Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

US and European Driver's License?? Is it possible??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US and European Driver's License?? Is it possible??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fassy
As far as I know you can have as many driver licenses as you like...

<snip>

But at least the German license never expires (for now, until they change that) and is valid world wide.

Yes, you can have as many as you like, though some jurisdictions have residency requirements that need to be fulfilled. German licenses expire after 15 years now.

Last edited by LondonElite; Jul 24, 2018 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
German licenses expire after 25 years now.
Oh well!. Just checked, it is only 15 years for licenses issued after 2013!... missed that completely
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fassy
Oh well!. Just checked, it is only 15 years for licenses issued after 2013!... missed that completely
Correct. 25 was a typo (corrected).
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Why would anyone care what her reason is and why would the advice become pointless based on the reason?
She may prefer to have a valid local form of ID even if she's there one day a decade.
I agree it's impossible to answer about a jurisdiction's policies or laws without knowing the jurisdiction, but the reasons she wants it may not be meaningful or logical to you or anyone else, but don't change the answer to the question.
Well perhaps if you thought about why the OP might care rather than why anyone else(you) might care, you would be able to answer your own question.

For example, ff the OP simply wants to be able to drive legally in the country when there and her existing US license is acceptable in that country, then the OP (not you) would have no need to get another license.

It is not whether the reason is meaningful to me that matters, but I do not assume the reason is meaningful to the OP either. I ask for clarification before offering advice that may not be relevant to the OP. I don't just blindly answer and risk giving bad advice.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by John Isaac
Thank you for all the advice. We own a condo in her home country and spend the summers there (we are both teachers). Once we retire, we plan to spend 6 months there and 6 months back in the U.S. (and thus don't want to have to get an IDP every year). She never got a European license before emigrating to the US (her first was in our home US state). I think she will be ok in taking the test and getting a European license in addition to keeping her US one. But, wish us luck!!!

I don't know why you want to keep the country in question a secret John Isaac but it makes a difference to what would make the most sense.

Here is a quote:

" In general terms, though, most European countries do not require American drivers to have an IDP.

However, the following countries do require International Driver's Permits in conjunction with valid United States' driver's licenses: Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, and Spain; again, you might not even be asked for the IDP in these countries, but technically you're required to have one or risk being fined."

It is taken from here: https://www.tripsavvy.com/drivers-permit-europe-468475

Also note the 'technically you're required' which also makes a difference. For example, Greece is on that list as a country that requires you to have one. I drove for 7 years year round on a Canadian Driving License with an expired (by up to 7 years) IDP. On several occassions I had to produce my license and IDP for the Police. Not once did they ask why I did not have a Greek license or why I was giving them an expired IDP.

What does matter however 'technically' is whether you and your wife will be 'deemed resident' for tax purposes and if so, what affect that would obviously have on car insurance. Being 'deemed resident for tax purposes' varies by country. It usually is determined by a specific number of days per year being spent in that country, whether you own property (as you do), etc. So again, which country you are talking about makes a difference. You say '6 months' but it may be that if you stay 179 days per year in country X, they will not 'deem you resident' and your wife or you can drive on your US driving license and insure a car quite legally for as many years as you wish to continue moving back and forth and without having to have an IDP at all.

This is just a simple explanation but it should make it clear enough to you that you need to name the country if you want advice that is relevant to your situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.