Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congress weighs making resort fees illegal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Yeah, not only the resort fees, but I wish they'd figure out a way to illegalize all hidden fees in hospitality industries.
Last month I ate at a restaurant in Seattle with over-the-water deck that charged ~$5 extra and they called it the pier maintenance fee or something.
How ridiculous is that?
I've been to quite a few restaurants with above-water decks. Never have I been charged such thing before.
They must collect ~$1k a day just from this hidden fee.
That's a BS charge if I ever heard one. Did they actually let you know of this fee before ordering (eg on the menu)

Here's a place in my neck of the woods that charges a 3% extra fee for nothing at all. They have the nerve to call it an "Honest to Goodness Fee". My personal take on it is I will never go there, honest to goodness!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/restau...-low-1.3860398
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
Well with all inclusive pricing, the only one who gets hurt by YQ is the travel agent who gets less commission. Most US carriers don't charge YQ on award tickets, unlike in other countries, so it's not as big a deal for the average traveler
You list your location in Canada, so you I am sure aware of a certain Canadian airline that adds YQ to whatever it can get away with. Ho ho, me hearties.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by owflyer
"THE EDGEWATER DINING FACILITY IS AN OVER THE WATER EXPERIENCE THAT IS UNIQUE TO THE SEATTLE WATERFRONT AND IS INCREDIBLY COSTLY TO MAINTAIN. THE MINIMAL FEE ASSESSMENT IS INTENDED TO ASSIST OWNERSHIP IN THE EXTREMELY HIGH COST OF MAINTAINING THE CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY OF THE FACILITY, SO THAT WE ARE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO PROVIDE OUR DINING GUESTS WITH AN UNPARALLELED EXPERIENCE."

Just state, "it was not an unparalleled experience."
Originally Posted by mapleg
That's a BS charge if I ever heard one. Did they actually let you know of this fee before ordering (eg on the menu)
The charge was a complete surprise. Certainly no one told us, nor was it posted anywhere. I just went back and looked at the menu online and it turns out the menu has the fine-print statement at the bottom referenced by owflyer. However, it is hidden in fine-print amongst other blurb about health risks of seafood consumption and moreover the actual fee amount isn't even identified.

Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Here's a place in my neck of the woods that charges a 3% extra fee for nothing at all. They have the nerve to call it an "Honest to Goodness Fee". My personal take on it is I will never go there, honest to goodness!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/restau...-low-1.3860398
This is really laughable and tasteless gimmick.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by evergrn
The charge was a complete surprise. Certainly no one told us, nor was it posted anywhere. I just went back and looked at the menu online and it turns out the menu has the fine-print statement at the bottom referenced by owflyer. However, it is hidden in fine-print amongst other blurb about health risks of seafood consumption and moreover the actual fee amount isn't even identified.
In spite of the fact that it's unlikely to change anything, this would actually piss me off enough to do 15 minutes of research, and call them out on it. While it's presumably legal for the restaurant to charge fees for anything they can think of, surely there is some sort of requirement to disclose the amount/percentage up front (like they do with the 20% tip for large parties).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.