Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discoveries while travelling - things you didn't know before

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:30 am
Suspended

Fun thread.

The main thing I’ve observed over the years is how dominate the American culture is around the world. Not judging good or bad, just an observation. Same within the US, there was a time when traveling to different parts was almost like visiting another country but now it’s all the same.

I love that Mark Twain quote because it’s so true. Traveling with an open nonjudgmental attitude can make the entire experience completely different. I too believe that traveling made me a better person.

Oh, and fried scorpion in China isn’t all that bad.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
-Singapore really doesn’t do street food.

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I guess I'm not a foodie, so I never understood the fuss around food in Singapore.
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
If you're talking about street cart food, I would mostly agree... But "food truck" or hawker food, they have plenty.
Interesting. This coming winter, I'll have my first real stop in Singapore - a 3-night visit. When I encounter people who've been there, they give me the impression there's this huge streetfood scene, like Portland on steroids. Whether from a truck, cart, or permanent stand, the impression is that you can just walk along, order something amazing, and eat it outside.

Since you guys have been there, do you have any tips? What's the reality? Are there large collections of food-hawkers in a single place (a la Portland) or just one-offs around town? Or is it more like other cities where some restaurants have outdoor seating, but it's more of a full-menu vibe, not a streetfood vibe?

Was the streetfood scene in Crazy Rich Asians shot anywhere real, or just fabricated in a studio somewhere?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
What's it made from?
It was Alpro, and this was long before the sudden diversity of base materials for vegan food products. So, it would have been soya milk based.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:37 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If you're talking about street cart food, I would mostly agree... But "food truck" or hawker food, they have plenty.
”Hawkers centers” are not on the street. With Singapore’s confusing rules for cleanliness (smoke if you got ‘em, but don’t eat while you walk), it wouldn’t make any sense.

Now, Indonesia, China in its Tier 2 and lower cities, and Thailand- great street food countries. Singapore, OTOH, good country for eating, just not kerbside.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by pinniped

Interesting. This coming winter, I'll have my first real stop in Singapore - a 3-night visit. When I encounter people who've been there, they give me the impression there's this huge streetfood scene, like Portland on steroids. Whether from a truck, cart, or permanent stand, the impression is that you can just walk along, order something amazing, and eat it outside.

Since you guys have been there, do you have any tips? What's the reality? Are there large collections of food-hawkers in a single place (a la Portland) or just one-offs around town? Or is it more like other cities where some restaurants have outdoor seating, but it's more of a full-menu vibe, not a streetfood vibe?

Was the streetfood scene in Crazy Rich Asians shot anywhere real, or just fabricated in a studio somewhere?
The streetfood scene in Crazy Rich Asians is real alright . FTers who have been to SIN DOs hang out there at Newton Circus where it was filmed . It was supposed to have been at another in the book , Lau Pa Sat - meaning old market in local Hokkien ( one of many Chinese dialects with “ Pa Sat “ from pasar which is market in Malay ! ) - as it was historically .
Food courts are usually air conditioned while hawker centres are al fresco
There are numerous hawker centres / food courts to be enjoyed all over - discovery time .
Look at the photos , usually displayed above each stall , so you do get an idea of what you are ordering

Many , many moons ago , these stalls were carts on bicycles , tricycles and even before carried about on poles - go figure ..

The issue is what to try first as you saw in the movie ! Decisions , decisions , decisions !!

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 20, 2019 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
”Hawkers centers” are not on the street. With Singapore’s confusing rules for cleanliness (smoke if you got ‘em, but don’t eat while you walk), it wouldn’t make any sense.

Now, Indonesia, China in its Tier 2 and lower cities, and Thailand- great street food countries. Singapore, OTOH, good country for eating, just not kerbside.

