helicopter landing on runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

helicopter landing on runway

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So actually VTOL is more unsafe for a helicopter?
It's technically called the Helicopter-height velocity diagram. But yes, straight up and down is not as safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helico...locity_diagram
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Operatings in the vicinity of airports is governed by Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 91.126 through 91.131. These regulations covers all categories of aircraft as well as both towered and non-towered airports.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...se14.2.91_1126

Notice the differences were the regulation refers to "aircraft", "airplanes", and "helicopters". Both airplanes and helicopters are aircraft but a helicopter is not an airplane and vis versa.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
It's technically called the Helicopter-height velocity diagram. But yes, straight up and down is not as safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helico...locity_diagram
Wow, didn't know it was that dangerous.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Do helicopters normally need ATC permission to move around? I thought they just go. Because they fly where planes don't fly.
Depends on which airspace you're in. Helicopters certainly can't just fly into the restricted approach and landing patterns over an airport. And airplanes can freely fly around unrestricted space without ATC - typically radio/visual communication with other planes. Fly a bush plane in Alaska some time and you'll see.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There are a lot of different topics going on here.

No a helicopter can't just go anywhere it wants at the airport. There are 3 types of areas at an airport. Non-movement like parking areas, movement areas like taxiways, and runway areas. You can move around a non-movement area without talking to anyone, you talk to ground control in a movement area and tower for the runway area. As a helicopter you can take off from any of these areas with clearance. There are a lot of reasons to choose different ones. For all of the helicopter tours in Hawaii they just take off from parking pads and will fly whatever direction they are going. If you have a large helicopter and do that you will cause some serious damage to some light airplanes parked nearby. I would takeoff from a runway or taxiway if we were heavy or it was hot out as well because you need a running takeoff where you stay in ground effect longer. If you are light you can do a max performance takeoff and just go straight up with a slight forward movement.

When landing it is similar, I would never try and land directly to a pad with other light aircraft around me. Especially if the helicopter was heavy. You would pull a lot of power at the bottom and cause damage. In those cases at very busy airports I would try and land to a taxiway to leave the runway clear.

For flying in NYC, that is class B airspace that encompasses from the ground to 10k MSL. There is a SFRA (special flight restricted area) that encompasses the Hudson River and has multiple sets of rules, reporting points, there own radio frequencies.
84fiero and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Yes, I know. But why land at an airport, when as a helicopter you can land at many more places (that planes cannot)?
Airports have fuel and hangars. Of course, many helicopter operations have their own heliports with their own fuel, but when moving around from place to place you can't just land it at the local gas station and fill er up.

and as explained in a few other posts, VTOL ability is limited so most pilots will follow the flow of fixed wing traffic and take off into the wind, either over the runway or taxi way. It's also more courteous than passing low level directly overhead of adjacent buildings.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TuxTom
Airports have fuel and hangars. Of course, many helicopter operations have their own heliports with their own fuel, but when moving around from place to place you can't just land it at the local gas station and fill er up.

and as explained in a few other posts, VTOL ability is limited so most pilots will follow the flow of fixed wing traffic and take off into the wind, either over the runway or taxi way. It's also more courteous than passing low level directly overhead of adjacent buildings.
Does it depend on the city?
It looks like in NYC you can land basically anywhere:
Manhattan (NYC) Area Heliports & Helipads
And I presume they do more VTOL at these places? Just a skill level thing?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't land just anywhere around here (LA County) but there are at least 3 helipads within a few miles of my house.

The fire and rescue choppers around here do a lot of low altitude hovering.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:14 am

It varies on location but where I work we have a state police helicopter unit and two ANG helicopter units and unless they are shooting an instrument approach they generally do not land on runways. Even on an instrument approach it is rare for them to actually land on the runway and will instead break off the approach on short final. With a helicopters increased mobility it is usually easier to not mix them with fixed wing traffic.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
To be clear, I'm not a pilot myself, but I work in helicopters doing aerial surveys so that's where I can draw my experience from. There are local restrictions in many places, but for the most part a pilot can legally put it down where ever they need to. I would say the vertical space needed is as much skill as it is aircraft I haven't flown around NYC myself, but it seems those heliports in the link are all along the water? That would provide similar open space as a taxiway or runway for ascending and descending.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I ride helicopters quite a bit for work. Usually when we're on land we take off from an airport or atleast some sort of airstrip. Taking off from a small space like an offshore platform is a fascinating experience and not particularly enjoyable. Its not what I would expect, i.e. going straight up. Landing on a strip is similar feeling to landing on a normal plane.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by steveo
I ride helicopters quite a bit for work. Usually when we're on land we take off from an airport or atleast some sort of airstrip. Taking off from a small space like an offshore platform is a fascinating experience and not particularly enjoyable. Its not what I would expect, i.e. going straight up. Landing on a strip is similar feeling to landing on a normal plane.
Crop dusting was a family business, so I got to ride a lot. Never learned to fly. Wanted to but we had six when I was a kid and at least one every year went down. But then again it was how pilots got more experience out here in the sticks. But we landed just about anywhere but we were in the country, so we had a lot less regs I imagine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.