Wiki Posts
Search

People who just point at their seat without eye contact or an excuse me

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
People who just point at their seat without eye contact or an excuse me

This is not specific to BA but more of a pervasive issue. I normally choose an aisle seat and find it staggering how many people who need to get past me on the same row simply point at their seat without so much as an 'excuse me' or anything. Often not even any eye contact. What is happening to people? Too much social media? Good manners will soon be extinct sadly.
flygirl68, pharmawalk and Gringa like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

I don't have a problem with this, since I will always have my earphones in likely watching something on my phone. Therefore the person sitting in the window/middle seat will need to point/wave to get my attention for me to allow them into their seat. If they say something (polite or not) it won't be heard
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I refuse to move unless I receive notification by bluetooth.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I assume the person doing the pointing is a total stranger ?

I mean ....... as opposed to your travelling partner
tynmar and smokie36 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:14 pm

I suspect part of the reason is shyness, plus a reluctance to address someone in a language they might not understand.
bruceba likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Must admit I'm terribly British when trying to get to the window seat - "Hi, sorry, excuse me, can I just squeeze past? Sorry, thanks"
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Multiple apologies in advance for something that’s not your fault ... it’s the BRITISH WAY!!
frandrake, cruisr, dougzz and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:51 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
This happened to me 4 hours ago and I didn't even think twice about it until I saw this thread.
makrom, beltway and SANspotter like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by T8191
Multiple apologies in advance for something that’s not your fault ... it’s the BRITISH WAY!!

No, its the Canadian way.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
I was on a flight last week and always end up in aisle seats due to my preference through my travel agency at work. Well, apparently this time I actually had the window and didn't realize it until the other passenger showed up as looked straight at the window and said (loudly), "YOU'RE IN MY SEAT."

I proceeded to move and he tried to start up a conversation to which I put on my headphones and told him "No thanks" basically. He proceeded to drink 6 screwdrivers on a 4 hour flight, some of which were doubles.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cmatthews11
I was on a flight last week and always end up in aisle seats due to my preference through my travel agency at work. Well, apparently this time I actually had the window and didn't realize it until the other passenger showed up as looked straight at the window and said (loudly), "YOU'RE IN MY SEAT."

I proceeded to move and he tried to start up a conversation to which I put on my headphones and told him "No thanks" basically. He proceeded to drink 6 screwdrivers on a 4 hour flight, some of which were doubles.
Did you scoff his chicken salad?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I normally let it slide if it happens to me, if it's pre-take off it could be down to a nut warming incident, or in the air the lack of conversation could be down to a recent teabagging incident in the galley.....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
You ought to try flying domestic Russian flights. Not only will that happen, but if it's a woman, you'll be expected to put her bag(s) in the overhead lockers without her even asking!
STBCypriot and Takiteasy like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
For me, this complaint falls into the 'minutiae' category. It has to be something serious like people stopping as they exit an escalator or revolving door causing a pileup behind them before I'll start ranting.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Manners are long gone I am afraid and looking at my Millennial peers this is going to be much worse...
Great_circle, T8191, HIDDY and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.