Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best airport hotels for avgeeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Originally Posted by j2simpso

I just thought I'd ask what your thoughts are on booking that hotel in terms of ease of getting to the Queen's Terminal. Is it a short stroll to Hatton Cross underground? What is brekkie like for us Hilton Gold elites? I'm debating this hotel or the Premier Inn at T4 for a stay in January. The Premier is nice and cheap but the issue is it can take some time for the train to depart from T4 for T2 whereas Hatton Cross to T2 tends to be quick at least from my experience.

Safe Travels,

James
You get full breakfast as a gold, it's about a 5 minute walk from the hotel to Hatton Cross and just 1 stop on the underground to reach Heathrow Central.

As for the T4 Premier Inn, I think they sit in at T4 underground station for about 8 to 10 minutes, I also think it's a slightly longer walk between the Premier Inn and T4 underground than it is between the HGI and Hatton Cross. Although the Premier Inn to T4 is all indoors and the HGI to Hatton Cross isn't.

Couldn't say one of those hotels to T2 is definitely quicker than the other. You could just miss a train at T4 and have a 10 minute wait, but the same can be said about Hatton Cross.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
The Regal at Hong Kong airport is good and you can get runway facing rooms. I'm going to be trying out the Hilton at O'hare next month. We'll see how good it is.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Depending on the wind direction , the Heathrow Hilton Terminal 5.

I ws there in september , in the morning the planes were landing on 09L ( ie coming in from Windsor) and if you walked out of the hotel front door and stood on the pathway by the bridge over the canal , the planes came directly overhead ( you could see into the landing gear bay and the registration on the underside of the wings. For some airlines you could even see where they have the name on the underside of the aircraft ( ie Delta,Virgin,Emirates). It was special to see the underneath of 747s and 777s especially coming into land. The soundproofing of the rooms is excellent as you could not hear any noise.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
For general aviation, the Hotel Natura in Reykjavik. It's across the field from the terminal at RKV. Lots of private jets (I saw a number of Dassault Falcons), although the only scheduled services are Air Iceland Connect and Eagle Air. When I stayed there, Atlantic Airways operated from there to FAE during the summer, but that service has moved to KEF.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I agree with the FlyinHawaiian - the Fairmont at YVR has some excellent views of the runways and taxiways. And as a board meeting / conference hotel, it is a decent choice as well.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
The SFO Marriott has great views of 28L/R. Planes are visible from the lobby bar or you can sit out along the water for the best views
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The new GH at SFO is good, including the binoculars and plane spotting guide in the room. Corner suites have windows on three sides.

Westin at DTW isn't bad either, or CDG Sheraton.

I love the transit hotel rooms at SIN with windows. Once I had a new SQ A380 parked right outside my window for the night.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton Beijing Airport gave me a corner room with fantastic views of landing planes. Was very loud though.

Any hotel along the bay shore walkway at SFO, including the aforementioned Marriott is awesome for viewing landings and takeoffs of big planes headed long distances.

My personal favorite, however, is sitting on the balcony of a tower room at the Royal Hawaiian watching the planes taking off from HNL or even better, but less frequent, on final approach to HNL. A cold longboard lager in hand also accentuates the experience.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The Citizen M at AMS has great views - and you can select a runway view room at self-checkin. The rooms are tiny, but great for one or two nights and the entire wall is a window above your bed. A bonus is that the bar downstairs is very welcoming, and at any time there's a bunch of people from all over the world to chat with.

I thought this thread was going to be about people who like to have the latest gadgets (AV) in their room.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
The Citizen M at AMS has great views - and you can select a runway view room at self-checkin. The rooms are tiny, but great for one or two nights and the entire wall is a window above your bed. A bonus is that the bar downstairs is very welcoming, and at any time there's a bunch of people from all over the world to chat with.
I came over to this thread to recommend the same.

The Bloc Hotel in London Gatwick South Terminal feels similar to the Citizen M in concept in my opinion, and has excellent runway/apron views from the "Aspire" double aspect corner rooms that face the right way (check if that is what you're going for) - I was very impressed when my parents invited me to come up and check theirs out. There's also a "Runway Suite" which apparently has "unparalleled runway views". But note their very cheapest rooms do not have windows at all!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
The Hilton Garden Inn at Paine Everett is great for plane spotting. Not so much if you like to sleep, especially since commercial services started flying out of there.....
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:34 pm

Hyatt Orlando Airport is pretty good, especially from the swimming pool.

There is a Hampton Inn on the south side of MIA with good views of the field.

Also, the Grand Hyatt Tampa. If you are high enough up, you can see over the elevated highway to watch the action on the west side of the airport. What is cool is watching the landing lights of arriving aircraft at night from the south reflect off of Tampa Bay.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:51 pm

Thumbs up Renaissance ATL is a super runway viewer!

Years ago, my wife and I lived in Atlanta. Having flown through ATL numerous times, we couldn't help but notice the Renaissance Hotel right on the north runway opposite the terminal. We decided to make it a weekend of aircraft viewing and spent two nights there watching hundreds of takeoffs and landings. It was great, especially that Friday night. It was years ago but the 747's coming and going were a dime a dozen. We were in airplane heaven! The hotel was nice as well! Highly recommend it!
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:04 pm

Sofitel LGW offers airside rooms (if you ask in advance and they are not all booked out by Accor elites that is), but being closer to the centre of the field you might not get the approach views like in the Hilton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.