Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it weird to bring luggage to meetings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it weird to bring luggage to meetings?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Very common in my experience in the defense aerospace business. Don't give it a second thought.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It dependds on the location, the level of the meeting, e.g. are you meeting with the CEO or are you the CEO? and the industry.

That is why you are seeing answers all over the place.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Worst case it can create the impression of someone who isn’t sufficiently geographically present, but usually it helps create the impression that I am someone who is literally, even if not figuratively, going places
I remember once being scolded by a senior partner for bringing luggage into a meeting room as it would create the impression I was just flying in and out.

Meanwhile, it has become so ubiquitous, I don't think anyone would bat an eye.

But yes, sometimes appearances are important, so in those cases, just ask reception or an administrative assistant to store it. And invest into luggage that you are comfortable showing in front of clients.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
You're overthinking it. Ask reception if they have a closet you can store it in. 90% of the time they will, and if not, no big deal. I've been in meetings with C-Level people where there are suitcases lined up on the side of the conference room and no one bats an eye.

You don't see as many people rolling them down the streets of NYC as you might think because many people are using a taxi or uber if they have a large bag.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I see this all the time and bring luggage to meetings, myself, on a regular basis. Have never thought twice about it.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
At the meeting site, ask reception or admin if there is a coat closet where the bag can be stored. If you have meetings at multiple sites, but in a geographically central area, keep at the hotel, if it's convenient (enough). If it's geographically dispersed and the hotel isn't near where you'll end up, lug it around with you and see the first suggestion about on-site storage.

As a consultant working across many industries, it's very common, particularly in financial services. I've taken my suitcase or duffel to more meetings than I care to remember.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
I don't see it as being odd at all, in fact, I've never thought twice about doing it. I've had to do it in places where (usually) I'm flying home on a Thursday evening but have meetings during the day on Thursday and in a city where I don't rent a car (e.g. Toronto, NYC, Los Angels, etc...). Nobody has ever said anything to me and I've seen plenty of other consultants and travellers in the meetings doing it as well. Not a big deal. If I have a rental car, of course I just leave the bags in the car, but when I don't and I'm checking out of a hotel to head to the airport in the evening, I don't know what else could be done with them. If its annoying to lug them around, perhaps you could see if your hotel could hold them until the meetings are over and its time to head to the airport. Of course, that would also mean another stop between the meeting location and airport, so it could mean cutting things close. I would probably just take the bag with me to the meeting and not give it another thought.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Normal for me, though I try my best to leave it at the hotel after I check out then grab it on the way to the airport. Nothing to do with an issue bringing it to a meeting, just hate schlepping it all about town.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
perfectly normal. tbh surprised this is even a question
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Amex,Citi
I don't like to bring anything bigger than a carry-on with me into a meeting.

If your meeting is anywhere near a hotel, you can often go directly to the bell desk and leave a suitcase. A five dollar tip when dropping off ensures there are no questions about your lack of a reservation.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's not unusual. See it quite often particularly in the legal and financial fields. Better roller than a backpack.

The only time a roller was a problem for me was in an Eastern European capital with rough cobble stone sidewalks. Hard on the bag and very noisy.
I was on a trip to a medieval Belgian city recently, and after a day of flying and a train ride, I decided to walk the 2.5 miles from the train station to the hotel. Wasn't thinking about my small roller, and it was ALL cobblestone. I was definitely the loud American that day.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite, Formerly UA 1K and Hertz President's Circle
I do it frequently and usually just L.A. to San Diego. I take the train and use ride-share services to get around if a local colleague is not joining me at the meetings. Folks assume I’m from out of town (as in air flights) and most of the time no one says anything.

I don’t understand why you are self-conscious about it. Many business people fly in for a day trip, or it could be the last day of a multi-day trip and are heading to the airport at the end of the day. My suitcase stays with me. I just park it behind me or in the conference room corner as appropriate.

Don’t worry about what other people think. If anything you score points for making them feel important enough that you flew in from across country. ;-)
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
As others have noted, it happens all the time in some fields, particularly where one's expertise is not necessarily linked to the geography of the meeting. On occasion I have even been asked why I don't have a bag, when I would be expected to be flying elsewhere after a meeting but I either am staying (eg, for another meeting) or my hotel is located sufficiently close to the meeting venue that stopping back is not inconvenient.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
Not weird at all.

Often did it and usually would stow it in a coat closet at each office I visited. I once had a colleague who swam every morning for exercise. In Paris, which was a one night stand for my firm, she'd get up early, swim at the hotel before breakfast and go from appointment to appointment with her wet swim suit tied to her carry on. Drove our Paris salesman crazy.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:56 am

I always rent a car for exactly this reason....except in NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.