Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's in my sky today?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

What's in my sky today?

Can anybody tell me how to find out what's flying in my area today?

Several times over the past few days a line of fighter jets has gone over our neighborhood, roughly in groups of 5, and it looks like they are heading for NAS Horsham, which has been closed for a couple years. I haven't seen this many fighters since I used to live in the flight path for NAS Moffett Field, but that's a sound you don't forget.

Currently (Nov. 17, 3:40 pm - 4:10 pm ET) they appear appear to be making repeat passes over the area, in roughly a straight line while in our sight.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
For ~$100 you can build a ADS-B receiver that will give you a premium account to flight aware. Can see everything overhead, even those who don't show up on the main site.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
The prime site for ADSB display is FlightRadar24, but it filters out most military traffic. ADS-B Exchange ? World's largest co-op of unfiltered flight data shows a lot more...
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
For ~$100 you can build a ADS-B receiver that will give you a premium account to flight aware. Can see everything overhead, even those who don't show up on the main site.
That's kinda overkill for the situation. I was hoping somebody who tracks what's flying (hobbyist/military fan) might know or have a simple way to find out what those fighters, which I think were F-15's but not sure on that, were doing in this area.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
They were practicing for and then conducting a flyover for the Eagles game:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/horsh...horsham-sunday
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by realtyworldfranchise
The normal passenger planes are different than other planes like military ones, so they are noticeable in the sky as well. Moreover, even if they are not normal planes, it still shouldn't be a thing to worry about.
Curiosity isn't the same as worry.

And I know military planes when I see them - I lived in the flight path for a Naval Air Station for a decade.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
They were practicing for and then conducting a flyover for the Eagles game:

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/horsh...horsham-sunday
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.