Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Business Travel - What did you do when travel was reduced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Travel - What did you do when travel was reduced?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Question Business Travel - What did you do when travel was reduced?

Have you gone through a "reduced travel" phase in your career? What did you do?

Last week I just celebrated a decade of work with my current employer where I have worked in multiple positions from infrastructure engineer to trainer (mostly IT, service, and consulting roles). My previous job was 5 years as an electrical engineer (desk jockey) at a factory I hated and had no travel. I joined the current company because it required 75% travel. To some this may be a detriment, but to me it was a benefit of employment. My current profession has allowed me to see a good chunk of the world. I love to travel! I had some amazing years where I was able to spend time on three separate continents. Over the last year, I have noticed a steady trend where my work travel has been gradually replaced by “Online” work. Upon bringing it up with my manager, the response was "the customers want online".

After a few instances of waking up at 1am every day for a week to do work online in Switzerland(for example) or working 3pm to midnight to help someone in Sydney (another example) I am finding myself really unhappy with work I normally love. I am convinced that 7-12 hours of flying and a few days of jet lag are easier or at least a lesser of two evils. This is especially true to me when I am willing to spend a month or more away from home. Moreover, I find I thrive on in-person interaction whereas I am finding that speaking to a camera and microphone is demotivating and killing my engagement at work.

Solutions I've been considering-
Just accept it "the sun will rise tomorrow" - my pay is good, I love my vacation days, I like my coworkers...perhaps I am basing my self-worth on my ability to travel (you are not your job, you are not your pay, you are not your $^%&ing kakis)
Start my own business doing the parts of my current job I like - I wonder if I can partner with my manager/company or will I become competition
Turn on the LinkedIn "open to recruiters" option - I wonder if someone else wants my skill set and willingness to travel
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I’ve found it goes in cycles. You like the travel and feel more productive while the client sees the expense of travel and has trouble justifying it in the world of global teams and online collaboration tools. Eventually the client realizes that F2F has value and the pendulum swings back.

First, you’ve made your preference known to your manager. Great approach so s/he can advocate for you to get traveling assignments while others who prefer remote work can take in those engagements.

Is a co-working space a few days a week an option? Can you enrich your life by taking advantage of this period with more work from home? Perhaps joining a local social group, doing a home remodel, or catching up on things you never get to do because of your travel schedule?

Since the lack of travel is client driven, starting your own firm or getting a new job may not solve the problem unless we are talking a major shift in client demographics.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I empathize, cytog64. I've been in technical sales for 15 years, and my travel has gone from 25%, to 50%, to 70%, and then back down to currently about 10%. The years when I was traveling 50 ~ 70% were tough but also invigorating. Getting physically in front of clients & their challenges made me feel so much more engaged.

Shifts in technology and corporate culture ("Let's just do a web meeting") have been part of the reason my travel has ramped down from 70% to 10% but they are not the full story. Part of it also is that my position has evolved to one where less travel is needed. Other people in my company are still traveling frequently! So just like I have spoken to my bosses about changing my role to one that entails more travel, you should try the same with yours. Call that "Plan A" if you're serious about wanting to get back to traveling more.

"Plan B" could be starting your own venture that partners with your current employer. I have seen that work for some of my colleagues, BTW. But setting that up so that it's complementary rather than competitive is a whole 'nother can of worms.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Can you reach more of a compromise with your employer? Do more online, but limit your availability to something more reasonable/manageable? TBH, I think taking calls at 1 am is unacceptable. My company has global clients too, but I require calls and online meetings to be at reasonable hours (generally after 7 am and before 9 pm for me). And then you'll have more time for leisure excursions if you aren't traveling for work so much. On the bright side, if you can do your work online, it means you can do it from wherever you want.
darthbimmer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.