Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Y pax in F lavs (airline policy statements)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

No personal attacks and bickering like in the other thread. The vitriol there inspired me to reach out to several airlines for clarification, this is what has come back thus far:

AA: "Most customers naturally use the lav in their ticketed cabin and our crewmembers may even encourage this...Most passengers are considerate and use the one in their cabin but there are times, they may have special needs and use the closest one....they can officially use any bathroom they'd like on flights where that's allowed...When travelling to the US from an international destination, customers do need to use the lav in the same cabin as ticketed."

UA: "[O]ur crew usually want our passengers using the lavatory in their cabin."

DL: "Using the lavatory specific to the cabin you're booked in is expected."

LH: "Lufthansa passengers are asked to use the [lavs] corresponding to their compartments."

QF: "Business passengers only have access to the bathrooms in business."

LX: "No, [Y pax using F lavs], is not allowed in general on Swiss operated flights. Except if the crew allows it in special situations."

SA: "Please note SAA business class lavatories can only be used by business class passengers."

I will continue to post more quotes as airlines reply to the inquiry. Please keep it civil in this thread so the mods don't have to shut it down. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just a reminder that, as with many if not most contentious topics that are cussed and discussed here on FT, policy isn’t what’s written; policy is what’s practiced
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

EK: “Economy class passengers on our flights can use the lavatories in economy class cabin only. Hope this clarifies.”
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

BA: “Passengers will only be permitted to use the bathrooms in the cabin they have booked.”
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Providing the source of those policies (website, tweet, screenshot of email) would be useful should one wish to quote the policy in future in communication to the airline.

Not that this is an issue I lose sleep over...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Providing the source of those policies (website, tweet, screenshot of email) would be useful should one wish to quote the policy in future in communication to the airline.

Not that this is an issue I lose sleep over...
Sent messages to the airlines through twitter asking their policies, these are their replies. Certainly not worth losing sleep over, but the other thread got QUITE heated.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

LH: "Lufthansa passengers are asked to use the [lavs] corresponding to their compartments."
I can respectfully say from personal experience that this is far from happening onboard short haul. Perhaps a clever deliberate corporate use of the word "compartment" (only a curtain for a320s).

Appreciate the initiative from OP. Great idea!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I do not really care what the airline says or what other passengers think...If I need to use the first class lav I will continue to do so.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
LX: "No, [Y pax using F lavs], is not allowed in general on Swiss operated flights. Except if the crew allows it in special situations."
This strikes me as a very different comparison than anything else on that list, which tends to be between Y and the next-highest cabin.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotelboy
I do not really care what the airline says or what other passengers think...If I need to use the first class lav I will continue to do so.
if the stated airline policy is that you can’t what makes you think you’re entitled to anyway
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
This strikes me as a very different comparison than anything else on that list, which tends to be between Y and the next-highest cabin.
that’s what I meant, F/J. The actual text in response to my Q "can Y pax use F/J lavs?" was “no, this is not allowed...” I was just clarifying what “this” meant and added that bit in brackets. Their policy is that Y pax use Y lavs.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Apr 18, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I can respectfully say from personal experience that this is far from happening onboard short haul. Perhaps a clever deliberate corporate use of the word "compartment" (only a curtain for a320s).
Note though that the response from LH was "customers are asked to" not "required to" or any other wording that made it compulsory.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
note though that the response from lh was "customers are asked to" not "required to" or any other wording that made it compulsory.
double post
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Note though that the response from LH was "customers are asked to" not "required to" or any other wording that made it compulsory.
Not sure I agree with your reading here. Synonyms for "ask" include "demand" "urge" "implore" etc...at the very least they are BEGGING Y pax to show proper decorum and use their designated lav to spare LH the unpleasantness of having to remind them to be courteous.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Apr 18, 2019 at 10:09 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Closing thread pending Moderator Review
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.