Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do people incorporate FlyerTalk into their daily routine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do people incorporate FlyerTalk into their daily routine?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I’ll echo the sentiment from most others here - I check my subscribed threads daily, and my favorite forums once or twice a week (my preferred airline, hotel, credit card, and rental car forums, along with TravelBuzz, Photography, and Trip Reports - the My Flyertalk interface is invaluable for this). I have a similar routine on CruiseCritic now since I’ve got my first cruise coming up next year. I’ve found I enjoy planning and optimizing itineraries as much as the actual travel, and these sites help guide me.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
First time post, but long time daily lurker (since I started traveling ~2014). I am am a M-Th traveler and when I am away from home I check the forums multiple times a day (it is even bookmarked on my safari mobile homepage making clicking on here instinctual) . This post made me realize I come on to FlyerTalk a lot! With that realization, I might as well make an account. Don't think I can contribute as much as the geniuses on this site, but who knows...
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm a natural procrastinator and I get bored easily. Back when I was in law school I would allow myself to look at one thread from my My Flyertalk every time I turned the page in my casebook. Now that I'm a lawyer it's the same rule. Every time I write a page of a complaint or prepare a page of a filing I get to look at one thread.

As for looking at new threads about every 4-6 weeks I'm either on a long train trip, long boring plane trip (like RDU-SEA in Y) or at an all day CLE or conference and I go look at the forums and catch up on new stuff.
Stgermainparis and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I don't read OMNI P/R on a daily basis because there are some savages (who only posts on OMNI P/R and don't give a * about miles)
Seems like the Credit Card forums have many posters who are only frequent churners not frequent flyers.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tanic
Seems like the Credit Card forums have many posters who are only frequent churners not frequent flyers.
Although the point of churning is to get points, no? And most points have best value as travel transfer points.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

There used to be a regular poster who had "Flyertalking all day long" as his/her signature. That always made me chuckle.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
There used to be a regular poster who had "Flyertalking all day long" as his/her signature. That always made me chuckle.
Sometimes I miss those days. When I was underemployed working at jobs where I sat in front of a computer all day with little to do I would go through every forum every day.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am an old timer who remembers the good ole days when this was a small little community that was all about helping each other. Based on that box on the left I joined in prior to 9/11. Now FT is the giant beast that has too much to read. I have turned off all emails and use the MyFlyertalk functions to see any forums and threads in which I have subscribed. MyFT is one of my bookmarks that I check when I bored at work and need a diversion. I stopped with helping much anymore as the moderation has gotten rather heavy handed which makes the threads obscenely long and hard to find anything. Case in point, everything related to Marriott properties in the STATE OF LOUISIANA is now consistently consolidated and merged into a single thread. Threads with pointed questions are now muddled together. So if you want to find out about a hotel in the New Orleans French Quarter it is interspersed with information on hotels in Shreveport which is 300 miles away.

The only forum I tend to regularly contribute to in is Omni because it is just plain fun.
FlyerEC and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I'm back in school and between jobs, so I have been spending a lot more time on FT than I had in the last few years. I check in a few times a day to see which of my threads have new posts.

-J.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I read it every morning before work emails over coffee. Evening too.

I have been suspended a few times and found myself completely discombobulated. That's not a good sign.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I read UA every day throughout the day via my RSS feeder. Also read MR (which has died down considerably) and the weekly newsletter. Subbed to 500 threads via email (once daily). Not sure what I'm gonna do once UA fires me next next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.