Where are YOU going in 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are YOU going in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Great location, nice rooms and super helpful and nice staff. For restaurants, Smak is supposedly amazing (fully booked while we were there sadly). Emma's Drommekjokken was pretty good for traditional food.

How many days do you suggest there? It's going to be completely dark so we don't want to run out of things to do. Did you see the aurora every night?

And to keep the thread on topic as well..

Just booked a trip up to Pittsburgh. Haven't been there in a few years. Also decided to throw a stopover in Copenhagen into the trip that includes Tromso. I've been many times, just had a couple of favorite spots I wanted to drop in on while I'm in the area.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by MissJ
How many days do you suggest there? It's going to be completely dark so we don't want to run out of things to do. Did you see the aurora every night?

And to keep the thread on topic as well..

Just booked a trip up to Pittsburgh. Haven't been there in a few years. Also decided to throw a stopover in Copenhagen into the trip that includes Tromso. I've been many times, just had a couple of favorite spots I wanted to drop in on while I'm in the area.
I think it was three night (might have been two?). We spent two full evenings chasing the lights. On the first we saw very little with the naked eye, but it was visible clearly in photos (who cares!). The second night we got a solid 15-20 minutes of good lights with the naked eye. I would still like to go back to somewhere even more remote like Lapland and spend ~2 more nights trying to see it more vividly with the naked eye. Tromso is a great town. There are a decent amount of things to do, but it's pleasant just to walk around, have some good meals and drinks at the world's northernmost brewery as well.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by etch5895
Been: Harbin for the Snow and Ice festival, Hong Kong
Going: Uzbekistan/Kazakhstan, Bali, Brunei, Washington DC (work), Medellin, Fiji/New Caledonia, Denver/San Antonio/El Paso/ORD or MCI
Planning: Kathmandu, either Da Nang or Phuket, Jeju and/or Yeosu, maybe Qingdao for the beer festival
Completed already: Started the year in Koh Samui, continued to Bangkok, Johannesburg, Accra, Sao Tome, Cape Town, Walvis Bay, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Windhoek, New York, Palm Beach, Montreal, New Orleans. Currently back in NY.

Upcoming BOOKED travel: San Francisco, Palm Beach x2, Stockholm, Budapest, Rome, Naples, Positano, Santa Maria di Castellebate, Acciarolli, Rome (again), Algiers, Madrid, Los Angeles, Madrid (again), Moscow, Helsinki, New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Paris, St. Tropez, Nice, London, Moscow (again), Thessaloniki, Crete, Ios, Santorini, Paros, Naxos, Koufanisia, back to NY, Tulum, Hong Kong, Helsinki (again), Munich, Kuwait City, Bahrain, Baku, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, back to NY, Chicago, Columbus (Ohio), Bombay, Varkala, Kovalam, London (again), Paris (again), Helsinki (again), back to NY.

LIKELY to be booked: Trying to book an AY YYZ-HEL-SIN, HKG-HEL-YYZ which will need to be bookended by NYC-YYZ-NYC flights to fill in some gaps. That will get me to Paris via Helsinki in June, and the HEL-SIN portion will connect with the already booked CX award SIN-HKG that connects to an already booked AA ticket HKG to MEX via DFW. Have to book a return to NYC from MEX in June, a return from Greece to Paris in Aug. The back end of that AY ticket would bring me HKG-HEL in Sept. and a connection to Munich will need to be booked as well to get to a wedding/Oktoberfest and then pick up the Middle East portion, then the final HEL-JFK segment of the AY ticket will bring me home from Paris after India in early Dec. Also looking to book a OW RTW departing Dec. 26th that would get me to Vietnam for New Years before continuing on elsewhere.
Nice! So much traveling! You guys near/in retirement (no age discriminiation intended) or just able to fit lot of travel in with work schedule?

I'd love to travel more but work is quite busy and not able to take much time off.

Currently planned trip: April to Vietnam for 1 week to attend wedding. Then possibly China to visit my family/hometown later this year.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Nice! So much traveling! You guys near/in retirement (no age discriminiation intended) or just able to fit lot of travel in with work schedule?

I'd love to travel more but work is quite busy and not able to take much time off.

Currently planned trip: April to Vietnam for 1 week to attend wedding. Then possibly China to visit my family/hometown later this year.
I'm in my 30's, VERY flexible. Doubt I'd tolerate that much flying at retirement age, even in F/J haha. Where in Vietnam are you headed?
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:49 pm

I'm in my 30's, VERY flexible. Doubt I'd tolerate that much flying at retirement age, even in F/J haha. Where in Vietnam are you headed?
Awesome. I'm in my 30s as well. Definitely want to travel when you can and able to!

Will be mostly in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) 4/19 to 4/28. The wedding couple is hosting a 3 day tour to go up to Da Nang in the middle of the week. Then we'll spend Fri night at Ho Chi Minh City and then probably fly back out of SGN to TPE (maybe MEL?), do a 22hr layover see Taipei for a day/night then back to HNL sunday.

