Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If overhead bins didn't exist, would you still travel via airplane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If overhead bins didn't exist, would you still travel via airplane?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

would I fly if there were no OH compartments? Yes. I travel light, and it wouldn't be a problem to have to check baggage and carry aboard a small bag for essentials.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My trip planning is based on the destination, my needs upon arrival and available resources. No overheads would mean a smaller carry-on that went under the seat and checking bags more often. No biggie.

I am not one of those travelers who assumes a mantle of superiority by boasting how long they've traveled with carry-on. You know the type who says, "Only fools check bags and once I did a 9 month trip and carried everything in a plastic bag from Walmart."

There is no pride going to ridiculous lengths to only travel with carry-on. There is no shame in checking a bag.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
If there were no overhead bin space in airplanes I'd take fewer trips!

Sure, most of the time I'd be fine with a small bag (computer bag) at my feet and everything else in checked luggage. I wouldn't be happy about the increase in time, hassle, and risk of dealing with baggage check and baggage claim on trips where I otherwise would have avoided it-- but I'd tolerate it because going on the trip is important enough to accept those minuses. Except some of the time, particularly with short trips and trips of marginal value, I'd just choose to stay home instead. Even on business trips I could see myself reasoning, "You know, flying has just become too much of a PITA with this change that I'd rather conduct the meeting from home via GoToMeeting/WebEx/Google Hangout/etc."
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by ft101
Agreed - at both ends of the spectrum. An underseat backpack for 6 weeks does not meet the definition of a balanced approach IMO.
How is that NOT balanced? I don't take up overhead room, I don't check anything in saving me and airline/staff time and money, I get on and off quickly, explain how this isn't a good thing?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by travelmad478
If passengers aren’t unloading their own bags from the overheads, baggage handlers will have to be unloading them from the cargo hold. Why do you think that takes zero time? Someone’s moving those bags either way. I don’t think for one second that the process of embarking/disembarking would be appreciably faster if people only had bags under their seats rather than overhead as well. They are still slow to move, slow to find their rows, slow to sit down and stuff their bags under their seats, etc.
Maybe not "zero" but likely less due to the people doing the packing having more experience in doing it quickly.

That said, I feel like there's a lot of padding in airline schedules too that makes the boarding process seem slower. A recent SAN-ABQ flight (and the return trip) on AS for instance started boarding something like 40 minutes before departure; everyone was on board and seated long before departure time as a result.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
That said, I feel like there's a lot of padding in airline schedules too that makes the boarding process seem slower. A recent SAN-ABQ flight (and the return trip) on AS for instance started boarding something like 40 minutes before departure; everyone was on board and seated long before departure time as a result.
My experience has often been the opposite. To me it seems like they often start boarding planes quite a short time before departure, and I wonder how they manage it (as they usually do) to get everyone seated and ready for departure on time.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by ilcannone
This 100%

Almost everyone I speak to finds it absolutely jawdropping that I survive out of a backpack that always goes underneath for trips as long as 6 weeks at a time. I mean, christ, how much does one REALLY need to take?!?!?
I agree with almost everyone. But good for you, Mr. Gandhi.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:31 pm

How is that NOT balanced? I don't take up overhead room, I don't check anything in saving me and airline/staff time and money, I get on and off quickly, explain how this isn't a good thing?
I don't really believe this is a serious post, but just in case, here's some thoughts:

You are at the extreme of the spectrum (as is someone who takes excessive luggage). Extremes are outliers and not reflective of societal norms.

Overheads are there to be used. An airline will not have to employ more staff if you change your habits so no money saved. Staff won't finish early because you travel like that so no personal time saved. Getting on in a hurry benefits no-one - the flight won't leave until the last pax is on board and all checks are completed. Having to get off in a hurry means poor time management to me. You should have been on an earlier flight or given yourself more time post arrival before the next item on your schedule.

All without even starting on the contents of your 6 week, underseat back pack.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by ft101
All without even starting on the contents of your 6 week, underseat back pack.
I don't really understand why this is such an issue for you. In case it isn't clear, I'm not one of these snobby high flyers that continuously post about luggage, contents etc. Besides, what business is it of yours what someone packs? Should I inform you about what I've packed to come to Novosibirsk this weekend? Should I make a thread about my intended Sakhalin trip next month?

Jeez louise.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Yes, I don't use the overhead.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:28 am

I don't really understand why this is such an issue for you. In case it isn't clear, I'm not one of these snobby high flyers that continuously post about luggage, contents etc. Besides, what business is it of yours what someone packs? Should I inform you about what I've packed to come to Novosibirsk this weekend? Should I make a thread about my intended Sakhalin trip next month?

Jeez louise.
Unusual habits at extremes of the spectrum will always generate interest.

You start topics on what you've packed if it pleases you to do so. That's how forums work. Maybe include some inverse snobbery about how minimilist it was.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I am 100% carry-on myself but I think I would happily check bags for the rest of my life if I never had to read the word “rollerboard” ever again.

It’s ROLLABOARD, people. As in ROLL your bag ABOARD.

But once you roll it aboard, please stop rolling it in the aisle. All you do is bump every seat on both sides going down the aisle. Carry the damn thing.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I live in the eastern U.S. and have been to Australia/New Zealand around eight or ten times. Yes, if airplanes didn't have overhead bins I'd spend 2+ weeks in a train to the U.S. west coast and then a steamship to Down Under, plus another two weeks to return. Sure. Just like I would if there were no footrests or seatback pockets. I mean, isn't each of those more important than saving nearly a month of travel time each trip?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
Yes, I don't use the overhead.
I never check luggage. Just carry-on no matter what. I do try to travel F or Business, get off the plane quickly. I added "the plane" to avoid wisecracks....
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
To answer the OP directly... yes, I would be able to adapt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.