Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I allowed to reimport duty free items bought at US airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:06 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Later this month I'll be traveling from the USA to Europe. A family member in the US has asked that I buy a specific brand of cigarettes from duty free. These cigarettes are not available in Europe, so I would have to buy them at EWR and fly back with them later.

The EU allows me to import up to 800 cigarettes, but the US limit is only 200. I plan to buy 800 and save the receipt from the US.

Would I actually be importing anything since I bought the cigarettes in the US? Or would normal restrictions apply since duty free has no taxes applied?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC items that you buy in USA duty free stores are not considered to have been acquired abroad and thus are not subject to the standard duty free allowance, at least in terms of the dollar value exemption.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:00 pm

EU limit is not 800 if travelling from the USA. Try 200.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Later this month I'll be traveling from the USA to Europe. A family member in the US has asked that I buy a specific brand of cigarettes from duty free. These cigarettes are not available in Europe, so I would have to buy them at EWR and fly back with them later.

The EU allows me to import up to 800 cigarettes, but the US limit is only 200. I plan to buy 800 and save the receipt from the US.

Would I actually be importing anything since I bought the cigarettes in the US? Or would normal restrictions apply since duty free has no taxes applied?
You will be required to pay duty on them as they're not "Duty paid" cigarettes. Cigarettes bought within your country are duty paid already so no issues. The cigarettes bought at duty free stores are meant for export so no need to pay taxes. If you bring them back in, the government must extract their pound of flesh...
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:10 pm

Goods bought at a duty-free shop on your way out of the U.S. are treated exactly the same as items acquired abroad--because either way, U.S. taxes haven't been paid. If an exemption applies ($800, 1L of alcohol, 1 carton of cigarettes, etc), it applies the same to something bought on the way out as to something you acquired abroad.

In the specific case of tobacco, you're not allowed to import more than 200 cigarettes into the U.S. at all, so you run the risk of donating the extra cigarettes to The Man.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info
Redhead likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:46 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Goods bought at a duty-free shop on your way out of the U.S. are treated exactly the same as items acquired abroad--because either way, U.S. taxes haven't been paid. If an exemption applies ($800, 1L of alcohol, 1 carton of cigarettes, etc), it applies the same to something bought on the way out as to something you acquired abroad.

In the specific case of tobacco, you're not allowed to import more than 200 cigarettes into the U.S. at all, so you run the risk of donating the extra cigarettes to The Man.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info
Thanks for this well thought out this response. This was my thought, too. There's no way CBP would you you buy something in duty free and then not pay duty on it when returning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.