Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does anyone currently hold 4+ citizenships?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I'm new on here so I'm not sure if I'm starting this thread in the correct forum but; I was wondering if anyone on here happened to be the citizen of four or more countries. If so, of which countries and how were they obtained? I for some reason have recently grown rather curious about the subject of multiple citizenship and while I suppose holding three citizenships concurrently is still fairly rare I was wondering how common it is for it to go above that.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:06 pm
Suspended

I have Singaporean (by birth), German (parent), Canadian (school and work) and US (marriage) citizenships
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's supposedly possible to "buy" citizenships in some countries. I once saw a list of places where this was easy/relatively cheap. Other countries offer citizenship if you're willing to invest some amount (or otherwise create jobs) in a new business there, IIRC including Canada.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have 6. I claimed all that I am entitled to.
Some believe in having a plan B. I have plan F.

As to which one and how they were obtained:
"I can tell you, but, I am going have to kill you."
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I don't have that many, but I have two (Swiss and Canadian) from birth, and will have another one from emigrating to the UK in a couple of years if all goes well.

At my age, there's still room to get a couple from marriage and couple more from emigrating again...
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

and here I was about to ask which ones ��
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomvoldemort
I have Singaporean (by birth), German (parent), Canadian (school and work) and US (marriage) citizenships
that's sounds like a very useful combination! do you find it difficult to maintain singaporean citizenship considering their policy on dual nationality?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:26 am

You have very valuable citizenships! All four of those are among the world's most powerful passports.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have 6. I claimed all that I am entitled to.
Some believe in having a plan B. I have plan F.

As to which one and how they were obtained:
"I can tell you, but, I am going have to kill you."
Hopefully none of them reinstate conscription !
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have a friend whose kids (could) have 5.

Mother from S. Africa, but Jewish and naturalized American (South Africa, Israel), father from U.S., but born in France (France, U.S.) and the twins were actually born in Canada.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hopefully none of them reinstate conscription !
Tax liability is a bigger concern for choosing passports and residency.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:32 pm

Taxes are only an issue for US and Estonian citizens. Everyone else goes by residency.
ilcannone likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's supposedly possible to "buy" citizenships in some countries. I once saw a list of places where this was easy/relatively cheap. Other countries offer citizenship if you're willing to invest some amount (or otherwise create jobs) in a new business there, IIRC including Canada.
It really is possible to buy citizenship from some countries and to get such status with little to no physical presence required by the applicant for citizenship by investment type programs.

A lot more countries have residency by investment type programs than citizenship by investment type programs. Canada doesn't offer citizenship by investment, but it offers residency by investment that puts the person on a path for applying for citizenship -- much like we have a residency by investment type program in the US too.

I know some people who hold 4+ citizenships, but unsurprisingly I know a lot more people who hold two or three citizenship than four or more. Most of those holding 2-4+ citizenships are products of circumstances of birth and or moving/marriage.

Most people who take up the citizenship by investment path seem to only buy one citizenship by way of CIPs.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I've only got 2 myself, but I knew a guy who had Latvian, Russian, Israeli and British, not sure how he got each one mind you. The husband of a friend of mine has Belarusian, (birth), Russian (no idea how), Brazilian (marriage) and US (naturalisation).
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
In your place, I would be very careful making any such statement in public (including writing anything over internet), especially when you are in Singapore. Singapore, if you probably are not aware, does not allow additional citizenship for people who got them after age of 21. There is more than enough information available about this - just google.

And yes, when it is time to have your Singapore citizenship renewed, you should do it inside Singapore and not at overseas missions, otherwise you will have to answer a question how you can stay that long in a foreign country without having valid visa in your Singapore passport. But even if you come to Singapore to renew your passport at ICA you have to answer a question in the application form if you have other citizenship(s).

And oh yes, if you are male and have not done NS, you'd better do not come to Singapore at all, because you are guaranteed to put in jail. There were multiple high publicity NS defaulter cases in recent years the most recent one is with the author of Crazy Rich Asians.

Originally Posted by Europa
that's sounds like a very useful combination! do you find it difficult to maintain singaporean citizenship considering their policy on dual nationality?
Above. If you are quiet and have stuff well-planed with reasonable explanations, it is possible to have Singaporean citizenship in addition. But I doubt that it will last for forever. With Big Data and IDA plans, one day one can get really nasty surprise...

Last edited by invisible; Oct 27, 2018 at 8:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.