Reverse culture shock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reverse culture shock

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I left all forms of "home" a couple of years ago, so there are a few places in the world where I get a sense of culture shock when I'm back in town.

In London (obviously only particular parts) it's the presence of the extreme rich: the Arab families in their stretched limos or in roadside sweetshops, Russians in humvees, more birkins than many small countries have people. I never realised when I lived there, but it's actually even worse than Monaco (and I used to live opposite members of the Thai Royal family and we had a bodyguard usually outside the house on the other side). Also, (white) people are also so very white and not tanned like in the places of the world where I try to spend my time.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
The Bay area in California is one of the most expensive places on earth to live. As long as demand outpaces supply then prices will be what they are. When hotels see their occupancy rates drop, they'll drop their prices. Same with wine tasting venues. Ever buy a beer in Iceland, a place not known for their beer? It's expensive.

Many factors contribute to the congestion: Americans love their cars, people have long commutes to more affordable bedroom communities, oil/airline lobbies not wanting more efficient high speed connectivity between cities and,well, we love our cars. The USA is a huge country that has major cities. You can't drive an easy day without hitting a metropolis. Quite a few Asian cities have the luxury of being new enough (or communist enough) to be able to put rail line wherever they want. It's an afterthought in the USA.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by g289t
This is because you were in California. This is not true for the US in general.
Please don't consider this question trolling, but is there a a place in US where lodging inside or close to the entrance of National Park won't cost starting from $200/night?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Please don't consider this question trolling, but is there a a place in US where lodging inside or close to the entrance of National Park won't cost starting from $200/night?
IIRC there are some spots that are technically national parks but wouldn't be so expensive, such as IIRC the schoolhouse that was the historic site for the Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court separate but equal case, the women's rights site in upstate New York, the trading post along Lake Superior near the MN/Canada border, Gettysburg civil war battlefield, etc. However, they're not at all like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Denali, etc.

High versus low season, weekend versus weeknight, and the quality of the accommodations obviously matter too.

Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

OK, there were plenty of examples not showing US in greater and positive light, but I do have some of examples of such:

Home/house sizes in US. They are HUGE, well, unless you live in Manhattan. You take an average single family suburban home and in terms of space/square footage it most likely will be a palace compared to the rest of the world.

Properties of an average house/living space itself: having average number of bathrooms in a house >1 is norm contrary to the rest of the world where three bedrooms and single bathroom is considered a norm, rather than exception. Also, in an average US home number of power outlets is >40.

Fences, or better to say - absence of such. In good part of the world you can't see a house due to a fence or brick wall which is in most case taller than an average human.

Human labor, even low level/skill set is quite expensive makes house maids/servants affordable only to ultra rich people. And the fact that having such 'domestic help' - I mean someone who comes and cleans your house, cookes your dinner, takes kids to/from schools on daily bases - is considered 'un-American'. I mean - going against cultural values of the society. Please note - I am not talking about cleaning houses on weekly/bi-weekly bases. I am talking about people to do ALL household work and often live on-premises and politely to say - are not treated nicely by their employers. I'm sure you've heard enough cases in news.

Cleanness of air, even in the middle of metropolitan areas with huge traffic problems. The fact that you do not see 'smokers' poisoning air and if you see such, calling 800 number to report such car/driver is a good thing and almost your civic duty. Compare this to one of my (non-reverse) culture shocks when during an overseas trip I noticed such a car and made comment that it would be a good idea to report. A driver, local, was genuinely offended - his argument was - why do you want to 'rat on' on that person, what has he had done to you?

Customer service. Generic level of customer service (airlines and government agencies excluded) is excellent compared to the vast majority of the world where you have to ask, plead or use threats repeatedly to get something done in non-standard situations. I mean a simple cases like when I got into a shop inside mall at 8:55PM which was closing at 9PM and I wanted a specific color/cut dress shirts. A girl - the shop assistant stayed there with me next 20 min and going and checking inventory in the back of the shop until she found what I was looking for. Such treatment was like fresh air. Believe me that this is serious issue - I've seen people having nervous breakdowns to the point to throwing keys to personnel in bank offices in the places where I live. I can't really imagine something like this happening in US bank office due to the incompetence of the stuff.

Generic willingness of people to help strangers in distress. Contrary to what you can see/witness in other places

Last edited by invisible; Jun 29, 2019 at 8:36 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:28 pm

Invisible, come to the Pacific Northwest. Now don't stay in Seattle. That is pricey! If you are interested in National Parks, come to Olympic National Park where lodging can be found for less than $200.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pt flyer
Invisible, come to the Pacific Northwest. Now don't stay in Seattle. That is pricey! If you are interested in National Parks, come to Olympic National Park where lodging can be found for less than $200.
Will note for the next time. Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
I’m going to explore this from the opposite end; I grew up in Hong Kong, and went to the uk to study for three years.

Having spent time in the UK and return to Hong Kong during my first Christmas:
1. The point about trains and metro? I never knew HK had such a great system. I always took it for granted since I used to travel among SEA countries and Japan usually and in my view all of them have plainly “good” transit, but nothing crazy. After experiencing the ones in Canada, UK, and USA? Oh man. I started having to plan on NOT relying on public transit. And upon return to HK, where a metro being late for 5 min will attract half a million US dollars in fines and a front page story, I realised the complaints of people who said hk metro was “expensive” or “reliable” just didn’t know how good we have it.

2. Loud people and rudeness? Also gotten used to politeness in the uk, and returning to hk was a shock as to how little others think about you. Loud conversations everywhere (not just locals but a lot of tourists), people yelling, loud phone calls...etc (not saying they don’t exist in the uk but there’s less).

