Wiki Posts
Search

Abort last leg of RT itinirary vs muti-city flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Alaska, Skymiles
Abort last leg of RT itinirary vs muti-city flight

This question is about leisure travel planning, Panama city is the city of origin of our flight, and booking business flight for two destinations: Taipei and LAX, in that order. We are US citizens, so there is no visa issue at any US ports of entry.
1. I find that booking a multi-city business class flight of PTY->TPE->LAX is higher than buying a RT PTY<->TPE plus a one-way PTY->LAX. The difference can be around $1K per head.
2. Since each way of a PTY<>TPE RT flight involves two different carriers, e.g. Avianca and a trans-pacific carrier, the latter typically flies LAX as a hub for international transit.
3. I understand that an International flight that uses a US hub of international transit requires going thru immigration and physically taking checked luggage thru custom check, re-checking the luggage in LAX for the PTY destination.

What if We just abort the LAX->PTY leg of the return flight, walk with our luggage out of LAX like the rest of the transpacific flight passengers with LAX as final destination, and save us from buying another flight after arriving PTY to go back to LAX?I gather if I cancel my booking reservation before I board in TPE, our TPE->LAX flight boarding will be denied.
Whether I cancel reservation or abandon my LAX->PTY boarding pass after I arrive at LAX seems practical, as my final destination is LAX.

Does anyone see this plan not working or know similar things are being done?

Last edited by phvt32; Sep 25, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:39 am

I have a similar question. Want to leave my flight from AMS in my home DTW and not take the second to Cleveland. Cost of the flight from Amsterdam to DTW is 2300 one way. Same flight to Cleveland stopping in DTW is $658. Can they charge me afterwards for the fare to DTW that I would have paid for AMS to DTW if I abandon in DTW?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by phvt32

Does anyone see this plan not working or know similar things are being done?[/LEFT]
If your TPE-LAX leg is diverted, rescheduled, etc., you could have issues.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by phvt32
This question is about leisure travel planning, Panama city is the city of origin of our flight, and booking business flight for two destinations: Taipei and LAX, in that order. We are US citizens, so there is no visa issue at any US ports of entry.
1. I find that booking a multi-city business class flight of PTY->TPE->LAX is higher than buying a RT PTY<->TPE plus a one-way PTY->LAX. The difference can be around $1K per head.
2. Since each way of a PTY<>TPE RT flight involves two different carriers, e.g. Avianca and a trans-pacific carrier, the latter typically flies LAX as a hub for international transit.
3. I understand that an International flight that uses a US hub of international transit requires going thru immigration and physically taking checked luggage thru custom check, re-checking the luggage in LAX for the PTY destination.

What if We just abort the LAX->PTY leg of the return flight, walk with our luggage out of LAX like the rest of the transpacific flight passengers with LAX as final destination, and save us from buying another flight after arriving PTY to go back to LAX?I gather if I cancel my booking reservation before I board in TPE, our TPE->LAX flight boarding will be denied.
Whether I cancel reservation or abandon my LAX->PTY boarding pass after I arrive at LAX seems practical, as my final destination is LAX.

Does anyone see this plan not working or know similar things are being done?
So you basically want to fly PTY-LAX-TPE, TPE-LAX, but booking PTY-TPE round trip is cheaper, right? Yeah, your plan will work, you can just abandon the LAX-PTY leg. Don't call the airline or anything. Keep in mind, their obligation is to get you to PTY, not LAX. So if the TPE-LAX flight is canceled, the airline could reroute you something like TPE-SFO-PTY. You would have to pay for a last minute SFO-LAX flight. You still might save time and money in the long run though.

Originally Posted by Gfrk
I have a similar question. Want to leave my flight from AMS in my home DTW and not take the second to Cleveland. Cost of the flight from Amsterdam to DTW is 2300 one way. Same flight to Cleveland stopping in DTW is $658. Can they charge me afterwards for the fare to DTW that I would have paid for AMS to DTW if I abandon in DTW?
Yeah, you can do that. What I said above still stands, the airline's obligation is to get you to CLE, not DTW. If the AMS-DTW flight gets canceled, Delta is well within their rights to reroute you, say, AMS-JFK-CLE. But since a last minute fare from JFK-DTW isn't going to cost you $1,642, you'll still save money if that happens.

Will they charge you? No, not if you do it once. Don't make a habit of it though.

Last edited by t325; Sep 25, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Another caveat is if your luggage is misplaced/delayed, as you will have it checked through to PTY, without option to just walk away with it. Better check the price for cargo shipping x number of bags PTY-LAX for an adequate risk assessment.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by t325

Yeah, you can do that. What I said above still stands, the airline's obligation is to get you to CLE, not DTW. If the AMS-DTW flight gets canceled, Delta is well within their rights to reroute you, say, AMS-JFK-CLE. But since a last minute fare from JFK-DTW isn't going to cost you $1,642, you'll still save money if that happens.
This one is easier. If the cancellation/re-route happens before you actually leave Amsterdam, just decline it ("sorry, that won't work, my plans have changed", they can't force you to fly). If it gets cancelled after you take off, then it's a diversion/IRROPs and you can negotiate whatever you want. If the absolute worst happens and you have to go to Cleveland, you're only a few hours from home.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:14 pm

Can they charge me for the real cost of the fare from AMS to DTW if I don't get on the flight to CLE? Do I cancel when I get to DTW or just not show up?
Never done this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Gfrk
Can they charge me for the real cost of the fare from AMS to DTW if I don't get on the flight to CLE? Do I cancel when I get to DTW or just not show up?
Never done this.
No, they're not going to charge you the real cost of AMS to DTW. Don't cancel or tell any Delta employee you're not flying DTW-CLE. Just don't show up for the flight.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
If your TPE-LAX leg is diverted, rescheduled, etc., you could have issues.
This is why I always deliberately do an overnight (or could be 2 days, 3 days, etc) layover for this type of hidden-city ticketing (is that the term?).
That way, if they try to reroute you via different layover city to Panama, you can say that you have to go through LAX because you need to do something there.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your layover exceeds 24 hours, it becomes a stopover and the cheapest fares won't be applicable.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If your layover exceeds 24 hours, it becomes a stopover and the cheapest fares won't be applicable.
Well okay I should've said stopover instead, and that may very well be, but the pricing is case by case and it all depends on how different itineraries price out.

For the OP's case, I would only look for Panama<>TPE with overnight layover or stopover in LAX on return (provided it's cheaper than Panama-TPE-LAX), just because I'm personally risk-adverse. But others may disagree.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Also price a regular West Coast - Taipei R/T, as there are often competitive fares that might be attractive enough to you to justify an extra positioning flight. Especially since the TPAC is in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.