Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can increasing airport tax a solution to overtourism?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can increasing airport tax a solution to overtourism?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 6:02 pm

When you say 'overtourism' you mean absolute numbers. If you want to restrict tourists you can just limit them. You are trying to do that with a tax, but just by setting a quota the same goal is accomplished.
Anyway, Bhutan has decided it doesn't want poor tourists and has a minimum price one has to pay daily, in order to get a visa. It, thus, is not overrun with tourists.
And this has nothing to do with an airport tax.

If VCE has a high airport tax, why wouldn't someone just fly in to another city and take the bus or rail over?
Old May 23, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Bhutan's tourism "tax" or minimum spend requirement is probably a better way to ration a limited resource.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Nhilar
I find it is mostly tourists themselves that complain of 'overtourism' and not the locals that feed their families on the tourist money.
So true. I used to live within walking distance of Universal Orlando. Today, I live a stone's throw from Fort Lauderdale Beach. While locals will always gripe about the behavior and impact of tourists, deep down most know that tourism money is essential to our local and state economy.

Every time someone local really starts complaining, I remind him or her that without all the tourists, we'd probably have be paying a state income tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.