'Tail In' Aircraft Parking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others

This is not strictly BA, but I refer to the knowledge in this forum being of a higher calibre than that of any other forums on here, so I hope the answer prevails before the post is removed.

Amsterdam Schippol, H Terminal. Until now, as far as I know, aircraft have always parked the standard “nose in” orientation.

Todays Easyjet’s have all parked “tail in”, using tugs to reverse park them before deplaning. It’s a conscious thing, clearly being trialled.

Can anyone offer any logic on this!? I’ve been trying to see the benefit, but there is plenty of space etc - so are Easyjet trying to find a faster way to get aircraft departing?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Is it particularly windy? If so, are they parked into wind?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:54 pm

Possibly wind. Ground handling can be awkward in high winds. There were a few hours of high winds forecast and that might be it, but it’s just a guess
Sully the Scarer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Possibly wind. Ground handling can be awkward in high winds. There were a few hours of high winds forecast and that might be it, but it’s just a guess
Only time I've seen similar was at BHD on a high wind day.

Regulars will know that usual configuration is nose perpendicular to terminal except for stands 4-6 for larger aircraft with a 45 degree to terminal (nose in) configuration. On a very gusty May day a few years ago I was greeted with a WW plane parked 45 degrees nose out and a correspondingly long walk across the tarmac in high winds to the forward door, worse once boarding slowed midway as is usual. Ground staff explained that the reason was that the aircraft was parked with nose into the wind in case the wind caught the wings and blew it over! They then wished me luck with the blustery ascent.
Sully the Scarer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Indeed - it’s Windy in Amsterdam so that’s a very plausible reason...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:07 am

Similar experience a couple of times at NCL in stormy weather, with the BA service parking at 90 degrees to their usual domestic gate so that they're nose into the wind.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
the knowledge in this forum being of a higher calibre than that of any other forums on here
hmm...

Originally Posted by bd95

Regulars will know that usual configuration is nose perpendicular to terminal
Whether tail-in or nose-in the nose is perpendicular in either case
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Please continue to follow this thread in the TravelBuzz forum.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
so are Easyjet trying to find a faster way to get aircraft departing?
I'd be very surprised if those aircraft were pulling off the stand under their own power given the parked equipment and the pier's glass facade [which may have been designed for jetwash, but probably isn't something Schiphol want to test]. Thus the need for tugs to both arrive and depart is highly unlikely to be an attempt at increasing efficiency...
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by jk156
Similar experience a couple of times at NCL in stormy weather, with the BA service parking at 90 degrees to their usual domestic gate so that they're nose into the wind.
NCL is the only place I've ever seen this done.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA
London City

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5040.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If passengers are being deplaned through stairs in the tail cone, it could make sense to park tail in so that customers' walk on the tarmac is minimized.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Or perhaps they'll use the rear doors. That will upset people who paid extra to sit near the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.