Anxiety, fear of flying with Eva Air and Asian airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anxiety, fear of flying with Eva Air and Asian airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by TravthaWo

Understand. I’m curious how many similar events happen elsewhere that go unreported.
You only need to look at www.avherald.com or subscribe to their daily updates to see that there are plenty of incidents involving US carriers. I understand your concerns but don't think they are rationally based.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by simons1
I understand your concerns but don't think they are rationally based.
Agree. This is more like a brand-perception issue, where someone likes Citibank but fears Chase, even though they are quantitatively similar banks.

Right now I’m looking at 3 options. Eva air, Cathay or Japan. Eva air would be premium economy, others not. Flying to LAX.
All three are very good. If you'll visit the US airline forums here, you'll find expert travelers issuing advice to choose these carriers over AA/UA/DL for better service and experience design. If safety were any factor at all, you wouldn't hear such advice.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:06 am

Ive flown in/out the area several times. Only recently became uneasy about it. I’ve accepted it, however still have anxiety. Emirates doesn’t offer any reasonable routes for me (I.e. adding significant flight time). Right now I’m looking at 3 options. Eva air, Cathay or Japan. Eva air would be premium economy, others not. Flying to LAX.
You should be able to find one of the US3 airlines flying from Japan (at least Tokyo), Hong Kong and Taiwan to LAX. Not an issue there.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
You should be able to find one of the US3 airlines flying from Japan (at least Tokyo), Hong Kong and Taiwan to LAX. Not an issue there.

Yes. I just have to book seperate bookings completely if using US airline from my location since none available. Which I might do based on the below.

I just noticed AA has premium economy on the 77w hkg to lax for reasonable price. Has anyone experienced the new retrofit on 77w in premium? I’ve narrowed it down to this or Eva air premium. I’ve flown Eva premium on 77w and it’s decent. I can’t find many reviews on AA’s new premium economy on 77w. Found some on 787 only.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm sure the Asiana crash at SFO didn't instill much confidence in flyers. Apparently the FO and/or captain certainly had thousands of hours of flight experience but it turned out 99% of those hours were autoland and not landing the plane manually.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I certainly understand anxiety about flying domestic carriers in parts of the world that don't have the same level of investment in maintenance, a strong regulatory oversight, or the same safety culture that the better airlines of the world have.

But having that anxiety about JL or CX seems misguided. I've never flown Eva, but safety concerns would not prevent me from doing so.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I certainly understand anxiety about flying domestic carriers in parts of the world that don't have the same level of investment in maintenance, a strong regulatory oversight, or the same safety culture that the better airlines of the world have.

But having that anxiety about JL or CX seems misguided. I've never flown Eva, but safety concerns would not prevent me from doing so.
I should clarify, CX (especially CX since most of there long haul pilots are brits or Ausies) and JL I’m not to concerned with safety. I was focused on Eva since they have the preferred route for me. I had an uneasy feeling just because they don’t seem very transparent about incidents they have compared to the others mentioned. I know I’m making a big deal out of nothing so I’ve decided to book with Eva and work the anxiety out.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I’ve decided to go with Eva air since it’s the best route and offering for me. Based on the feedback from everyone I know I’ll be good regarding safety. Thanks to all.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:13 pm

I’ve decided to go with Eva air since it’s the best route and offering for me. Based on the feedback from everyone I know I’ll be good regarding safety. Thanks to all.
It's not just the feedback here. Have a look at Jacdec Safety rankings....I think Eva is rated more highly than any major US carrier.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:49 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Time to lock this up
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.