Just because it comes from a hawker centre does not mean it can't be considered street food. Yes, some foods like laksa or nasi goreng probably doesn't work. But satay? Otak-Otak? Roti? Zhongzi? All used to be sold from streetside vendors... Another example, durian... Go near Rochor road and they're still sold from carts... All would qualify as street food... You just have to make a sidetrip into a hawker entre instead of getting it from a cart... Mainly for space and health reasons.
​​
Originally Posted by pinniped

There is a great food scene, but not quite the same.... Lau Pa Sat or Gluttony Bay for supper... My go to's when I am there are "Old Airport Road Hawker Center" and Golden Mile. People's Park isn't too bad either. Depends how adventurous you are. As others have said, look at the pictures and other orders to get an idea.
​​​​
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
My travels have uncovered this:
Smiles are universal. So are shrugs, nods, thumbs ups, etc.
Whether you can talk to them or not, most people are pretty nice.
Yet, as my friend used to say, "There's one [jerk] in every crowd."
Regardless of culture, most people complain to some degree by the way the country is run/the people in charge, and fundamentally, just want the chance to live peacefully with the ones they love and have the best for their children.
Go with it. Not getting exactly what you want when you travel, such as in restaurants, generally doesn't matter in the long run.
Travel has made me a better person.
Just a warning. "Thumbs up" is not universal. In many Middle Eastern countries, it's the equivalent of the middle finger salute.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Question to seasoned and semi-seasoned travellers:

What were your personal discoveries when travelling to new countries, which were unknown/not obvious to you before embarking the trip?

In other words, what you've learned in a particular place/country place which was not plastered around Internet (or FT, to be honest)?

Thanks
Leisure/Discretionary Travel: I have learned that the concept of "country" is virtually meaningless in the context of travel experience. (I'm setting aside, say currencies and travel visas, necessary but not the reason anyone travels.) Cultures are what is important and these transcend borders, especially those drawn and re-drawn for political reasons.

I suppose I should give the caveat that I travel for people; my perspective would probably different if I traveled for political interests, history or ???
thebakaronis likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ksandness
Just a warning. "Thumbs up" is not universal. In many Middle Eastern countries, it's the equivalent of the middle finger salute.
And smiling when it's not expected may be perceived as ingratiating or as a sign of low intelligence. Worse, the "OK" sign is extremely vulgar in some cultures.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:45 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Street food in another excellent country for eats on-the-go, Mexico. The kerb is clearly seen...

Just because it comes from a hawker centre does not mean it can't be considered street food. Yes, some foods like laksa or nasi goreng probably doesn't work. But satay? Otak-Otak? Roti? Zhongzi? All used to be sold from streetside vendors... Another example, durian... Go near Rochor road and they're still sold from carts... All would qualify as street food... You just have to make a sidetrip into a hawker entre instead of getting it from a cart... Mainly for space and health reasons.
​​
​​​​

Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
And smiling when it's not expected may be perceived as ingratiating or as a sign of low intelligence.
For example, in France.
See a good explanation here: https://www.frenchtruly.com/dont-smile/
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by muji
For example, in France.
See a good explanation here: https://www.frenchtruly.com/dont-smile/
Exactly what I had in mind. A Parisian publisher I know loves visiting the States, but he can't get used to seeing people walking around "smiling like idiots".
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Newton Circus where it was filmed . It was supposed to have been at another in the book , Lau Pa Sat - meaning old market in local Hokkien ( one of many Chinese dialects with “ Pa Sat “ from pasar which is market in Malay ! )
Ahem, any local and expats who have been living here for a while would tell to avoid these two places - food there is not particularly great and overpriced as well.

Good hawker centers are in heartlands - Tiong Bahru, Old Airport Road, Zion road. And if you wanna to see how really locals are living/eating, go to places like Khatib or Jurong.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Ahem, any local and expats who have been living here for a while would tell to avoid these two places - food there is not particularly great and overpriced as well.

Good hawker centers are in heartlands - Tiong Bahru, Old Airport Road, Zion road. And if you wanna to see how really locals are living/eating, go to places like Khatib or Jurong.
At the risk of hijacking this thread to focus on Singaporean foods, I actually like Lau Pa Sat for the convenience. It's in a area easy to meet with office teams for food. While the food might not be the greatest, you could do much worse. My only beef is the occasional tout (sorry, but that's what they are). Every place has its advantages, it's just different for everyone.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just back from a week in the UK and it's interesting that it feels less and less different than the US each time I visit. Too many things that we have are also there.

However, there are two things that we have that aren't there (or at least not super common) and I actually missed a lot, as an American in a foreign land:

1. Cream for my coffee (or even something like Coffeemate) - curious: are Americans the only ones who use half-and-half and/or cream in coffee? I don't find that milk really does the trick and this is an issue that I've found all over (Europe, Asia, South America)
2. Ice - Why don't people outside the US love ice the way we do?
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.