Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Female voice that announces time on the hour: same at all US airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Female voice that announces time on the hour: same at all US airports?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The recording in the soundtrack of Airplane begins with exactly what was repeated endlessly for decades from speakers near the arrivals lanes at LAX. It was maddening.

Wait-- you mean that exact quote used to be announced at LAX??

I thought Airplane! used it to be something similar to actual announcements, didn't realize it was based on reality! (Apparently that movie is more of a documentary than I realized. )
ajGoes and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Maybe I'm alone, but I find those announcements incredibly irritating. They are a classic form of officialese - stilted, portentous and almost always totally irrelevant, interrupting whatever you are doing and generally adding to the stress of the situation. Nice lady, but please no more announcements.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gabrca
The first announcement they play in the video is the exact same voice that's used at SAN. The "in accordance with TSA regulations" bit is permanently burned into my brain, I think.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:47 am

Sorry guys I think it's a robot.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:16 pm

"Airplane" used the exact same announcers as the real LAX announcers at the time.

/It's perfectly theraputic
KRSW, 84fiero and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:20 am

I've heard them...but worse are the ones in ATL, where the pre-recorded announcement tells you that Atlanta is in the Eastern time zone, THEN directs you to check one of the monitors to get the current time.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Maybe I'm alone, but I find those announcements incredibly irritating. They are a classic form of officialese - stilted, portentous and almost always totally irrelevant, interrupting whatever you are doing and generally adding to the stress of the situation. Nice lady, but please no more announcements.
I'm with you 100%. NONE of the pre-recorded announcements are ever relevant, nor welcome. I don't have a copy of TSA regs for airports, but is it a requirement that airports must use pre-recorded announcements?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
I've heard them...but worse are the ones in ATL, where the pre-recorded announcement tells you that Atlanta is in the Eastern time zone, THEN directs you to check one of the monitors to get the current time.

I'm with you 100%. NONE of the pre-recorded announcements are ever relevant, nor welcome. I don't have a copy of TSA regs for airports, but is it a requirement that airports must use pre-recorded announcements?
The TSA doesn't run/manage/regulate airports. So I don't see how they could mandate general announcements.

I am definitely not the expert on all things related to sound, but I have heard the Eastern Time Zone announcement a million times at DTW, but I don't recall ever hearing it at ATL. Now, I have heard the "I'm the mayor of Atlanta Keisha Bottoms (and Kasim Reed before her)" ad nauseum....

I will be there in the morning though - I'll keep an ear out for it.

ETA: I spent 2.5 hours there this morning - at the Delta checkin area at the South Terminal, south PreCheck, the walking tunnels all the way from Concourse T to Concourse F, in the main atrium of F and the F Skyclub, and never observed any overhead announcement related to time zone.

Last edited by Qwkynuf; Dec 14, 2018 at 11:37 am Reason: Update
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Is she my beloved, endearing, tender, caring sweetheart who lovingly reminds me that Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern Time Zone?
Why did I think that was a male voice doing the English version, and a female voice doing the Japanese one?

Since DTW is no longer my home, I am not there that much. But I was just there for Thanksgiving...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by james318
Why did I think that was a male voice doing the English version, and a female voice doing the Japanese one?

Since DTW is no longer my home, I am not there that much. But I was just there for Thanksgiving...
You're correct. I flew threw a couple weeks ago and noticed it was a guy. I could have sworn it used to be a woman.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
You're correct. I flew threw a couple weeks ago and noticed it was a guy. I could have sworn it used to be a woman.
It used to be at least. I was there last week and I don't recall it being changed to a man but it does kinda fade into the background at this point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.