Search

FEDEX Hub

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
FEDEX Hub

I'm sitting at IND currently waiting to take an AA flight home. Very nice airport by the way. Anyway, outside I see a lot of PURPLE tails.

Is this their 2nd biggest hub behind MEM?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
It's probably pretty close to it. Places like Oakland, Fort Worth, and Greensboro are hubs as well, but I'm not sure of their size compared to Indy. The MEM sort facility is insane though.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saxman66
It's probably pretty close to it. Places like Oakland, Fort Worth, and Greensboro are hubs as well, but I'm not sure of their size compared to Indy. The MEM sort facility is insane though.
Do you think FX has more flights daily than commercial traffic at IND?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
FedEx has a large air hub in Anchorage. I don't know the relative sizes.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
One upon a time (80s-90s) United planned to move a lot of their facilities and processes from ORD to IND. UA built a significant amount of infrastructure for aircraft services and maintenance at IND with this in mind.

However, Indiana at the time didn't observe daylight savings time until 2006, and so prior to that it wobbled back and forth between Eastern and Central time, making airline scheduling problematic. The governor of Indiana at the time refused to make the necessary changes so that the state was in the correct time zone and would observe or fail to observe daylight savings time. UA needed IND to be in a set time zone, and the governor would not support the change. Other internal financial pressures at UA also came to bear on the plan as well, but the time zone issue and Indiana government unwillingness to continue to work with UA by providing additional subsidies was a big driver.

Therefore UA abandoned their push to shift to IND, and the hangars and supporting buildings were available to FedEx, who eventually occupied them for pennies on the dollar.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/b...s-pay-off.html

https://www.ibj.com/articles/23784-a...e-now-bustling

Last edited by Wilbur; Aug 16, 2019 at 9:43 am Reason: added articles
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
MEM is their Superhub but for the US IND is their National Hub so a lot of traffic will flow through it. After that their Focus airports are Anchorage, Fort Worth, Miami, Newark, Oakland & Winston-Salem.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
MEM is their Superhub but for the US IND is their National Hub so a lot of traffic will flow through it.
I've noticed an increase in INTL long-haul FedEx flights from Indianapolis, like FDX30, which transports international shipments that may have never gone through MEM if they originated from the midwest.

IIRC you can tell by one of the letters on the label if it's going to be routed through IND or MEM.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Has ANC held steady since the introduction of the 777-LR freighter? I know it opened up more nonstop capabilities from MEM. The MD-11 and DC10 fleet would utilize ANC since some markets were out of their range from MEM.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Wilbur
One upon a time (80s-90s) United planned to move a lot of their facilities and processes from ORD to IND. UA built a significant amount of infrastructure for aircraft services and maintenance at IND with this in mind.

However, Indiana at the time didn't observe daylight savings time until 2006, and so prior to that it wobbled back and forth between Eastern and Central time, making airline scheduling problematic. The governor of Indiana at the time refused to make the necessary changes so that the state was in the correct time zone and would observe or fail to observe daylight savings time. UA needed IND to be in a set time zone, and the governor would not support the change. Other internal financial pressures at UA also came to bear on the plan as well, but the time zone issue and Indiana government unwillingness to continue to work with UA by providing additional subsidies was a big driver.

Therefore UA abandoned their push to shift to IND, and the hangars and supporting buildings were available to FedEx, who eventually occupied them for pennies on the dollar.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/b...s-pay-off.html

https://www.ibj.com/articles/23784-a...e-now-bustling
How familiar with IND are you?.......because FX doesn't operate on the side of the airport that UA had their facility on. In fact the United MX facility is leased by AAR/Republic not FX.

In short UA's decision to close the UA MX hub, had hardly any impact on FX's growth at IND. As you can see below, they have built virtually everything themselves

skywardhunter likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does FX operate any A300's anymore or just UPS? I assume they long retired the DC-8's!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Last I read about their fleet they had a large number of A300s. Some will be phased out as they age but I think they have the last production aircraft that is under 12 years old.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Does FX operate any A300's anymore or just UPS? I assume they long retired the DC-8's!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:59 pm

You can see fleet counts on airlinepilotcentral.com. Here's the link to the cargo airlines.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It's amazing that FedEx has been able to keep the DC-10 flying for so long. They were converted to a two man crew so that helped some with the economics.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by enviroian
FedEx got a few DC-8's when they acquired Flying Tigers in 1989, and retired them in 1991.

UPS retired their DC-8 fleet in May, 2009.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
FedEx got a few DC-8's when they acquired Flying Tigers in 1989, and retired them in 1991.

UPS retired their DC-8 fleet in May, 2009.
I think ATI (Air Transport Int'l) was the last commercial DC8 operator in the US. They retired them in 2012.

NASA still operates a DC8-72.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstro...-050-DFRC.html

Samaritan's Purse operates a DC8-72 Combi on humanitarian missions.
https://www.samaritanspurse.org/media/fact-sheet-dc8/
enviroian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.