I just signed up for IHG and Hyatt cards, Likely I'll use some pts to book nights at the InterContinental Saigon for the first 4 nights, then last night stay at Park Hyatt Saigon. 3 days in mid week will be in Da Nang with their booked tour company I would imagine

Any tips for HCMC/Vietnam/Da Nang appreciated!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Will be mostly in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) 4/19 to 4/28. The wedding couple is hosting a 3 day tour to go up to Da Nang in the middle of the week. Then we'll spend Fri night at Ho Chi Minh City and then probably fly back out of SGN to TPE (maybe MEL?), do a 22hr layover see Taipei for a day/night then back to HNL sunday.

I just signed up for IHG and Hyatt cards, Likely I'll use some pts to book nights at the InterContinental Saigon for the first 4 nights, then last night stay at Park Hyatt Saigon. 3 days in mid week will be in Da Nang with their booked tour company I would imagine
PH Saigon is great, was there 10 years ago, hope it's still up to par! Enjoy the layover in TPE, very nice city with a great food scene, be sure to go up Taipei 101.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:54 pm

PH Saigon is great, was there 10 years ago, hope it's still up to par! Enjoy the layover in TPE, very nice city with a great food scene, be sure to go up Taipei 101.
yeah PH Saigon is supposed to have amazing breakfast so looking forward to that! Definitely will do lot of nice eating in TPE as well! Thanks for the Taipei 101 tip, will do!

I might also book a Hyatt property in Taipei as well. Grand Hyatt looks nice!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

yeah PH Saigon is supposed to have amazing breakfast so looking forward to that! Definitely will do lot of nice eating in TPE as well! Thanks for the Taipei 101 tip, will do!

I might also book a Hyatt property in Taipei as well. Grand Hyatt looks nice!
I stayed there over the summer. The location is very convenient for Taipei 101 and not bad overall, although many attractions and lots of restaurants will be west of you. Shouldn't take more than 10-15min max to get anywhere in a cab. The hotel is huge, pool, decent gym. Get one of the rooms that overlooks Taipei 101, it looks nice lit up at night.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
We are in our 30s, and take every opportuinity out of work to travel. Helps both myself and mrs have the same work schedule.
I started working full time 4 years ago, so it significantly cut down on my travels (down to 12-15 weeks a year)
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
We are in our 30s, and take every opportuinity out of work to travel. Helps both myself and mrs have the same work schedule.
I started working full time 4 years ago, so it significantly cut down on my travels (down to 12-15 weeks a year)
Cool!

Funny to read that your significantly cut traveling is now at 12-15 weeks a year! I'm jealous!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold

No, just have a flexible job, and being in an overseas assignment helps at least with Asia travel and doing trips over long weekends. Near retirement? Kinda sorta. Could retire on a lower budget but for now work helps fund the more expensive travel.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:27 pm

I think it was three night (might have been two?). We spent two full evenings chasing the lights. On the first we saw very little with the naked eye, but it was visible clearly in photos (who cares!). The second night we got a solid 15-20 minutes of good lights with the naked eye. I would still like to go back to somewhere even more remote like Lapland and spend ~2 more nights trying to see it more vividly with the naked eye. Tromso is a great town. There are a decent amount of things to do, but it's pleasant just to walk around, have some good meals and drinks at the world's northernmost brewery as well.

Nice. thanks! We are doing three nights. We saw the lights some last year in Iceland and I thought it was pretty cool even at maybe a 3 out of 10 in terms of intensity. Hoping for more this trip.

Last edited by MissJ; Mar 1, 2019 at 5:54 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Here's mine thus far, keeping personal travel down this year since I'm in the process of buying a boat.

January: St John, USVI and several trips to San Jose
February:Bangalore, India and Tulsa
May: Bangalore, India. Chicago for the weekend
June/July: 2 weeks in Maine
Sep: Vegas weekend (bro's BD)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
Nice. thanks! We are doing three nights. We saw the lights some last year in Iceland and I thought it was pretty cool even at maybe a 3 out of 10 in terms of intensity. Hoping for more this trip.
good luck!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's going to be a year of international travel for me. So far I've done:

- January: Mexico City, Lugano and Milan
- March: Oslo and Bergen

Upcoming, Booked:
- April: Montreal and Toronto. Tokyo, Sapporo, Osaka and Kyoto
- June: London
- July: Berlin and Malmo
- November: Stockholm and Tallinn. Madrid, Porto and Seville.

Upcoming, Planned:
- October: Shanghai
- December: Bangkok, Phuket and Kuala Lampur

I'm also trying to finish the remaining state capitols I haven't seen.
- Visited: Des Moines
- Upcoming, Booked: Concord, Tallahassee, Augusta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.