3. Cost of living: if you think 20 dollars to taste four glasses of wine is expensive? Try HK. At a bar it’s almost USD15 for a beer (unless it’s happy hour then might go down to 9 dollars for a beer). And apartments? A 500sq foot apartment costs close to US1.5 million on HK Island. For 1.5 million I can buy a Manor House with 1 acre of land in Devon in the UK!

4. And then there is the people density... I long for the day where I can just sit in the gardens with a G and T...
EuropeanPete and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Getting home to Florida in the summer and feeling the need to dig out a sweater while shopping or eating out because of the insanely aggressive air conditioning. And then I remind myself that setting the AC to 69F/21C is so often done to dehumidify a space and prevent the mold and mildew from really setting up shop and that most buildings down here were built under modern energy efficiency codes so the utility use imay not be that bad (I remember af one point figuring out my household’s energy use was about the same as a typical French household and we’ve got 1700sf single family home and so not shy away from running the AC in summer or the heat in what passes for winter here)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Coming back to the US and hafta have a load of single dollar bills to tip between getting off the plane and hitting your pillow in a bed.
farci, kingstontoon and anniegray like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Coming back to the US and hafta have a load of single dollar bills to tip between getting off the plane and hitting your pillow in a bed.
Tipping is a choice. I don't
Originally Posted by hphreak
3. Cost of living: if you think 20 dollars to taste four glasses of wine is expensive? Try HK. At a bar it’s almost USD15 for a beer
The same applies to Singapore and it is normal. But it was not normal/acceptable in California 10 years ago. I remember times and it was not decades away, just before 2010 - when even in Napa/Sonoma maximum you charge for a tasting of 5-6 different wines was $5.

Twenty? for four wines and one tablespoon splash of wine in glass each time for $20? Give me a break.

BTW the most recent experience with wine tasting was on R60/R62 in South Africa. Should I say that in 90% of cases tasting was free and in all cases it was free if you bought any bottle of wine there.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 29, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
After recent weeklong California vacation it came shocking realisation to me how expensive US in general and California in particular is
It's funny how certain things become normal in a relatively short period of time...

I lived in Virginia for 9yrs before moving to NYC 5yrs ago. I still work from home for a Virginia based company and travel back on a regular basis, people are particularly staggered by what rent/housing costs, and given I work in the mortgage business, the real estate taxes. (Where I am in Western Nassau County I paid about 4x that on an equivalent value house in VA). Also, being VA, the cost of cigarettes in NY

It's all rather localized though, a couple of weeks back I went to upstate NY for a bachelor party. Fifteen of us went to a pretty decent Italian restaurant, we all had wine, cocktails, appetizers and main course yet the total bill, before tip, was about $550! The wife and I have spent double that on a meal for the two of us in the city on several occasions...

Last edited by Fraser; Jun 29, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:20 pm

Two positively associated ones - Costco and Target. The expanse of products in larger sizes with so much suburban retail space is something else. Especially if I go when the store isn't busy. The deals seem extra good after traveling abroad and being subject to tourist/central business district prices and tiny shops due to prime real estate.

I've also rarely come across places where electronics and average (not high end designer) branded clothing is cheaper than the US when on sale.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Would you mind to share your stories/experiences of your own cases of reverse culture shock?

I can start. After recent weeklong California vacation it came shocking realisation to me how expensive US in general and California in particular is, pretty much on everything - lodging, car rental, food, attractions, you name it. Heck, $20 fee to taste four different wines now is considered normal...

If for some (not so good) reason I have to go back to US, California and Bay Area specifically would not be the place to settle down.

P.S. And don't get me start about traffic... 35 min to drive from SFO to San Mateo, that's 7 miles.
OP which country / state/ city are you camparing CA with ? Also have you spent timein other states and city ?

Perhaps you can answer this : What is the minimum wage where you are and the cost to buy a loaf bread and a GALLON (count 3.8 Litres to a US GALLON) ? What percent of the hour's wage ?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
America:
  • The highly polarized politics & the presence in conversation. This doesn't seem as pronounced in other parts of the Anglosphere that I have lived in (UK, AU, NZ). Political discussions seem much rarer or confined to more intimate friends. In the US, I find myself privy to the impassioned and controversial opinions of near-strangers.
  • Abysmal transport infrastructure, as mentioned upthread.
  • Tipping. While optional, I can't bring myself to leave servers less than 20%, as I know that's how the rent is paid. Speaking of which...
  • Property prices (incl rent) in any desirable metro are very high. When visiting friends in Lexington, KY a couple of years ago, I was more than a bit shocked to hear that newer 1 bed, 1 ba apartments started at $1,300. Lex is a nice city with a decent-ish (if small) economy for young professionals, but that's a decent chunk of change for flyover country.
  • The growing divide between the upper 15-20% and the lower 80-85% - the upper end lives quite comfortably with private schools, late model vehicles, meaningful access to medical care, significant leisure spending. The lower 80% are in a much more precarious place.
  • Compared with developed country peers, Americans seem particularly stressed and frazzled, be they heartland workers trying to stay ahead of the electric bill or coastal urban professionals looking to maintain and develop their socio-economic position.
  • Forced politeness. I often want to tell the minimum wage worker on the other side of the register than they needn't force a shallow smile or ask me the corporate-mandated questions about how i am enjoying my day. They aren't paid enough to perform that emotional labor for my benefit.
My current stint abroad is likely coming to an end soon, and I am not much looking forward to the return, as you might detect.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.