Wiki Posts
Search

Rip off UK travel agents

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Rip off UK travel agents

Hi All
We are wanting to go to Antalya in the first week of November.
I should have booked before TCG collapsed but didn't expect them to go bust so soon.
The holiday that we were looking at was £600 each and its now £806 each with the price continuing to go up in price
To be honest, I am not going to be ripped off and i would rather stay at home and go away next year.
I have spoken to Jet2 Holidays who have told me that the price will not come down due to supply and demand, So just wondered if anyone here is in the same situation and either hoping the price will drop or just pay the money.

On another note, i can book a holiday to Asia for less than the the Jet2 holiday with hotels , We are thinking about Vietnam in March/April.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by malct
Hi All
We are wanting to go to Antalya in the first week of November.
I should have booked before TCG collapsed but didn't expect them to go bust so soon.
The holiday that we were looking at was £600 each and its now £806 each with the price continuing to go up in price
To be honest, I am not going to be ripped off and i would rather stay at home and go away next year.
I have spoken to Jet2 Holidays who have told me that the price will not come down due to supply and demand, So just wondered if anyone here is in the same situation and either hoping the price will drop or just pay the money.

On another note, i can book a holiday to Asia for less than the the Jet2 holiday with hotels , We are thinking about Vietnam in March/April.
Lots of fares and trips increase in price when the date gets close. Have you never purchased trips before?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Yes i have booked trips before , £99 to Italy a week self catering booking a week before departure in June. thats why Travel agents have late deals to fill seats and to fill rooms
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A lot of capacity has suddenly been taken out of the system. I can’t comment on £100 for a week’s holiday, including flights, but it doesn’t sound hugely relaxing.
Auto Enthusiast and thebigben like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Don't get me wrong, I am not wanting a £100 holiday and i am quite happy to pay the £600 each but i am not willing to pay £800 each since TCG went out of business
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may not be willing to, but apparently others are.

If you can find something better by booking on your own, by all means do it.

Is there anything to indicate that prices will come down next year?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by malct
Don't get me wrong, I am not wanting a £100 holiday and i am quite happy to pay the £600 each but i am not willing to pay £800 each since TCG went out of business
Have a look at the usual hotel booking engines. The travel agent may have gone away but the hotel rooms are still standing. You may find you're able to book a hotel formerly associated with Thomas Cook selling rooms at a decent price.

That only leaves you to find air fare.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Is there anything to indicate that prices will come down next year?
Perhaps the return to service of the 737MAX.

and TCG’s planes will get reshuffled back into the world’s fleets.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tecate55
Perhaps the return to service of the 737MAX.

and TCG’s planes will get reshuffled back into the world’s fleets.
That is a mistake which will not likely be repeated.

And it is even less likely to be repeated in the holiday inclusive market which has fallen from fashion.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:50 am

Wouldn't the logical explanation be that because Thomas Cook went out of business there are less planes flying, and thus prices are higher?
Often1 and farci like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Wouldn't the logical explanation be that because Thomas Cook went out of business there are less planes flying, and thus prices are higher?
Yes, but OP wants to skip over the fact that TC failed and believe that someone else will simply add back in the same capacity. They will not. And, they won't find the financing for it if they try. That business model is over & done with.
thebigben and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, but OP wants to skip over the fact that TC failed and believe that someone else will simply add back in the same capacity. They will not. And, they won't find the financing for it if they try. That business model is over & done with.
I disagree. There will always be a market for travellers who are not looking to build their own packages or holidays. It is a smaller market than it was before but, it does exist.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I disagree. There will always be a market for travellers who are not looking to build their own packages or holidays. It is a smaller market than it was before but, it does exist.
You are among a small minority who think so. Nobody seems to be looking to take over TC's old business model in any way, shape or form.

You are correct that there may be a market, but it seems not to be a sufficiently robust market to support a business operation.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Also the part where the travel agents don't really set the price. They can add a (generally small) profit margin on top of whatever the wholesale price is, but the travel agents didn't choose to raise the rates a couple hundred quid.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: it courses
Price will be high due to On season and price will be low due to off season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.