy them.
Your suggestion is not a practicality for most travellers, no matter your personal preferences.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:23 pm

Your suggestion is not a practicality for most travellers, no matter your personal preferences.
Your statement was about desirability not practicality. In practice it's often quite easy to do unless going to NY, IL, HI, or CA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.