Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What country have you been to the most...but never visited its capital city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What country have you been to the most...but never visited its capital city?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Turkey and USA for me
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
What counts as the city? One can fly into IAD and do business in VA or MD without stepping foot into DC proper
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
An interesting question! There are a number of countries I’ve been to once without visiting the capital, but for multiple times I can think only of Switzerland (5 times) and Brazil (twice).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
In with the Canadian contingent on this. I've probably been to Canada 20+ in my life and never been to Ottawa.

I wonder if there's another thread - what country's capital city have you been to the most times without ever having been anywhere else in the Country?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:39 pm

Switzerland, Germany and USA for me.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Mexico and Brazil. Been in more states of Brazil than the USA.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I honestly don't know! There are a few countries I've been to once without visiting the capital (Turkey but no Ankara, Zimbabwe but no Harare) but for all the multiple-visit countries I believe I've actually spent time and effort to visit the capital.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Gotta be Canada, have been there dozens of times but never to Ottawa
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Turkey then Brazil, and Canada if visiting Ottawa as a child doesn't count.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by croberts134
Well I lived in Australia for 10 years without ever having been to Canberra.
You’re not missing out on much 😉

depending how we’re defining “visited” here, NZ is probably top of my list (I transited WLG but didn’t go into town). Alternatively Myanmar, Mexico, Indonesia, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by DCAFly
In with the Canadian contingent on this. I've probably been to Canada 20+ in my life and never been to Ottawa.

I wonder if there's another thread - what country's capital city have you been to the most times without ever having been anywhere else in the Country?
Same. 20+ trips to Canada (all but 2 or 3 for work) and never Ottawa.

#2 is Mexico. 10+ trips, always Cancun or Cabo (note that only two of those trips were personal, others were 'work club' type of trips).

I've only been to (about) 30 countries, and for the most part have only hit each these countries 1x other than UK.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by croberts134
I have visited New Zealand probably 50 times without ever being to Wellington.
Surprised to see NZ mentioned here several times. IMO Wellington is the nicest city in NZ!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I had been to Switzerland several times but only got to Bern for the first time this year. Bern is actually a great (albeit expensive) city to visit.

Guatemala, Slovakia and Iceland are the three existing countries I can remember being in but not having visited their capitals. I was in the former West Germany but never got to Bonn.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Done Ottawa, DC, Bern, Bonn, Madrid, Athens, Abu Dhabi, Delhi, Riyadh and Haag - to name just some of more popular destinations where most visitors rarely see the capitol. But despite having been to Turkey around 50 times, never been to Ankara.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Australia visited twice transited three more times and have never been to Canberra. New Zealand lived there for 9 months and have never been to wellington. India visited once never been to New Dehli. South Africa from Cape Town but have never been to Pretoria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.