Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Women-only plane sections

Taking it a step too far?

Journalist claims 'women-only' plane sections could combat midair assault

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/journ...id-air-assault

Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Only if I can have one that's Men-only. Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Its sad that she thinks that men shouldn't be forced to control themselves and that women have to be segregated from them.

Maybe she should hold men accountable.

But it really sounds like she just wants the armrest
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Not unprecedented. I've seen public transit that separate women and children. In the Mexico city metro for example I believe the first two cars are "solo mujeres y ninos" due to women getting groped on crowded subways.

Not sure how to make it work on airplanes. Will the women only section be in front or back? Will it apply to all classes of service or just economy? Will they get priority boarding or board last?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:41 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
...because there were 63 reports of in-flight assault out of something like 850 million passengers in 2017?
ajGoes, Gullywhumper and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:52 am

I bet she thinks that section should be at the front, too - imagine the outrage if women had to sit at 'the back of the bus'!

Anecdotally, after averaging over 150 flights/year for the last 3+ years, and adjusting for the percentage of times that I have sat next to a woman vs a man,I would estimate that when a large person has spread into my space, the sex of that person hasn't mattered to me at all - nearly 100% of the time.
ajGoes and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I think that if in every case the airline and authorities would bring charges and prosecute, it would do more to discourage such actions than segregating pax by gender. Too often, the guilty party simply goes on his way. He might be moved to another seat but nothing really happens to him.

Several Asian countries have female only train cars. It seems to work ok for rail because there are already multiple, separate cars but still there are complaints about empty seats in the special cars when the other cars are crammed. I don't see how it could work on a plane, which already has different classes of service. Would you need separate rows in all classes?
Redhead and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TBD
...because there were 63 reports of in-flight assault out of something like 850 million passengers in 2017?
I think that the idea of creating a women's section on planes is a ridiculously bad idea. But I would not be surprised if in-flight sexual assault is way more likely to be under-reported than something like a home burglary in the same given jurisdiction as for a flight.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Not unprecedented. I've seen public transit that separate women and children. In the Mexico city metro for example I believe the first two cars are "solo mujeres y ninos" due to women getting groped on crowded subways.

Not sure how to make it work on airplanes. Will the women only section be in front or back? Will it apply to all classes of service or just economy? Will they get priority boarding or board last?
Japan also has some women-only train/metro cards...I know I've heard of some other places, too, but can't think of them offhand. Seems like it would be harder to work out on a plane, what with IRROPS, need for seat swaps for various reasons, etc. Airlines would have planes go out with empty seats that might not have, had there not been segregated sections.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I think that the idea of creating a women's section on planes is a ridiculously bad idea. But I would not be surprised if in-flight sexual assault is way more likely to be under-reported than something like a home burglary in the same given jurisdiction as for a flight.
I'd think the same thing.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Japan also has some women-only train/metro cards...I know I've heard of some other places, too, but can't think of them offhand.
India too.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

id think it could easily happen on certain airlines, but not north american or european ones
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by milepig
if you can find a time machine to go back to 1966, you can fly EWR-ORD on UA

joejones, 84fiero and mmff like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Taking it a step too far?

Journalist claims 'women-only' plane sections could combat midair assault

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/journ...id-air-assault

I read the journalist's article, and she says nothing about assault or harassment. Her issue seems to be men claiming the armrest, and women consequently losing space.

If she had called for women-only sections in order to combat assault, like the Fox News article inaccurately states, then she might have had a valid point. But that's not what she said at all.

Here is the original article. https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-...armrest-gender
84fiero and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Do people disagree with the security check lines for women only in the middle east?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Or adults only or humans only for those who bring the non disability cats and dogs stuck whining in a shoebox sized cage for hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.