Cutting vacation short because foreign country is... too foreign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cutting vacation short because foreign country is... too foreign

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by walter82
As an aside it was also a strange trip as we had an 80 yo grandmother on the tour with 2 VERY heavy bags. We cursed them until we discovered Vietnam at the time was not set up for tourists. She would magically produce our every need from the bags and I fondly recall our afternoon teas with her. Yep she had brought an electric kettle with her and a tea set.
The 80 yo granny did better research than u Walter! lol
Ya VN wasn't that set up in around 10-15 years ago, but nowadays it's good to visit and i always want to spend more time there than cutting it short!

The only time that i encounter the cut-short situation was, unbelievably, in Singapore. Some of my friends got really sick because of the heat and sun there and they wanted to go back Hong Kong. However the flight tickets were tooooo expensive that they end up spending 2 full days in the hotel room trying to recover (while the other of us go wander around in the heat haha).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The only times I've cut a trip short is due to weather but they were all in North America. There are foreign places that I didn't care for however I stuck it out, couldn't leave soon enough and will never go back.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jul 16, 2018 at 5:47 am
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:09 am

I've flown out to ATL from Florida a day early to avoid Irma.
Also when I visited family on a Caribbean island flying there from freezing temps in Europe I spent the first two /three days rather miserable in front of a fan as the family lived in a house with no AC and I wasn't used to that kind of heat plus coming in from snow and freezing temperatures did not help.
I think sometimes with weather you need to give yourself a couple of days to acclimate before deciding if you can take it.
I prefer to stay somewhere with AC in that kind of climate and I am willing to pay a small premium for a room with AC - but that won't stop me from visiting my family who still live in homes without AC in the Caribbean again some time
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Happened to me in Slovakia. I was on a 6 day trip through Germany/Austria with a planned stop in Bratislava for a day to you know, see the sights. We took a train from Vienna and the moment we stepped out of the train, my girlfriend did not feel safe and we walked for a quite and that did not go away. It was just a bit too, umm, different. We finally found a shopping mall, made it inside, called an Uber, cancelled the hotel and made a bee line to the train station to go back to Vienna. We were there a whole hour and 30 minutes.

Not saying it's a bad place, it just didn't look too safe.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Hasn't happened to me thus far and it's hard to imagine it would, but you never know I suppose. I haven't enjoyed every place the same, and some locations I wouldn't plan to go back to, but none have been so bad that I wanted to bolt early.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:21 am
Suspended

There are places I would not travel too for varying reasons but there is no place I have travelled to that I wanted to leave because it was 'too foreign'. While I have heard of people doing this, I really don't understand how they got themselves into such a situation in the first place.

When living in Greece, I heard a story first hand from a tour company rep of a tourist who asked to be sent home on the next flight as, 'there were too many foreigners (meaning Greeks)'. Huh? What would you expect to find, only English (the tourist was English) people on a Greek island?

Another perhaps more understandable example that I have heard of is people visiting countries like India and when confronted with the poverty all around them, can't cope. That at least is somewhat understandable although anyone doing enough of their own research should know what to expect.

I think that research is the real issue in such situations. The lack of it, that is.
muji and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by walter82
As an aside it was also a strange trip as we had an 80 yo grandmother on the tour with 2 VERY heavy bags. We cursed them until we discovered Vietnam at the time was not set up for tourists. She would magically produce our every need from the bags and I fondly recall our afternoon teas with her. Yep she had brought an electric kettle with her and a tea set.
On my first trip to China in 1985, we were in a tour group that included a family with parents who were Chinese-born. (Both doctors in CA, if I recall.) They had a huge suitcase packed with all sorts of portable food, and kept not only their children but many of us nourished on days when the meal selection left something to be desired. (China had only recently opened to foreign tourism and was still working out the kinks.)

To more directly answer your question: I've never cut short a vacation, but did live for several years in the Middle East. We were in one of the nicest expat compounds you could find, but a couple times a year would hear about people who relocated (on the company dime) only to discover they just didn't like living in the Middle East. The company -- and it's a huge one that's well known -- had an amazing onboarding/orientation program for every family member to prevent just such a situation, but it still resulted in some people who didn't understand what they were getting into. (My parents both spent time in the country, as the company's guests, before making the decision; my Mom went through a multi-day orientation program in the US; once we arrived we all went through an orientation program, etc.)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:21 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Happened to me in Slovakia. I was on a 6 day trip through Germany/Austria with a planned stop in Bratislava for a day to you know, see the sights. We took a train from Vienna and the moment we stepped out of the train, my girlfriend did not feel safe and we walked for a quite and that did not go away. It was just a bit too, umm, different. We finally found a shopping mall, made it inside, called an Uber, cancelled the hotel and made a bee line to the train station to go back to Vienna. We were there a whole hour and 30 minutes.

Not saying it's a bad place, it just didn't look too safe.
I cannot imagine what caused that. Bratislava (and all of Slovakia) is incredibly safe - I lived there for a year.
muji likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:32 pm

I was on a trip and ended up in a place so uninteresting that I booked a earlier flight to the next stop. But, for me, the more foreign/perplexing/confounding/disorienting the better.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Out of 90 countries, I've done this once. I booked 4 days in Mongolia over New Years.

It was beyond cold, everything was closed, and a good time was nowhere to be had. I left after 2 days. I don't regret it, though; I can always go back during a more hospitable time of the year.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jakejohnson
you've just experienced culture shock and that's part of traveling.
I’d say the Americans who went to experience Russia in the late 1930’s and 1940’s wouldn’t agree with this romantic notion of limitless tolerance for “culture shock”. Most of them ended up dying of famine exhaustion and cold in the gulags. So yes - there are limits. There’s a point where it’s best to cut your losses and leave the locals to deal with the mess their corrupt and inept governments have created.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
This sort of thing only happens to me on road trips in the UK - at 5pm I realise that I'm still where I planned to be at 1pm because the roads are "too foreign" so I have to skip my afternoon plans and try to get to my next night stop on time...
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:17 am

We did this during a family trip to Mexico City. Mexico City was incredible, the history was amazing, the culture was fantastic, and the food was delightful, at least until I had a Tostada and suddenly my insides wanted to be on my outsides. 2 days later, once I could walk again we went to the airport and bought the first flight out.

It was really a shame, and now I need to go back to experience everything I missed out on. Next time, though, no tostadas.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by jakejohnson
you've just experienced culture shock and that's part of traveling.
Who 'you'?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:31 am

I almost left India early. Was in Delhi for the end of a trip (already had been there for a week), friend had left, found everything dirty and cold (didn't realize it gets cold in the winter, many hotels have heating issues). But stuck it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.