Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Public transport - different countries - do you say "thanks"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public transport - different countries - do you say "thanks"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really? My impression is that at least parts of Switzerland follow German norms and one would be expected to say hello and goodbye in small shops, etc. as well as thank you.

IME it's more in big east coast USA cities where one doesn't talk to strangers (except to thank taxi drivers, etc.).
I guess that may be because bus tickets are bought before getting on the bus and don't need to be validated (usually) so you don't interact with the driver. You don't need to board at the front either. At a shop, or if a ticket inspector does show up then a greeting and thank you will indeed be the norm.

On the other hand in London where everyone is required to validate their ticket as they board, I didn't hear many interactions.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Manhattan -- Definitely say "Hello," to the driver as you are entering. If you are exiting through the front, say, "Thank you," and, "Good-bye." If you are exiting through the rear of the bus, this does not apply, obviously. Many passengers will say, "Have a nice day," to one another as they leave the bus.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Thanks.

Should the people not have a basic understanding of the international language of business then that's on them.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: US Gold
I see at least some people saying hello and thanks almost everywhere, but it's rarely consistent. In London, it's fairly common, at least in the outer boroughs, to see people saying thanks if they get off at the front. If I'm exiting in the middle/rear, I'm not going to shout to the driver unless the bus is empty, though I may wave if I see they're looking. If they're nice enough to wait for me while I run down the street to catch the bus, *of course* I thank them.

Time of day makes a difference, too. I've had occasion to ride the buses late at night to/from Heathrow, and then you'll see people who ride the same bus every night and know the drivers. They're sometimes quite chatty with one another, and I've seen that lots of other places at less-busy times.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
Such a location (e.g. North Sentinel Island) probably doesn't have a public transportation system.
Just checked out an aerial photo....it's pretty clear theirs is an underground system.

If I board or exit public transport near the driver/operator of the vehicle, I usually say hello and goodbye or thank you. I probably do this universally, in the local language if I know it, even if the operator just thinks I'm an overly-friendly tourist. But it's not something I obsess about or go out of my way to do. If it's a long bus and I'm exiting through a rear door, I don't bother. Driver can't see or hear me anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.