Community
Wiki Posts
Search

kicked off a flight for no reason?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

kicked off a flight for no reason?

There are numerous stories of people getting kicked off of planes for no valid reason.
This is may be the most convincing one found on YouTube. I know there were 2 sides to every story and when not hearing the one from the airlines, I don't know, but it seems like this guy's neighboring passengers are all supporting him. You combine this with reports of FA's losing it during a flight and I wonder what is the chance that a decent person will be kicked off a flight for some sort of a innocent misunderstanding or miscommunication.
Why didn't the agent's involved listen to this guy's neighboring passengers? Guess they see this as a point of no return
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US regulations allow it, not sure re elsewhere
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Who cares? No one knows what happened before the camera started recording.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It happens sometimes - reasons include power-tripping FAs, lack of onboard FA supervisors (on U.S. airlines), FAs not properly trained in conflict resolution and other public-interaction skills, the terrorism bogeyman, overuse of "safety" as a vague but easy excuse. Captains will usually side with the flight crew because it's in their personal best interest to do so. Though the Captain's authority to refuse to transport is supposed to be bound by certain legal parameters, but it's easy enough to cite safety based on the thinnest of FA complaints - and there seems to be little to no review of such decisions by airline management.

See for example

https://papersplease.org/wp/2012/08/...t-let-you-fly/

https://papersplease.org/wp/2012/08/...o-let-you-fly/
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in OMNI
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would like to see what happened prior to the recording.

I would also make a complaint directly to the Captain saying the FA is not stable for some unknown reason and not safe to carry out their duties in my opinion.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

I agree, and like I initially said, there could be 2 sides to such stories but what impressed me in this video is that the neighboring passengers, who obviously saw what happened, aggressively came to his side, to the point, that they seem to walk off the plane.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mapleg
Was about to say the same thing. Something obviously happened for a person to start filming
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by ente_09
I agree, and like I initially said, there could be 2 sides to such stories but what impressed me in this video is that the neighboring passengers, who obviously saw what happened, aggressively came to his side, to the point, that they seem to walk off the plane.
At the beginning of the video, you can hear the person filming say something like "She/He is probably the most responsible person in our group" (bolding mine). Thus it appears possibly that the person being kicked off and the "neighboring passengers" all know each other and are traveling together, they're not just a collection of random strangers leaping to this guy's defense.

That said, it does seem a bit bizarre, but again, we don't know what happened before the video recording started.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Listen closely to the video. These are not random strangers but friends traveling as a group. Toward the end one refers to the guy as "my friend." It was also one of the "friends" who did the taping, was the biggest loudmouth and posted the video. We are only getting one side of the events.

Whether the decision was fair or not, once the decision is made there's no going back no matter what anyone else in the cabin says.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
THIS +1
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The decision to remove a passenger is made by the Captain (or perhaps by law enforcement should they make a physical arrest). Forget all the silliness of edited YouTube videos, rants about power-tripping FA's and the like.

People who can't behave are disruptive and ought to be removed and then banned from further travel.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

OK

My real reason for posting was the concern that one of these out of control FA's (what about the FA that grabbed a beer and slid down the escape chute) you see on TV or internet will inappropriately throw a passenger off for no valid reason. That sounds like an awful lot of unchecked power.
Are you saying that the pilot is always involved in such decisions, and does he have to come out and investigate himself?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would also make a complaint directly to the Captain saying the FA is not stable for some unknown reason and not safe to carry out their duties in my opinion.
Think through this scenario a bit.

Hypothetically, the captain agrees that the FA is not (mentally) stable. That means this person must be removed from the plane. Now the crew no longer meets the FAA requirements, because virtually all flights these days are only staffed to the absolute minimum.

Now, nobody is going anywhere until a replacement FA is found and the captain's schedule is shot to hell.

Does that seem like a good outcome to folks?

Does it seem likely the captain will do this because a passenger is upset at being removed from the flight?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ente_09
My real reason for posting was the concern that one of these out of control FA's (what about the FA that grabbed a beer and slid down the escape chute)
You mean the thing that happened over 8 years ago?!?
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.