Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pajama etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Pajama etiquette?

No, have not yet flown on a flight with pajamas. Hopefully in the soon.
I searched, but maybe didn't put the search terms correctly.

So I see the thread about *changing* into pajamas.

For a variety of reasons I don't wear pajamas (at home). I'm not advocating sleeping in the buff on the plane, or in just underwear.
If it gets warm, is it "ok" to like maybe remove the top (the "shirt" portion) of the pajamas (male)?
Would it make a difference if you're in an enclosed suite/cubicle (but maybe not the fully enclosed one)? Like a Kosmo 2.0 or QSuite?
What if you just "go to bed" with shorts (not underwear, but actual shorts) and a t-shirt rather than the pajamas?

Sorry for what is probably really dumb questions.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's fine to wear a t-shirt and/or shorts no matter the class of your cabin. I prefer to not see a bare chested man.
obscure2k, clubeurope and lmashton like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's fine to wear a t-shirt and/or shorts no matter the class of your cabin. I prefer to not see a bare chested man.
T-shirt OR shorts?

On a more serious note: Whenever my flight is 6 hours or more, I promptly change into BA or AA issued pajamas for the bulk of the trip, for comfort.
BBQman98 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
If it gets warm, is it "ok" to like maybe remove the top (the "shirt" portion) of the pajamas (male)?
This would definitely lead to being featured in an FT etiquette thread.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
At home I sleep without a shirt. On Cathay where its a bit warm, I've always just worn a very light weight under armor style gym t shirt with basketball shorts. On AA which has individual AC vents, I turn it on full blast and just use the AA long sleeve top and pajama pants provided and manage to stay cool. I haven't seen anyone shirtless before, I think it would be a bit odd in an airplane setting as some may be uncomfortable with that. Wouldn't bother me though.
anniegray, hurnik and clubeurope like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't take your shirt off on the plane. That's just wrong.
If it gets too warm for the provided pj top, I suggest carrying a very lightweight t-shirt with you to change into. Like a Reebok Speedwick.
At home (and in my hotel room) I sleep unclothed by choice. I hate the way clothes get twisted around while I sleep. But on an overnight flight, even if pjs are on offer, I change into that t-shirt and it's matching jogger that I'm carrying in any event as part of my travel wardrobe. They're about as comfortable as anything I've found.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Covered is the etiquette, including a shirt of some sort (t-shirt or undershirt). Bring light clothing, because many airlines keep the cabin warm (BA and AF I'm looking at you in particular!). I always bring a pair of basketball shorts as my pajamas. Nice to be cool and have elastic.

To me the question is more about when to change into pajamas. I'd rather do so in the terminal but my wife insists I wait so we "don't look like hobos boarding in business class". So I tend to just wait until either just before or just after the meal service.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by catcher1
T-shirt OR shorts?
HA HA HA!
I don't want to see you, OP, or anyone else on a plane without your shirt on, but if I have to pick between your shirt and your shorts ...
wrp96, Scots_Al and hurnik like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cubbie
I don't want to see you, OP, or anyone else on a plane without your shirt on, but if I have to pick between your shirt and your shorts ...
Seriously.... there are very few people I encounter on airplanes that I'd like to see without clothing. There was this one good looking blond woman on my ANA flight a few months back and that's about it. PJs are given out for a reason. Wear them, or an equivalent personal substitute. When I'm flying overnight in economy I usually wear gym/athletic shorts and a tshirt. In J/F I'll wear what they hand out.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AA
You make a good point about exceptions to the rule, krazykanuck. On reflection, Ryan Gosling comes to mind for me ...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Don't take your shirt off on the plane. That's just wrong.
If it gets too warm for the provided pj top, I suggest carrying a very lightweight t-shirt with you to change into. Like a Reebok Speedwick.
At home (and in my hotel room) I sleep unclothed by choice. I hate the way clothes get twisted around while I sleep. But on an overnight flight, even if pjs are on offer, I change into that t-shirt and it's matching jogger that I'm carrying in any event as part of my travel wardrobe. They're about as comfortable as anything I've found.
LOL, I guess I should've clarified a bit. What I was really trying to get at was this scenario:
You're in one of those enclosed suites (Kosmo 2.0 or Qsuite, or such), and you're under the sheet (but no comforter--assuming they even set up the beds like that), and remove the shirt while still being under the sheet?

Anyway, probably best to look at that Rebook Speedwick or maybe a tank-top style T-shirt.
Or just hope that it's not sweltering.

Although the image of the T-shirt OR shorts scenario is quite amusing/scary.
I saw that post about the Emirates first class person who got nude. Misleading title. They got nude *in the shower* and took a selfie (female). My first thought was that someone took off their clothes and pranced around in First class (hey with all the other stuff going on you never know). LOL!

So "etiquette" seems to be:
1) Change into pajamas or shorts/t-shirt in the bathroom
2) Hope you don't sweat your butt off. LOL! Maybe I'll borrow my dog's "chillow".

Although I can't recall it being too warm on the Emirates flight from JFK to Dubai (granted that was like 5 years ago and in economy-ugh). Although we had a screaming baby the whole flight so I didn't sleep.

But that last AA flight was just brutal.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
At home I sleep without a shirt. On Cathay where its a bit warm, I've always just worn a very light weight under armor style gym t shirt with basketball shorts. On AA which has individual AC vents, I turn it on full blast and just use the AA long sleeve top and pajama pants provided and manage to stay cool. I haven't seen anyone shirtless before, I think it would be a bit odd in an airplane setting as some may be uncomfortable with that. Wouldn't bother me though.
Yeah, no I would not "go about" the cabin sans shirt. Too many people would be psychologically scarred for life. (Like the CIA folks who may or may not have turned on my various cameras at home--boy are they in for a shock-haha).

I can just see folks running: "My eyes!!!"
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik
LOL, I guess I should've clarified a bit. What I was really trying to get at was this scenario:
You're in one of those enclosed suites (Kosmo 2.0 or Qsuite, or such), and you're under the sheet (but no comforter--assuming they even set up the beds like that), and remove the shirt while still being under the sheet?
I don't know how others feel, but heck, if you can handle the contortions and remember to put it back on before getting out from under, go for it. Oh and put the belt on outside the sheet to keep it in place.
If there's some kind of evacuation event, and there's no time, I don't think you being shirtless is going to matter to anyone.
But...try the shirt.
hurnik likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:46 pm

My recommendation would be to find a happy medium for your clothing. I usually carry a small USB fan with me so if it's a tad warm (I don't see it on the Walmart site, but it was a $10 cheapie with a built-in stand) and there are no vents, I have some form of air movement regardless of the heat. If it's really warm, I just ask for a cup/glass with some ice that I put in front of the fan.

If it's too cold, you can always ask for a blanket.

Easy peasy.
clubeurope, rickg523 and hurnik like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
This thread is more entertaining than many TV channels. Thank you
hurnik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.