Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your amenity kit?

Old Nov 25, 19, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

What do you do with your amenity kit if you are connecting on a domestic flight? I am not talking about what you do with it after you get it home, but rather say you got an amenity kit on your flight from Dubai, you then have to clear immigration and customs, then you need to clear security again for your connecting flight to the west coast. You amenity kit contains liquids and gels. Do you remove that stuff and put it in your 3-1-1 bag? Simply ditch the stuff in the nearest trash bin? Stick it in your carry-on and hope they don't see it?
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: QF WP
I usually stick it in carry on in itís raw form; if challenged I will put the contents in the ziplock bag as I always have space. Or they can toss the contents if they insist. Hasnít been an issue yet
SanDiego1K and Lefly like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I leave it on board. There’s nothing in them I need.
Old Nov 26, 19, 2:49 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Never been an issue. Security staff know what it is and where it's come from so don't bother too much. Only once has my bag been picked on for manual check at CDG, the agent picked it up, turned it round, put it back and shut my bag.
Old Nov 26, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Irrelevant- deleted.
Old Dec 1, 19, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
What do you do with your amenity kit if you are connecting on a domestic flight? I am not talking about what you do with it after you get it home, but rather say you got an amenity kit on your flight from Dubai, you then have to clear immigration and customs, then you need to clear security again for your connecting flight to the west coast. You amenity kit contains liquids and gels. Do you remove that stuff and put it in your 3-1-1 bag? Simply ditch the stuff in the nearest trash bin? Stick it in your carry-on and hope they don't see it?
I generally put them in my carry-on until I can transfer it to my checked luggage. As others have mentioned, most security re-screens understand you may be in transit and won't make a fuss... I usually have a 3-1-1 bag on me (for hand sanitizer and moisturizer). If they ask, I tell them I'm in transit (and they are usually screening specifically transit passengers vs. people coming in from landside). If they ask to ditch the liquid, then no biggie. Just don't like to them about it as the penalty is not worth it.
Old Dec 1, 19, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
I leave it on board. Thereís nothing in them I need.
Same here. I have yet to find anything in an amenity kit that's worth the hassle of cramming it into my carryon.
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by LTBoston View Post
Same here. I have yet to find anything in an amenity kit that's worth the hassle of cramming it into my carryon.
My issue with that is that opened/unused kits are often thrown out after the flight (or hotel stay) If possible, I collect them and when I know I'm passing a shelter or someone dealing with community services, I'll drop them off for them to use. You'd be surprised at how grateful the people are for them and at least they get used.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best thing about the amenity kit is the little zippered bag it comes in, which is excellent for storing things like cables, smaller electronic accessories. I have regularly ditched all the contents and kept the bag. But currently I have enough little zippered bags so I do what you do.
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
The best thing about the amenity kit is the little zippered bag it comes in, which is excellent for storing things like cables, smaller electronic accessories. I have regularly ditched all the contents and kept the bag. But currently I have enough little zippered bags so I do what you do.

This. Other than the pen and the combs, which I tend to loose ll the time. I usually don't go through them until I get home, though.
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Liquid bottles aren't large enough to bother securiry/customs.
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by LTBoston View Post
I have. I'm currently using mini Clarins moisturizers i got from somewhere. I cant remember which airline.
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:13 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Definitely love those bags - think it’s a Dopp? I forget, but I love them. I especially enjoy them at swimming pools because I can put my essentials inside without them getting wet :-)
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I shove the liquids that I want into my 3-1-1 bag. The rest of the kit - if I like the exterior - is shoved into my backpack.
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I leave it intact like nancypants said. I do save them, and I do use the products over time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: