Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reverse culture shock

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Having a home in both London and Sonoma, California, you can either decide that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, or you can decide to celebrate what's better in each place. So, in Sonoma I thoroughly enjoy the climate, the excellent local produce, the air quality and the forward-looking nature of educated people there. In London, I thoroughly enjoy the significantly lower prices, the sophistication and diversity and the infrastructure. It doesn't mean one's better than the other, but that they are different. And thank Heavens they are different as otherwise the world would be a very dull place.
GUWonder, farci, Mendobrew and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
None of them had tour bus parking
A friend of mine used to keep a list of Sonoma wineries that physically could not accommodate tour buses. Most of them off the main roads or up and the far north end of the wine-growing region. Basically, he said "these are the ones you want to visit." You might run into a van-sized bachelorette party at most. We followed the list one day and were either the only ones in the tasting room, or there was maybe 1 other couple. They often had a $10 tasting fee which they wouldn't charge if you bought a bottle.

This was about 15 years ago, so it's possible that even these places have built up to support the big tours, but I bet some of them haven't. We were probably an hour's drive farther away from the Bay Area than some of the big wineries, so that helped. Last time I did the main winery drag in Napa was around 2000 and even then it was overrun with buses and limos.

Central Coast (in and around Santa Cruz) also has some cool, smaller wineries.

When I saw the upthread comment about SoCal wine, my first thought was Temecula. There are a lot of newer wineries out there with some hit-and-miss offerings. However, almost all of those tasting rooms pretty new and purpose-built for the "see and be seen" crowd so it's tons of tours, rowdy drinkers, bachelorette parties, etc.

Santa Ynez valley is a fun off-the-beaten-path (sort of) place for wine. Go out there on a weekday and it's pretty chill.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, as for National Parks: the $200 comment sounds like Yellowstone or Yosemite peak season. I've stayed inside national parks (in real lodging) for less, in many excellent state parks for a lot less, and just outside national parks for a lot less.

Overcrowding is an issue with some parks, but with almost every one this can be avoided by knowing the peak season and avoiding it. There is always a period before or after the peak season when the park is navigable and not as crowded.

Try the Black Hills/Badlands area of South Dakota if you want a full 5-7 days of parks and nature for well under $200/nt in any style of lodging you like. Try Joshua Tree if you want a great park close to a city that you can do in a weekend. That's near everything from cheap motels to high-end Palm Springs resorts.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:54 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Pro-Japan, anti-US?

One thing I hate about the US is that prices don't typically include tax - or at least do what Japan does, and show the price pre-/post- addition of tax.

Another negative for the US: overpriced lodging. Another positive for Japan: overall reasonable lodging. This doesn't take into account price-gouging/events/holidays.

Actually, I'd say the US represents horrible value wrt quality (of service). It has some spectacular natural attractions, but once I visit the few left on my list, I'd question ever returning to live/visit here.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Another negative for the US: overpriced lodging. Another positive for Japan: overall reasonable lodging. This doesn't take into account price-gouging/events/holidays.
What does a standard midrange (Marriott-quality) hotel cost in Japan? I was under the impression that Japan was quite expensive for hotels unless you were talking about capsule hotels or other hotels that would likely be inaccessible to a foreigner. My own experience in Japan is limited to redeeming hotel awards, which obviously isn't a true reflection of all lodging costs in a market.

The one thing that America doesn't have much of is the modestly-priced B&B like are common in Europe. Where we have B&B's, they often aim to be high-end/luxury experiences (with varying effect). I just spent a week in Ireland along the Wild Atlantic Way staying in pleasant, but not luxurious, guest houses for ~40 euros per person per night. Those are hard to find in the U.S. I can easily find a room for 100 bucks (in most areas) but it won't have any local flavor whatsoever.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
Oh, as for National Parks: the $200 comment sounds like Yellowstone or Yosemite peak season. I've stayed inside national parks (in real lodging) for less, in many excellent state parks for a lot less, and just outside national parks for a lot less.
The Super 8 in Moab will run $200+ All in during peak times. Springdale/Zion even more if you want to be on the town shuttle route. Capitol Reef’s isolation keeps enough people away that it’s probably got the cheapest hotel costs of Utah’s ‘Mighty Five’

Black Canyon of the Gunnison isn’t marketed like the Utah parks are and last time I checked had more reasonable hotel costs.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Fraser
It's funny how certain things become normal in a relatively short period of time...

