Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Found Boarding Passes

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 9:40 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Found Boarding Passes

Today I discovered two boarding passes in the seat pocket left over from the previous days flight. Not a big deal but ??

Clearly the cleaning crew missed it (horrors)

It had the names of the two passengers as Mr and Mrs, it had both their ticket number and booking code (no FF number as it had been stamped NO FF CREDIT. It was TPA-DTW in F . It had a big stamp DOCS-OK so I deduced they were on a TATL trip since their arrival time was after 6pm.. My wife challenged that deduction so I took it a step farther when I got home to my computer and the Delta web site.

I was able to bring up their complete itinerary to Europe and back and the ability to change their seats and add features ???? I then could also bring up their FF numbers as well as a list of add-ons such as need for handicap assistance, mobility problems, hearing problems etc.etc..

It struck me that you really shouldn't leave your boarding passes for others to find while your still on your trip

Have you ever checked in for a flight and found your seats were gone and the agent could not fully explain it? A lost boarding pass on an earlier flight might explain it
jgor likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I found a BP for Peter Coors in the seatback pocket years ago, he was flying DEN-LAX in F on UA.

It's true that your BP contains all the information necessary for someone to change your seat or even cancel your ticket. Since there is little to no incentive for them to do so, I don't think it is a big risk, but definitely better to keep your BP close-at-hand.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to TravelBuzz
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old May 3, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Apropos of nothing really but I have often wondered who the he** puts their boarding pass - or any other important documents - in that seatback pocket. I mean, really? It is almost as dumb as the guy who wrote about leaving his WALLET there. Sheesh!
Old May 3, 2019, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree, and I'm also careful not to leave boarding pass/itinerary/receipt in an airport lounge unattended or visible in my hotel room or office. It's an easy precaution to take.

OTOH, I remember staying at the same hotel as some top executives during the NW/DL merger and I was shocked to find that employees were very careless about information left behind in the business center: financial spreadsheets and merger plans left in the printer (maybe these were just drafts, but such documents shouldn't be public), email accounts, and flight PNRs. It would have been so easy to change the CEO's seat assignment (or worse) but I didn't. Maybe they believed that their group had taken over the entire hotel, but even so, during a merger, some employees are likely to be disgruntled.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I think I recall someone found Paris Hilton's boarding pass in a seat pocket.

Update I was right. Paris Hilton's boarding pass on Trade Me | Stuff.co.nz
Old May 4, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I read about a passport being left as well. Not sure I really believe it. That would take a special kind of cluelessness.

And then, there was the news report about a federal agent leaving a gun in an airport lavatory! I used to be a LEO and simply cannot understand that at all.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I found a BP for Peter Coors in the seatback pocket years ago, he was flying DEN-LAX in F on UA.

It's true that your BP contains all the information necessary for someone to change your seat or even cancel your ticket. Since there is little to no incentive for them to do so, I don't think it is a big risk, but definitely better to keep your BP close-at-hand.
For the same reason I keep my luggage tags until my trip is over. DH thinks I’m paranoid.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I do always wonder how many people who have a largish following on social media find out that their return leg of a trip has been cancelled after posting their boarding passes as part of their selfies/stories
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People are lazy and it can have terrible consequences. Documents of any kind go back in a wallet, purse or something else similar. People routinely leave BP's, passports, and sensitive work-related documents.

No excuse for it and it winds up costing everyone else as well.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:34 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I remember staying at the same hotel as some top executives during the NW/DL merger and I was shocked to find that employees were very careless about information left behind in the business center
Did'ja happen to come across copies of proposed future award charts? I guess not.

84fiero likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07

For the same reason I keep my luggage tags until my trip is over. DH thinks I’m paranoid.
Not a bad idea at all. Or at least rip through the bar code and locator number.
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
One more reason to NEVER print them and just keep them on your phone
Old May 6, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
One more reason to NEVER print them and just keep them on your phone
Unless you drop your phone and break it, or lose it, or it gets stolen, or battery runs out, etc. LOL!

I always get a paper copy after my phone fell out of the cab and got run over (ouch).
However, I make sure to keep my paper copies as well until I get home and then into the shredder they go.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
Unless you drop your phone and break it, or lose it, or it gets stolen, or battery runs out, etc. LOL!

I always get a paper copy after my phone fell out of the cab and got run over (ouch).
However, I make sure to keep my paper copies as well until I get home and then into the shredder they go.
I have 2 phones, an apple watch and an ipad with me.

If I am clumsy enough to break both phone, discharge my ipad and my watch is stolen, I guess I could be in trouble and probably don't even deserve to fly.
Sarcasm aside

In this day and age, most everyone is 100000 times more likely to leave their wallet than their cell device, I would still rather "Chance it" than leave my boarding pass laying around.

That said, if doo doo happens, you can always have one printed, I just make than plan B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.