Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it weird to bring luggage to meetings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it weird to bring luggage to meetings?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not weird at all. Always do this on travel days
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah, happens all the time. As long as you don't have anything weird looking, nobody would even give it a second glance.

And if you're going to have something wet, invest in a dry-bag.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Highly contextual I suspect. It would depend on the community of the meeting and such. In my field, scientific research, it happens all the time. Many meetings even have extra space around for people to leave their bags as they will be leaving a meeting later than the hotel checkout time.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In my office when I'm working part of a day before/after a trip? I just dump it against the wall in my office and no one says a word. I was caught short once when there was a fire alarm - false alarm as always - and I left my bag in my office as required. It had all my travel documents including my passport in it, along with my phone. The alarm went on longer than usual and I had to rush when I was finally allowed back in, but made the flight.

When traveling:

If it's a meeting with an individual, I just ask at reception and they almost always have a closet or will stash it behind their desk. Failing that I just carry it with me, apologize, and no one says anything more.
If it's a big meeting in a conference room, there's almost always a variety of bags lined up against the wall and again it isn't an issue.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:12 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I almost have luggage on fly out days, almost NEVER in the meeting room.

1) Checked with Security Guard, haven't met one that wasn't familiar nor didn't have a process to store your luggage
2) Or if valuable checked with meeting partners in their office.
3) In the rental car, never my valuables, but if my cloths were to be stolen not the end of the world.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It happens all the time, although I would try to avoid dragging a bag from meeting to meeting in the same place by asking if it can be stored somewhere. I don't like the idea of storing a bag in big convention hotels because there can be a junk fee (hard to justify and document for reimbursement as well as the principle of it) and I've seen bags just piled in the lobby and totally unguarded far too many times. [Of course don't leave anything valuable in a bag left with the hotel.] This is when guaranteed 4 pm checkout can be wonderful, and even better yet if you want to shower and/or change clothes before heading to the airport.

Needless to say, luggage should look professional, organized, and of high quality. You should be able to manage everything easily, including at doors and when you're expected to shake hands. Don't look like a homeless person and don't bring the kitchen sink or "cute" stuff. It can be wise to have something distinctive about your bag so that someone can't easily take it by mistake at the end of a meeting.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Are you still using that My Little Pony bag?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Nah, get the pink "Hello Unicorn' bag made famous by Altered Carbon.

https://thenerdstash.com/altered-carbon-hello-unicorn/
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Totally normal at our company.

We have an office in Manhattan that is often the meeting point for bigger gatherings since we have a lot of people from the US and Europe. Pretty common for me to be there for a Tuesday-Thursday, and on the Thursday there are always a bunch of of rollaboards in the office. Sometimes we just stash them in the corner of the conference room; other times, if it's a particularly large meeting, the receptionist will gather them all up and put them in a closet for the day.

Saves everyone a half-hour or more schlepping back to a hotel to get them from a bellhop. Not to mention the aforementioned need to carry a couple dollar bills for that purpose, which none of the Europeans will have on them and most of the Americans won't either.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I work in software sales. When there's a meeting attended by people from out of town-- whether on the vendor side or client side of the relationship-- it's common to see roll-aboard bags in the meeting room.

A few tips:
  • Keep your bag neat and professional looking
  • Travel as light as possible when you know you'll be in this situation
  • A carry-on size bag is fine; if your bag is bigger, look for an alternative
  • As a matter of difficulty, attending one longer meeting (or seminar, workshop, or training session) with a bag in tow is easy; dragging a bag around to 4 visits in one day is not
  • Ask at the reception desk if they can hold your bag. Companies with strict security policies may insist on holding bags.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's not uncommon to see lawyers bring their bags into immigration courtrooms. I certainly have brought my overnight back and no one's batted an eye at it or at the lawyers with roller bags. I can't imagine it being weird at a meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.