I lived in Virginia for 9yrs before moving to NYC 5yrs ago. I still work from home for a Virginia based company and travel back on a regular basis, people are particularly staggered by what rent/housing costs, and given I work in the mortgage business, the real estate taxes. (Where I am in Western Nassau County I paid about 4x that on an equivalent value house in VA). Also, being VA, the cost of cigarettes in NY

It's all rather localized though, a couple of weeks back I went to upstate NY for a bachelor party. Fifteen of us went to a pretty decent Italian restaurant, we all had wine, cocktails, appetizers and main course yet the total bill, before tip, was about $550! The wife and I have spent double that on a meal for the two of us in the city on several occasions...
I grew up in Western Nassau (Floral Park) and will probably be passing through soon. The RE taxes are indeed mind-boggling and more or less forced the sale of my childhood home in the aftermath of my mother's death when I was 21. Given the financial and relationship issues involved, I did not see my sister (then 20) and I as capable of carrying it. The home, sold for $450k after renovations, incurred a total tax burden of about $17,000 after Village of Floral Park taxes. Frankly, I was terrified of being forced to bear 100% of the tax, bill, and maintenance burden with 50% ownership while my sister ran away from everything. [That worked out to only be partially true. My sister did effectively avoid investing any time or money & I carried the bill burden for some time. My absolute dearth of achievement in the career realm meant that I'd never be able to carry the house under any circumstances]

My grandfather (a Garden City fellow) and I have noted the difference in eating out near his permanent/winter home in Palm Beach Co versus New York. Our baseline isn't $500+ pp NYC dining (he could afford it, but couldn't countenance it as someone whose wedding cost $850), but it is fairly obvious in most cases involving like-for-like dining. We recognize that we're eating the difference, at the ultimate end, in real estate taxes.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Really? Look at the state of discourse eight now in the UK and Australia. I think both have grown more extreme and rage-motivated recently, on parallel course with the US. When we visit Oz we have to tread just as gingerly around political topics with our hair-trigger relations, who hold fierce and uncompromising views, as we would visiting certain pockets of the US south.
I suppose that I should have added that my primary time in both the UK and OZ occurred 2008-12 and 2012-14, respectively. In Australia though, I had two visits back including a month over Christmas 2018 and 7 weeks this past May/June. There is the sound and fury on the media and on social media (e.g. twitter, relevant parts of Reddit), but barring the odd snipe at the other side, I really didn't feel it in Australia. When dealing with old UK friends and contacts, I detect a sense of despair & exhaustion, regardless of their Brexit stance.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
One thing I hate about the US is that prices don't typically include tax - or at least do what Japan does, and show the price pre-/post- addition of tax.

Actually, I'd say the US represents horrible value wrt quality (of service). It has some spectacular natural attractions, but once I visit the few left on my list, I'd question ever returning to live/visit here.
The accommodation point really struck home. I was surprised in my 2016 and -17 summer travels around the US how virtually any lodging where I felt my car wouldn't have a window smashed generally would generally cost me minimum $100+ tax. I was surprised in Japan to find an abundance of modest but perfectly serviceable hotels aimed at travelling businessmen in the US$40-80 range. IIRC, this was for a double bed ensuite room running about 130-200 sq ft.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Coming back to the states, it felt weird to just shift from one house to another, or even move from one state to another, without really needing to tell anyone officially about it. Unlike the several other countries wherein I had resided, the US government just doesn't care where I live. Freedom really is quite unregulated.
Just curious - how do you get onto the voter register in the U.S. if you don't tell anyone where you live? Or is being eligible to vote is based purely on honesty?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:04 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Quite a few Asian cities have the luxury of being new enough (or communist enough) to be able to put rail line wherever they want.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Having a home in both London and Sonoma, California, you can either decide that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, or you can decide to celebrate what's better in each place. So, in Sonoma I thoroughly enjoy the climate, the excellent local produce, the air quality and the forward-looking nature of educated people there. In London, I thoroughly enjoy the significantly lower prices, the sophistication and diversity and the infrastructure. It doesn't mean one's better than the other, but that they are different. And thank Heavens they are different as otherwise the world would be a very dull place.
Good attitude, I live like that. Having lived on two continents and a few countries and cities I am often asked "what is the best place you lived in ?" My standard reply is what is good here is bad there and what is good there is bad here. So there is no heaven on earth...if there were there wouldn't be one up there " !
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Just curious - how do you get onto the voter register in the U.S. if you don't tell anyone where you live? Or is being eligible to vote is based purely on honesty?
To the first question: It depends on the state and when a person got or gets on the voter rolls, but they do ask where you live or have lived (or maybe where your family lived). In some states, getting a driving license or local state ID was the fast track to getting onto the voter rolls, but for that too they generally do ask about address.

To the second question: In the end, on matters of governing systems, it’s always based on who has the biggest stick — not on honesty. Regardless of documents presented, being eligible to vote is based on meeting the requirement to register and vote and on being subject to prosecution for perjury, voter fraud and/or other crimes if failing to meet the legal requirements to register and vote but doing so anyway.
cockpitvisit likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 1, 2019 at 8:43 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:00 am
mhy

Originally Posted by Wilbur
As an expat, I became used to having to check in with the local police station and register my presence and new address when we moved from one home or apartment to another. This is a process that included showing my passport and current resident visa and filling out local residency forms so that the government knew where Johnny Foreigner was living, and it consumed a couple of hours every time you moved.

