Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Visiting higher/lower cabins during a flight. What's the etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting higher/lower cabins during a flight. What's the etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
A lot of cultures don't like the confrontation and let you walk around. Doesn't mean everyone else likes it.
I think the business class passengers are the most annoyed, when the first class passengers stroll around "just to see what it is like down there"
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't get the big deal about why economy passengers need to come up to "see" first. They can see it in pics and on youtube.
Maybe it's less about economy passengers "seeing first" than it is about "being seen in first" by those same economy passengers (employees/grovelers/hangers on).

"Hey! once we're in the air, why don't you come up and see how the other half lives! (and then go the hell away and fold yourself back into that taco shell they call a seat back there, for the next 15 hours) Now, I can't let you *sit* in my seat, heh heh, that's not allowed... but I can let you admire it from a respectful distance, if you promise not to drool everywhere."
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
A couple is flying LAX-LHR. For the wife, they purchase J (to maximize AA EQDs). Husband buys coach, hoping for upgrade (miles/copay). Husband doesn't get upgrade. How do folks feel about a mid-flight switch?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catcher1
A couple is flying LAX-LHR. For the wife, they purchase J (to maximize AA EQDs). Husband buys coach, hoping for upgrade (miles/copay). Husband doesn't get upgrade. How do folks feel about a mid-flight switch?
I think it's cheap. Like bringing your own popcorn to the movies or taking a doggy bag from a buffet. Buy two J tickets..THAT will maximize AA EQDs, and you can maintain your dignity.
Statman, Carnforth and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
They can walk around all they want....in the appropriate cabin. Higher classes are exclusive...they literally EXCLUDE those who don't belong there. That is part of the product offered. Everyone can walk around their own cabin and the one below. But not up a cabin.
Originally Posted by TBD
For economy passengers wandering up to J or F, sure. That's the etiquette component of this question.

But the other way around? No way BA is going to tell an F passenger to get out of the Y cabin.
I was recently on a UA flight from LHR to IAH in J. After a few hours I felt a need to walk around and stretch my legs. I wandered do the back of the Y cabin and then back up the other aisle. Halfway back to J, I was politely told by a FA that I should please stay in my ticketed cabin. Just sayin'.
Carnforth and clubeurope like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by catcher1
Mid-flight switches are pretty much universally frowned upon.

Two people traveling together in separate cabins happens for all sorts of reasons (the 1 upgrade clearing being a common one). When it happens, decide who sits in the higher cabin before the flight and then locate each other as soon as you can get out of the flow of deplaning traffic in the arrival terminal.

I seriously don't know why this is hard for people. We had a long thread where some people were suggesting that you shouldn't accept the one upgrade. Both people (able-bodied adults) should sit in coach instead of splitting up. OK, fine, if I'm next on the upgrade queue it's a win for me, but it boggles my mind why otherwise normal functioning people can't survive an airplane ride alone. I'm happy with *any* upgrade that clears these days, even if that means my wife goes to J and I'm in Y....
Carnforth likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm happy with *any* upgrade that clears these days, even if that means my wife goes to J and I'm in Y....
Is there any other way?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:08 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I was recently on a UA flight from LHR to IAH in J. After a few hours I felt a need to walk around and stretch my legs. I wandered do the back of the Y cabin and then back up the other aisle. Halfway back to J, I was politely told by a FA that I should please stay in my ticketed cabin. Just sayin'.
Well UA is the gold standard in service by which all other airlines compare themselves.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TBD
Well UA is the gold standard in service by which all other airlines compare themselves.
These days I would put BA into that same group.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:45 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
These days I would put BA into that same group.
That makes me sad.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:07 pm
Suspended

She was probably trying to prevent you from being contaminated by coach cooties, and then infecting the rest of J.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
On AC, I was once seated in the first bulkhead row of economy while my parents were seated in the 2nd business cabin which was almost empty. Crew had no issues having me visit them (I came by twice over a 8 hr flight) and after the meal and they even gave me a desert I could eat beside them (lots of empty seats around). And for those wondering, no, I did not use the J lavs.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Mid-flight switches are pretty much universally frowned upon.

Two people traveling together in separate cabins happens for all sorts of reasons (the 1 upgrade clearing being a common one). When it happens, decide who sits in the higher cabin before the flight and then locate each other as soon as you can get out of the flow of deplaning traffic in the arrival terminal.

I seriously don't know why this is hard for people. We had a long thread where some people were suggesting that you shouldn't accept the one upgrade. Both people (able-bodied adults) should sit in coach instead of splitting up. OK, fine, if I'm next on the upgrade queue it's a win for me, but it boggles my mind why otherwise normal functioning people can't survive an airplane ride alone. I'm happy with *any* upgrade that clears these days, even if that means my wife goes to J and I'm in Y....
OK, OK, I have been sufficiently spanked and humiliated. I won't do it any more.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
On AC, I was once seated in the first bulkhead row of economy while my parents were seated in the 2nd business cabin which was almost empty. Crew had no issues having me visit them (I came by twice over a 8 hr flight) and after the meal and they even gave me a desert I could eat beside them (lots of empty seats around). And for those wondering, no, I did not use the J lavs.
Hi all, is this the consensus when parents travel in C and other family members in PE/Y? My parents don't speak any English and we might book a BA or Finnair flight to Asia soon. They will be in C and me and my wife in PE or maybe Y. Can I visit them occassionally for a few minutes and translate the menu for them etc.?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by altalk08
Hi all, is this the consensus when parents travel in C and other family members in PE/Y? My parents don't speak any English and we might book a BA or Finnair flight to Asia soon. They will be in C and me and my wife in PE or maybe Y. Can I visit them occassionally for a few minutes and translate the menu for them etc.?
Do your parents speak the language of the country you are flying to? if that is the case, I am betting a member of the crew may well speak that language and can assist. If it is another language, I suggest you write out for them, in English "My son is in seat 22K, please could you fetch him to translate for me, I don't understand" so the request is from them, not from you.
altalk08 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.