Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First Class and Picky Eaters

Old Oct 30, 19, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

One of the attractions/benefits of first class is an elevated food experience. But as airlines get trendy with food, sometimes it turns out there is nothing appealing, or even tolerable, on the menu. What do you do in those cases? You can choose one of the special meals, but in that case you are also running a chance it is something you don't like either.

Last edited by Cloudship; Oct 30, 19 at 11:47 am
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Simple -- pack your own food on board and enjoy the drinks and the lie flat seat.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:14 pm
mhy

Programs: JAL Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Don't eat on board - eat in the lounge, or at a restaurant before boarding. If it's a flight with more than one meal service, bring your own meal for when you get hungry.
obscure2k, cawhite and jerseytom like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
I'm not sure what you mean by "trendy," can you give an example?

The simplest thing for a picky person to do is supply their own food that conforms to their requirements.
Kannai likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:00 pm

My mom is extremely picky. When we fly together, I go for a choice of whatever they have and she pre-orders the bland meal. If I need to trade something with her, I will. But I always try to get her to grab something to take on. Sometimes there will be something in the snack basket she likes too. If I ever take her overseas, I will definitely be packing some stuff for the flight. She will pick at things for 4 or 5 hours when we fly to the other coast, but I don't want her starving for 10 hours.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "trendy," can you give an example?

The simplest thing for a picky person to do is supply their own food that conforms to their requirements.
If I don't know what it is on an English menu, and when it arrives on the plate, and I still don't know what it is.
Old Oct 30, 19, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Pick a predictable special meal (like fruits meal), bring your own supply of whatever you want to eat or eat in a restaurant before hand.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExP
For quite a few airlines you can see their menu by route online. I am assuming you arent flying one of those airlines.
Old Oct 30, 19, 6:39 pm

I'm not trying to be a smartass..... but what are you really expecting as an answer? You're 38,000 feet in the air. Obviously, you aren't going to be able to leave and get any other food.... and nobody is going to bring you anything other than what is on the plane..... and your tastes are unlikely to change during the flight. So, where does that leave you????? Eat ahead of time or bring your own food seem to be the only options unless someone here has some amazing super powers.
Often1, NPF, IndyHoosier and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have three choices:
1. Pick something on the menu.
2. Pre-order a special meal.
3. Bring your own food.

If you are flying in F on one of the ME3, you may be able to have a menu of your choosing. If anything else, it's Door 1, Door 2, or Door 3.

Not sure what you are asking beyond the obvious.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I'm not trying to be a smartass..... but what are you really expecting as an answer? You're 38,000 feet in the air. Obviously, you aren't going to be able to leave and get any other food.... and nobody is going to bring you anything other than what is on the plane..... and your tastes are unlikely to change during the flight. So, where does that leave you????? Eat ahead of time or bring your own food seem to be the only options unless someone here has some amazing super powers.
I'm not expecting an answer, I am expecting a conversation. Well, I was hoping for a conversation, anyways, not sure if I was expecting one or not.
darthbimmer and obscure2k like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:02 pm

I've not noticed airlines getting trendy with food, but there was a poster on the EK sub forum a few days ago wanting veggie meals as standard. Crazy!! If you want something non main stream deal with it yourself.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:06 pm

Programs: QF WP
I suppose if you’re in F and the options are weird you could ask for a meal from down the back, which I suspect is likely to be more pedestrian
spamman808, stc, cawhite and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Or fly private and eat whatever your imagination can come up with.
Jaded_Elf likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I am a picky eater. There are certain fairly common foods I simply do not like the taste of. (Yes, I've tried them. Generally several times. They turn my stomach. I can't explain why.) Anyway, as a result I plan ahead so I'm not relying on airline meals to satisfy my hunger. That's not to say I never eat airline food. I enjoy the food offered about 2/3 of the time. But just in case it's one of those one-in-three times I plan ahead. On long trips I plan my schedule either to eat at the airport before my first flight or during a connection. I also pack emergency food such as protein bars and a small bag of almonds in case it's 8 hours since my last real meal and everything on the menu is a fail.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: