Best Airline to fly economy SF - HK or LA- HK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united
Best Airline to fly economy SF - HK or LA- HK

Hi guys

Im traveling to Hong Kong next month, so I have a question

I traveled via United a couple months back, but I had to purchase a economy plus seat for an extra 200USD since im a tall guy ( 6"3),

Enjoyed the extra leg room but after doing some research I found out that United is considered one of the worst flight to Hong Kong in economy

What is the best airline to fly economy then? I've heard Cathay is one of the best , but there is also AA,

I appreciate your recommendation,

and also what section would you recommend for the flight?

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Contrary to what you have heard - the best economy for SFO-HKG is SQ (Singapore Airlines). Even I am skeptical with Skytrax's rating, SQ is rated as the second best economy in the world.

While I won't argue that UA is the worst among all nonstop services, again, UA is the most popular choice among travelers.

Although CX has the "reputation" as one of the best, it is currently racing to the bottle. In some case, it is even worse than UA.

HX (Hong Kong Airlines) is a new player for the markets. But its reputation isn't as good as you think. And the service is not as consistent as others.

AA is similar to UA.

So the bottom line question is - what exactly are you expecting? Your expectation actually determines what airline choice is for you.

It seems you have no status with any airlines. So it is moot to tell you where to sit, as your seat selection may be limited, unless you pay extra.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:50 pm

Ana flies some routes LAX-TYO 2-4-3 , 34"+16.5. bulkhead/exit is blocked, but selectable by anyone during checkin if still available

​​​​​​Cx/UA/sq... Typically has 31-32" + 17-19 width. Do you care about width?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:56 pm

AA Premium Economy can be had for under 1k on certain dates in October. Check google flights. Check this out post: bulkhead row, window seats = leg room for days.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Do SQ or, if you are prepared to change in Taipei, BR is not bad.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by caburrito
AA Premium Economy can be had for under 1k on certain dates in October. Check google flights. Check this out post: bulkhead row, window seats = leg room for days.
This seems like a pretty good deal - on a flight that long, I'd want every square inch in any direction I could get, plus whatever recline I could get. A true PE seat (38x19) would feel a *lot* better than an Economy Plus seat (35x17.5 or whatever).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

I will always go with an Asian carrier over a US one when I am forced to ride in coach. They just have better, more attentive, and respectful customer service and the Y package is not that bad according to most travel reports.

Cathay is considered one of the BEST airlines in the world so far as customer service goes. In the interests of full disclosure tho, I have never flown in their Y product, just J and F.

AA runs a code share flight LAX-HKG, that is actually operated by Cathay. That's my first choice for LAX-HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.