Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cutting in line...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you not even have a wallet or phone to send through the x-ray in a small tray? You can't carry those items through the metal detector, can you? I always have a least a backpack anyways, but just wondering...
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
If at PreCheck, no need to remove wallet from my pocket, phone always goes into computer bag prior to the x-ray line, but after boarding pass check.
Right, but OP said they didn't have anything for the x-ray line, therefore no computer bag to put the phone into...

I'm in the habit of just putting my wallet in the bowl as well, I swear it has set off the metal detector before when I had no other metal on me, and those closest thing to metal in my wallet would've been magnetic strips on credit cards... Metal detectors seem pretty inconsistent anyways, I've walked through the metal detector with my belt on many times without setting it off, but just last week the same belt set off the detector for the first time. And I almost always put my keys in my laptop bag on the parking shuttle since I won't be needing them, but one time I forgot and didn't realize they were still in my pocket until my destination, so they obviously didn't set off the metal detector. There were 4 keys and a remote on the ring, really surprised it didn't set it off. Fortunately I had remembered to remove the quick-release half of my key chain, with several less-used keys... and a small pocket knife!

(sorry for the thread derail)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Right, but OP said they didn't have anything for the x-ray line, therefore no computer bag to put the phone into...

I'm in the habit of just putting my wallet in the bowl as well, I swear it has set off the metal detector before when I had no other metal on me, and those closest thing to metal in my wallet would've been magnetic strips on credit cards... Metal detectors seem pretty inconsistent anyways, I've walked through the metal detector with my belt on many times without setting it off, but just last week the same belt set off the detector for the first time. And I almost always put my keys in my laptop bag on the parking shuttle since I won't be needing them, but one time I forgot and didn't realize they were still in my pocket until my destination, so they obviously didn't set off the metal detector. There were 4 keys and a remote on the ring, really surprised it didn't set it off. Fortunately I had remembered to remove the quick-release half of my key chain, with several less-used keys... and a small pocket knife!

(sorry for the thread derail)
While it would be nice for OP to specifically define things, I inferred that he/she was like me and is ready, not screwing around and waiting until the belt to figure things out.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:57 pm

"And when we say there is none, we mean there is a certain amount."

Nothing to be scanned means nothing to be scanned.

https://www.theslot.com/literal.html

Seth

Last edited by sethweinstein; Jun 10, 2019 at 9:21 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:25 pm

While it would be nice for OP to specifically define things, I inferred that he/she was like me and is ready, not screwing around and waiting until the belt to figure things out.
Originally Posted by danbrew
I was at a relatively small airport the other day, too small for a dedicated precheck line, and there was a huge family unit with kids and multiple bags per person and all sorts of things that are holding up the line. I have absolutely nothing to scan, I just need to walk through the magnetometer. While the family unit is trying to figure out the shoes, the baby’s, the bags, etc., I just walked around them and presented myself at the magnetometer. Whoa! Big mistake. The TSA lady had a fit and proudly announced to the entire line that I had just cut in front of each and every one of them. She then tells me that I have to ask permission from each person that I had “cut in front of...”.

And of course I did have plenty of time to kill, and upon reflection, maybe should have just stood there and waited. It seemed silly that there was a stall in the line and it didn’t occur to me that anybody would get bent out of shape, much less the TSA lady. I see things like that all the time at larger airports - you clear the ID guy and then head for the scanner. You don’t go get behind 20 people sticking bags on the conveyor belt when you have no bags.

Note to self - “self, don’t ‘cut’ in line at those small airports...!”

Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Somehow I missed that. I'm from Fort Dodge by the way, assuming your handle means you are in Des Moines, IA.
DSM Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:39 pm

Somehow I missed that. I'm from Fort Dodge by the way, assuming your handle means you are in Des Moines, IA.
You are correct. I was born in Fort Dodge, lived in various parts of the state, and now am in Des Moines.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you not even have a wallet or phone to send through the x-ray in a small tray? You can't carry those items through the metal detector, can you? I always have a least a backpack anyways, but just wondering...
Day trip, credit card & drivers license. Was dropped at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.