Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

TSA now just scans my driver's license but doesn't need boarding pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

At CLT today, I went through TSA Pre-check. The TSA agent just took my driver's license, scanned it and then asked me what flight was on. I told the agent my flight number, the agent seemed to look at a screen and then waved me through. The agent didn't ask for my boarding pass at all.

Is this soon to be a nationwide thing?

If so, how does it work? Does the airline transmit everyone's ID number and information to the TSA, along with the person's flight information, and so everything is in a TSA database? Kind of Big Government, unless it's the airlines that maintain the database.

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK there's no way an airline would know which ID you plan to show to TSA, namely passport, passport card, GE card, NEXIS card, military ID, federal government employee ID, driver's license, nondriver ID, etc. Also AFAIK airlines don't store your driver license numbers, etc. In fact, I don't think I've ever shown my (non-real ID) driver's license to either TSA or an airline employee.

Maybe real ID driver licenses are more linked to people than we realize.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:58 pm

Airlines are already transmitting passenger manifest data to the airlines. They've been doing that for a long, long time now. Your license or passport or whatever else data matches enough of the data columns (essentially name & DOB) that they can find you in the system. They don't need your ID number to make it work. The TSA checks that the ID is valid, as it always has, but doesn't need to check against the BP because the data from the manifest is already validated.

The big difference in this version is that the TSA has a valid database of passengers to check against rather than just guessing that the printout isn't faked.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why start a new thread?

This is being piloted at an increasing number of airports across the US and has been for 6+ months.

The system works with scannable DL's and a limited number of other scannable documents. For those lacking such a document, there will still be a means to have an Officer verify you with a BP and acceptable ID.

I have found it to be close to instant and when combined with Pre-Check makes the whole checkpoint experience significantly faster.

As more and more gates are equipped with facial recognition scanning, the long-term goal is to eliminate BP's entirely.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Under extensive discussion since May here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...ired-used.html
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
As more and more gates are equipped with facial recognition scanning, the long-term goal is to eliminate BP's entirely.
Yes, though CBP/TSA recently stated that they do not expect this to happen for domestic flights any time soon. They simply do not have a sufficiently large pool of photo/biometric data to make it work. For international travel it is relatively easy as the passport/visa collections are robust. Domestic doesn't have that.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK there's no way an airline would know which ID you plan to show to TSA, namely passport, passport card, GE card, NEXIS card, military ID, federal government employee ID, driver's license, nondriver ID, etc. Also AFAIK airlines don't store your driver license numbers, etc. In fact, I don't think I've ever shown my (non-real ID) driver's license to either TSA or an airline employee.

Maybe real ID driver licenses are more linked to people than we realize.
Wasn't that essentially the point of the DL provisions in Real ID? To essentially create a national database of DL information?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

Moderator, please feel free to merge this thread with the prior thread in post #5 . I didn't realize that another thread existed.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, though CBP/TSA recently stated that they do not expect this to happen for domestic flights any time soon. They simply do not have a sufficiently large pool of photo/biometric data to make it work. For international travel it is relatively easy as the passport/visa collections are robust. Domestic doesn't have that.
They could make it part of Pre✓ requirements.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Palal
They could make it part of Pre✓ requirements.
That still does not help much. Need a good 95%+ rate of good photos in order to make the system work. Otherwise, the gate still needs close to the same staffing.

The way to make this system work for domestic would be for TSA to capture the photo from the DL and live as the passenger moves past the Officer when scanned at the checkpoint and then the carrier have access to that photo at boarding.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
What is so awful about a boarding pass?
windscar likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:26 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Under extensive discussion since May here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...ired-used.html
Please follow the existing discussion in the thread linked above. Thanks. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.