Coming back to the states, it felt weird to just shift from one house to another, or even move from one state to another, without really needing to tell anyone officially about it. Unlike the several other countries wherein I had resided, the US government just doesn't care where I live. Freedom really is quite unregulated.

The downside, of course, is the situation of the guy who was managing the year-long local government project to clean and refit the desert wash that runs behind my house. He had come to the States from India on an H1-B visa for a California employer in the 2000s, then left that job and just moved to Arizona and started working here, gradually bringing over the members of his family onesie-twosie over time. The government apparently has no serious means to control this sort of thing, and the guy figured he was free and clear. Trump's Wall isn't going to have any effect on these scenarios.
Actually, foreigners living in the US on visas (and even green card holders) are required to report to USCIS within 10 days whenever their address changes. Although I doubt it is actually enforced with any real consistency, the US government can technically begin removal proceedings for someone who forgot to file the form

The administration's priority seems to be less on visa overstays and more on illegal border crossings. As someone said the guy behind your house is most likely a permanent resident (probably a citizen by now).

Last edited by mhy; Jul 2, 2019 at 8:10 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:58 am
mhy

Moved from Japan to the US 10+ years ago. Whenever I go back, which is several times a year now, I experience massive reverse culture shock.

Pros:
  • Efficient, clean, and well-maintained public transit systems. Even in semi-rural areas.
  • Shinkansen.
  • Fantastic customer service
  • Super quiet in public places
  • Cheap, delicious food
  • Immaculately clean department stores
Cons:
  • Country feels like it peaked in the 1980s/90s and is now 'stabilized', not really innovating that much anymore and just coasting
  • Tourist areas are extremely congested. Kyoto is a madhouse
  • Service is really good but can be inflexible. If you want anything done in a nonstandard way, often times they won't bend the rules.
BearX220 and HMPS like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:58 pm

As someone who's lived abroad for 20 years, the biggest culture shock I get when I come back to the UK on holiday is the fact that I can understand (most) of the conversations I overhear on public transport, shops, streets etc. I can also read the street signs, advertising posters and so on without having to give it any thought. What's really odd is all the magazines that have celebrities on the cover who I've never heard of, not being able to watch British TV.

I don't drive in the UK. Firstly, I don't really know how to fill the tank at a petrol station (they do that for you in the Gulf countries) and it's all on the wrong side of the road for me. Sometimes I have to close my eyes when being driven around roundabouts because it feels so wrong to go clockwise, and I prefer to sit in the back seat as 90% of the time, I'm trying to get in the wrong side of the car because the passenger seat at the front is not where I'm expecting it to be.

Also, back in the UK I'm not taller than most people and no one stares at me because I have noticeably different colour hair or eyes. It's really weird fitting in with everyone else around you. Nice, but weird.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I grew up in Western Nassau (Floral Park) and will probably be passing through soon. The RE taxes are indeed mind-boggling and more or less forced the sale of my childhood home in the aftermath of my mother's death when I was 21. Given the financial and relationship issues involved, I did not see my sister (then 20) and I as capable of carrying it. The home, sold for $450k after renovations, incurred a total tax burden of about $17,000 after Village of Floral Park taxes. Frankly, I was terrified of being forced to bear 100% of the tax, bill, and maintenance burden with 50% ownership while my sister ran away from everything. [That worked out to only be partially true. My sister did effectively avoid investing any time or money & I carried the bill burden for some time. My absolute dearth of achievement in the career realm meant that I'd never be able to carry the house under any circumstances]

My grandfather (a Garden City fellow) and I have noted the difference in eating out near his permanent/winter home in Palm Beach Co versus New York. Our baseline isn't $500+ pp NYC dining (he could afford it, but couldn't countenance it as someone whose wedding cost $850), but it is fairly obvious in most cases involving like-for-like dining. We recognize that we're eating the difference, at the ultimate end, in real estate taxes.

I suppose that I should have added that my primary time in both the UK and OZ occurred 2008-12 and 2012-14, respectively. In Australia though, I had two visits back including a month over Christmas 2018 and 7 weeks this past May/June. There is the sound and fury on the media and on social media (e.g. twitter, relevant parts of Reddit), but barring the odd snipe at the other side, I really didn't feel it in Australia. When dealing with old UK friends and contacts, I detect a sense of despair & exhaustion, regardless of their Brexit stance.

The accommodation point really struck home. I was surprised in my 2016 and -17 summer travels around the US how virtually any lodging where I felt my car wouldn't have a window smashed generally would generally cost me minimum $100+ tax. I was surprised in Japan to find an abundance of modest but perfectly serviceable hotels aimed at travelling businessmen in the US$40-80 range. IIRC, this was for a double bed ensuite room running about 130-200 sq ft.
130-200 is awfully small especially if two persons in a room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.