Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Polar Express 2018 over both poles : canceled ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Two months ago CNN mentioned this upcoming event:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...-50/index.html

Upcoming flight

Now, 41 years after the last such flight, a sub-50-hour aviation adventure is being planned to take air travelers over both poles. The Polar Express is scheduled to take off this coming October 26 from New York's JFK International Airport with about 150 passengers.
The route will take them from JFK to Río Gallegos airport in southern Argentina. Taking off from there, the Polar Express will fly over the South Pole and continue all the way to Perth, Australia. Next, it's on to Beijing. And the final leg of the trip takes the plane over the North Pole and back to JFK.
The jet for this upcoming trip will be an Airbus A340-300 -- a large, wide-body, long-range airliner with four trusty engines. Coach tickets start at $11,900. Amenities include specially created cocktails, informative lectures, inflight yoga classes, and an Antarctica expert who will explain what passengers see out the windows.
Baum will join this polar party as its historian, documenting it to create the final chapter of his book "Over Both Poles: Epic Flights Around the World," which is due early next year.
Clearly, the glory days of record-setting global air travel have not completely passed. For those who can muster the time and money, there are still rare experiences to be found out there.
The website https://www.overthepoles2018.com redrects to a nonexistent WIX.com page, presumably it is removed.
Is this event canceled ? Lack of interest for the $11900 tickets ?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Two months ago CNN mentioned this upcoming event:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...-50/index.html

The website https://www.overthepoles2018.com redrects to a nonexistent WIX.com page, presumably it is removed.
Is this event canceled ? Lack of interest for the $11900 tickets ?
This is the first I had heard of this event, but in-flight yoga classes?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Wayback machine has the original at https://web.archive.org/web/20180512...poles2018.com/

I could only get it to render with IE.

WM has records of the site starting in mid-May and the content disappeared in early August.

A website for a $12K specialty flight only appearing 5 months before the supposed flight date tells me this was never likely to happen, if it even was real.

Last edited by CPRich; Oct 28, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
https://www.facebook.com/Flight50/

Friday, October 26 was scheduled to be the departure date for the "Polar Explorer" flight around the world over both the Earth's poles—a journey I was invited to document for the final chapter of my book.

Unfortunately, the possibility for the successful completion of the first trans-polar passenger flight in 41 years ended under circumstances that have yet to be fully explained. Hopefully, this incident will not deter future attempts to circle the poles for a new generation of aviation enthusiasts.

Even though Over Both Poles was put on hold awaiting the completion of the Polar Explorer flight, I have used this time to locate additional photographs and documents that will add significantly to the story of these epic events.

I have also commissioned renowned aviation artist J.P. Santiago to complete a set of renderings for the aircraft that are covered in the book. Each aircraft will be portrayed in the markings as carried at the departure of the flight. I look forward to sharing J.P.'s outstanding works with you.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Frankly, this sounds awful. $12k to fly Y in an A340 for a couple days? Nope.

I might pay good money to go to Antarctica. Someday, I probably will do that. But to fly over it and catch a little glimpse out the window from 30,000 feet? Why?

Flying over the Arctic is something you can do on all sorts of regularly-scheduled routes, and there's really nothing there. That part is pretty uninteresting. I'd rather spend money going to a village above the Arctic circle.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped

I might pay good money to go to Antarctica. Someday, I probably will do that. But to fly over it and catch a little glimpse out the window from 30,000 feet? Why?

Flying over the Arctic is something you can do on all sorts of regularly-scheduled routes, and there's really nothing there. That part is pretty uninteresting. I'd rather spend money going to a village above the Arctic circle.
But there are a few regular commercial flights touching the continent of Antarctica, e.g. QF63/64 SYD-JNB vv and LA800/01 SYD-AKL-SCL vv.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped

Isn't Santa's workshop there at the North Pole?

It does sound like a dreadful trip. And for that price, I'd invest in a trip to Antarctica, which I also hope to do one day.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Isn't Santa's workshop there at the North Pole?
I'd take that train to Santa's workshop but damn it looks really dangerous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.