Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the furthest north south east west you have been?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the furthest north south east west you have been?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Fwiw, I've stood on the equator (a park outside of Quito) and the prime meridian (in Greenwich). On the data line will be a challenge
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Hmm. Did I have to land? If not:

North: a few miles south of the North Pole on a very atypical JFK-NRT route that went almost directly over the pole, down into northern Siberia then turned back East to get to NRT.

If if I had to land probably Helsinki

South: Hobart, Tasmania - not Cape of Good Hope, which is probably second.

East and West: Not sure how to count it. Been on a few RTW trips. One leaving NYC going east and several leaving NYC going west. The farthest west I have gone from NYC is DC if I count a US city before NYC or Dublin if I count a non-US City. Farthest east from NYC going east before continuing to NYC is Hong Kong.

In trips where I left NYC, went somewhere and turned around back to NYC. Farthest west from NYC was Singapore with Kota Kinabalu, Borneo as a close second. Going east from NYC and returning the farthest was Mumbai.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Aug 3, 2019 at 9:25 am Reason: Geography are hard
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
This is fun.

For E/W... .Lets pick Samoa and American Samoa. As I recall, for my day trip across the dateline, I had to book my round trip ticket in reverse - the return as the originating flight and vise versa due to the dateline.
North -- theres a spit of land north of Barrow Alaska. Saw a polar bear there.
Melbourne Australia.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Off the top of my head:

North - Hrísey Island, Iceland
South - Chiloé, Chile
West - San Francisco
East - Bet Shean, Israel
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'm from the US, but have lived in Asia for many years. I'll also just use standard gps coordinates as my baseline (prime meridian)

North - Oslo, Norway (59° 91' N)
South - Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia (38° 48' S)
East - Guam (144° 79' E)
West - Kauai, Hawaii (155° 58' W)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by CPRich
Fwiw, I've stood on the equator (a park outside of Quito) and the prime meridian (in Greenwich). On the data line will be a challenge
I went to the same place near Quito but also felt the duty to take pictures at the Google-mapped site slightly north. Which put me on a roadside in an ordinary kinda neighborhood just outside the grounds. No signage anywhere or others making the same trek while I did, but I'm sure they must get a trickle.

Looking down the "true" line of the (disputed) equator from the postcard, as best I could tell. The line would cross the street diagonally, and this is looking inland. The park with the tower is about 2-3 blocks to the right.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP.

NORTH: The southernmost mile of the Dalton Highway in Alaska near Livengood 65.52 N
SOUTH: Slope point New Zealand 46.66 S

East-west are a wraparound and I used proximity to the International Date Line to determine.

EAST (first to get the next day): Apia, Samoa 171.75 W

WEST (Last to see the current day): Aitutaki, Cook Islands 159.78 W

Aitutaki just barely edged out Rarotonga and Kauai.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
North: 90ş N at the North Pole
South: 90ş S at the South Pole.
East and West are more complex, but I think West would be Honolulu and East is probably Fiji.

Although thinking about it, technically, having walked around the North and South poles, those would be my furthest east and west as well,
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
On the surface of the earth:
North: Lapinlahti, Finland (63, 28)
West: Victoria, Canada (48, -123)
South: Singapore (1, 104)
East: Daejeon, South Korea (36, 127)

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
This is fun.

For E/W... .Lets pick Samoa and American Samoa. As I recall, for my day trip across the dateline, I had to book my round trip ticket in reverse - the return as the originating flight and vise versa due to the dateline.
This is brain-damaging. I just opened Talofa Airways website and the system cannot accept the return date to be earlier than departure date, and the system now says "Your outgoing flight must arrive before the return leg flight departs." if I reverse the legs, choose a morning flight eastbound and an afternoon flight westbound.

Last edited by miklcct; Aug 3, 2019 at 6:20 am
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:45 am

North-Dornoch, Scotland
South-Somewhere on the Baja Peninsula Mexico
West-California
East-Canterbury, England
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:54 am

North: at sea near Moffen (80°0′0″ N, 14°30′0″ E) in Svalbard archipelago (and northmost land position would be somewhere in Spitzbergen, Svalbard)
South: Deadvlei, Namibia
West: Garđur, Iceland (or somewhere else in Reykjanes west of KEF)
East: Parikkala, Finland (the exact position I didn't record, but near Finnish-Russian border)

And if listing airports, the two or three you probably already guessed from the above listing, but the last one might surprise...
North: LYR
South: WDH
West: KEF
East: KGS

Honourable mentions for airports further away than the above mentioned, which I have seen but not used, go to Ny-Ĺlesund Airport and Lappeenranta Airport.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Reading this thread makes me want to travel more.
North Airport: Fairbanks, AK
North Land: somewhere on the Yukon River North of Eagle, AK, reached via 2 days of dog sledding (have to look if I still have the spot coordinates)
South Airport: Melville Hall, Dominica (DOM)
South Land: Southern tip of Dominica (south of 15 degees 15’
West Airport and land: Fairbanks, AK
East airport and land: London (Gatwick for the airport, probably was east of it during the time there but I have no clue where)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:34 am

If we look at longitudes, so starting from the Prime Meridian, the highest east longitude I’ve been to is Brisbane and the highest west longitude is Honolulu. They are pretty close to overlapping.

Wrong again, this circle thing is confusing. The highest east latitude I’ve been to is Auckland New Zealand. Although I was only there twice for short stops, in both direction refueling on LAX-SYD.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Aug 4, 2019 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:45 pm

North - EVE (Narvik, Norway)
South - IVC (Invercargill, New Zealand)
West - SID (Sal, Cabo Verde)
East - GIS (Gisborne, New Zealand)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by bobbytables
North - EVE (Narvik, Norway)
South - IVC (Invercargill, New Zealand)
West - SID (Sal, Cabo Verde)
East - GIS (Gisborne, New Zealand)
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.