Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Positioning to another location for a better fare - downsides?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold

Hello,

I'm planning a multi-leg trip, which is unavoidable for my route. It's significantly less for me to fly out of a different airport.

SEA-JRO - $8k
YVR-JRO - $5k
SEA-YVR - $300

(Delta/KLM; KLM operates, and I'd probably book with them if it makes a difference)

I've tried to add the SEA-YVR flights to a multi-city itinerary that includes the others. But when I do that, it prices out basically the same as SEA-JRO, instead of the $5300 I was hoping for.

From some research, looks like I probably can't link the PNR's. So if I book the tickets separately, I believe that means I'm not protected for the *-JRO portion of the flight, if the first one is delayed. Another minor thing is that the baggage rules would likely be different for the short SEA-YVR route vs. the longer one. From what I've read here, DL doesn't have a clear policy on it, but in practice will put you on a later flight if they cause you to miss a connection. I wasn't able to find out if KLM has the same policy, and I don't know if it makes a difference who ticketed the trip or who operates the flight.

AFAIK, travel insurance won't really help the case where I miss my flight. At best, I get some travel delay reimbursement. But I'd still need to pay (probably a ridiculous amount) to get on the next available flight.

Is there any other way to protect myself from potential mishaps here, other than biting the bullet on the direct flight, or other things I haven't considered?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I guess the safest thing is to arrive a day early to give yourself plenty of time to find alternate means of travel in the IRROPs. Also, if the luggage on the SEA-YVR leg is an issue, is there alternate means of transportation that isn't sensitive to the luggage? Train/Bus?
GadgetFreak and Yoshi212 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
how does it price out using Multi-City on Kayak or Google Flights?
Old May 31, 2019, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Plenty of threads on FT on this topic, with all sorts of strategies to minimise risk. But, in essence:
  1. You are not protected by the airline if you arrive in YVR too late for your flight, even if it's the same airline's fault. You will lose the entire ticket, unless you can persuade the airline to offer a flat tire rule waiver
  2. You will have to pay for baggage on positioning flights.
  3. Most travel insurance policies won't protect you in such circumstances either
  4. The very safest plan is to book a back-to-back where your routing from YVR takes you back through SEA, AND you are guaranteed that the same plane will be used on both routes AND you are travelling HBO
  5. Failing that it's much safer to spend the night at YVR
  6. If you do this regularly (which several of us do), then self insurance is the winning way.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I guess the safest thing is to arrive a day early to give yourself plenty of time to find alternate means of travel in the IRROPs. Also, if the luggage on the SEA-YVR leg is an issue, is there alternate means of transportation that isn't sensitive to the luggage? Train/Bus?
Quick Shuttle: Vancouver Seattle Schedule

I'd use this, or else go to Vancouver and spend one or two nights.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:01 pm

Some TA are able to construct a fare - so check with a TA is my advice. they might be able to find you even cheaper options.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by erik123
Some TA are able to construct a fare - so check with a TA is my advice. they might be able to find you even cheaper options.
TA here - we cannot "construct fares" - contract rules require all tickets to auto-price in the GDS, any attempt to manually construct a fare without an airline waiver is a big debit memo with the ticketing plate at risk.

Having said this, I do the ex-YVR thing myself on a regular basis - I am doing another trip next month YVR-TPE/TSA-HND/NRT-YVR in business for 2k which was 1/4 the price vs ex-LAX where we live. My standard practice is fly to YVR the evening before, overnight near the airport, and off we go the next day.

On the way back, I either route via LAX and drop the last segment ONLY if ticketed on an airline different from where my miles are going, or I have a flexible mileage ticket and nice long layover for the flight back to LA.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Luggage - The issue is really just an extra bag fee (and probably a hassle to reclaim it, then check it again for the next flight). Not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience.

Shuttle - Seems like that's additional hassle, only upside is price. Now I have a 4+hr journey each way, significantly more risk of a delay/mechanical causing problems & have to transfer from the shuttle to the skytrain to get to the airport.

TA - May go this route. Was worried about wasting their time. Because if they can't do anything that I can't do myself, then I'd prefer to just book on my own.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

TA - May go this route. Was worried about wasting their time. Because if they can't do anything that I can't do myself, then I'd prefer to just book on my own.
I will send you a PM
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:39 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I have taken advantage of this ex-YVR on a number of occasions.

A one-way rental car will cost less than $300, or you can take the train or Quick Shuttle bus. But no, you won't be protected on two flights with different PNRs.

What's your overall route and plan? Is $5K/$8K for SEA/YVR - JRO return or as part of a more extensive trip? Have you looked into an RTW ticket option?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

<sorry if this is a repost - doesn't look like my previous reply posted for some reason>
RTW - Had not considered it. OW doesn't offer JRO as a destination; ST does, but it's $11k for the lowest fare band, and I don't have time available to add it on to something longer.
Route is SEA-JRO return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.