Best airport hotels for avgeeks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best airport hotels for avgeeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I've done a bit of plane watching the Hyatt @ BOS and the Hilton @ ORD, but my favorite is the Hilton @ LAX. With all those wide bodies taking off and landing, it is quite the sight.

A bit off topic, but in the same vein; I once rented a suite at the Drake to watch the Chicago Air Show. That was awesome. Brought the family and took my binoculars. Did room service for some munchies. Everyone had a great time.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
ORD Hilton. All even numbered rooms from the Honors level (level 9) or higher are great. All you need is a Hilton Honors account to be eligible to stay on that level, no status needed.

MIA Hilton Blue Lagoon. The corner suites are expensive, but the ones with a balcony can give great views if they are landing westbound. You'll want the higher floors as the lower floors are screened because of the lagoon flies.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I second (third?) the Renaissance at ATL. Great viewpoint and it’s walking distance to the Delta museum. I’ve also stayed at the Sheraton at LAX with a view of the south runways, but it’s been a long time so I don’t know how it is now.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
This is the early morning view of the lounge area of the TWA hotel, with the Constellation in the background:

mhy, strickerj and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I have an overnight at the LHR Renaissance, coming in from TRV via DOH and out to VCE the next morning. Any rooms to request?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver
Plane spot from a hot tub

The waterpark at the gaylord in dallas sits almost directly under the landing path for DFW. Sitting in a hot tub watching planes fly overhead is pretty cool...
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I have an overnight at the LHR Renaissance, coming in from TRV via DOH and out to VCE the next morning. Any rooms to request?
You have to specifically ask for a runway view room -- it's considered an upgraded room, so either you booked it already or hopefully you can leverage your Marriott status to request the upgrade. Have only stayed once so don't know if there are any real differences in the runway view rooms (I was upgraded as a then Marriott Plat before Titanium became a thing) -- but in my one stay it seemed like there was one long hallway that was parallel to the runway so being in any room on the top floor (believe 3 is the highest at the Ren) should give you some nice spotting
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Duke787
You have to specifically ask for a runway view room -- it's considered an upgraded room, so either you booked it already or hopefully you can leverage your Marriott status to request the upgrade. Have only stayed once so don't know if there are any real differences in the runway view rooms (I was upgraded as a then Marriott Plat before Titanium became a thing) -- but in my one stay it seemed like there was one long hallway that was parallel to the runway so being in any room on the top floor (believe 3 is the highest at the Ren) should give you some nice spotting
I will request in advance, Bonvoy Plat so hopefully they oblige.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
The second floor isn't bad either. The view was wonderful, and the fence wasn't in the way at all although those might be more expensive (deluxe queen?) rooms as well. I got comped the deluxe room because the A/C wasn't working in the room they gave me the night before, and was asked to bear with it for one night as they were full.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Hi,

There is probably a thread on this in the Marriott Bonvoy forum but any runway view room should be good as the rooms are parraell to the runway ( it is a relatively low story building ( 4 floors in total IIRC)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
ORD Hilton. All even numbered rooms from the Honors level (level 9) or higher are great. All you need is a Hilton Honors account to be eligible to stay on that level, no status needed.
Oh, yeah. My 5-year old granddaughter has been to Chicago with me 3 times (easy flight from her home in DSM). The first time we stayed there and got the airport view. I asked her if she'd like to try a hotel in town.

Nope. She wants the airport view.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For my money the Renaissance Atlanta Concourse Hotel:

This was the view from my room back in January
Duke787 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can get a room with a window (subject to availability at check in, unfortunately) the airside transit hotel at SIN (IIRC T3 especially) is awesome. I once slept with a brand new SQ A380 parked right outside my window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.