Wiki Posts
Search

Top three favorite and least favorite airports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Smiley90
There is a disturbing lack of LHR mentions in this thread
That's because this started in the AS forum, and was moved to the Travel Buzz forum. My own list of favorite/hated would be much different with non-AS destinations included.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines,Bonvoy
Burbank- Easy everything
Sacramento-
Reno

Worst
Lax
LGA
Vegas on a Sunday!

I guess you you can tell I’m from California and don’t get out of state too much!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:21 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

+
HND (Japanese airports in general, with the major exception of KIX)
AMS

-
Everywhere else (thus far)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Best:

DTW (that I'm the first to mention it is a sign the thread originated from a non-Delta forum)
ATL
DFW

Least:

LHR
Houston Hobby
CLT
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rustykettel
That's because this started in the AS forum, and was moved to the Travel Buzz forum. My own list of favorite/hated would be much different with non-AS destinations included.
That makes a lot more sense.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
There are so many variable for the best and worse.

For example, some mention Paine Field, Everett, WA as a best. However, food choices are limited. Parking is expensive for such a suburban location. How does PAE compare with the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport, Little Rock, AR? Both are not very crowded. LIT has slightly better service, at least to more cities.

The requirements of connecting passengers are different from O & D. Even O & D passengers vary. Some arrive somewhat close to departure time while others arrive early, some of whom want to eat.

Public transportation, private car drop off, and park and fly passengers have different requirements. SEA used to have bus service that was replaced by light rail. Light rail is easier for the out of town passenger to follow but it's very expensive and takes LONGER than the old bus line.

I do have some least favorite airports. EWR is one of them. OME (Nome, AK) is fun but is actually a lousy airport. Few amenities. Few flights. No alternative airport nearby. OTZ (Kotzebue, AK) is too far and not connected by road so if your OME flight is cancelled, you cannot drive to OTZ.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:40 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Best: HND, TPE, AMS
Worst: LHR, CDG, JFK/LGA
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Fav
LHR T2 - super efficient in every respect
OSL - small and efficient
HKG - always super-excited arriving in Hong Kong

Bad
SFO - horrible queues everywhere, rude staff
RAK - chaos throughout despite being brand new
FRA - nightmare to navigate
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
People who complain about SFO/LAX never been in MNL with changing of terminals and never did international to international transfer in PEK without ABCT.

Just saying...

P.S. Best: SIN.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'm going to limit my choices to the airports I fly into, out of or through on a regular basis, not just any airport I've ever been to.

Worst: LAX, LHR
Best: ONT, SAN, SNA (anywhere but LAX)
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by invisible
People who complain about SFO/LAX never been in MNL with changing of terminals and never did international to international transfer in PEK without ABCT.

Just saying...

P.S. Best: SIN.
I forgot about MNL; I think it would top most lists. PEK is bad too, but there are so many bad airports in China that I felt compelled to go with SZX.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
You guys had a few great ones gives me some places to think about flying too. I forgot totally about SNA but that is pretty sweet. I’m happy that the one thing we can all agree upon is EWR sucks
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:25 am

I see most of the airports mentioned are in the US. Here's for some change:

Best
  1. DOH (excellent in every aspect)
  2. SIN (not nearly in the same league as DOH, but the positives far outweight the negatives)
  3. Any smaller airport reasonably close to the city, for example WAW (not a great airport by any means but easy to get through fast, which for me is the whole point)

Worst
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:43 am

Best
1. HKG - when no one's protesting, this is a great airport, security is quick, the terminal is lovely, etc
2. DFW - DFW seems to receive split opinions on this site, but I think it's a great connecting hub and even better O&D airport
3. BZN - a small airport, but definitely one of my favorites
Honorable mention: AUS, DCA, MVD, VCE, BCN, HUN, DOH, PDX

Worst
1. CLT - Anyone ever walked from the A gates to the E gates during a busy time? Enough said
2. CDG - That place is a mess
3. SWO - sure it's small and easy to get in and out of, but any airport with its TSA screening and departure area in a double-wide trailer is going to make this list
Dishonorable mention: FCO, HAV, CUN, IAD, MCO
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Update since I posted upthread: it appears that AS is moving from terminal B to terminal C at MCI in a few weeks.

Likely won't change my answer much, but it's possible that AS could at least get tossed into a corral with Precheck, which would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.